Tell me how to fight aka I don't want to run anymore.

Topics related to Second Age
Sulta
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Tell me how to fight aka I don't want to run anymore.

Post by Sulta »

All I am asking for is information: hints, tricks of the trade etc. to fight those pesky pk's.

I've searched the forums a bit and most everything says...don't go here,don't do this, be ready to recall... I did this originally long ago, started doing this as soon as I started playing here but I think it would be more fun to start fighting back. Yep, I'll probably die...I've never pvp'd before I have almost always ran (the rest of the time I started to run and died lol) but I will also learn AND I will also have more fun fighting back than running. I hope to find that I actually enjoy pvp since it is a huge part of UO.

So please those that know could you please help out with some info:

What template/skill set and stats would be best for someone who isn't looking to start a fight but would like to stay and fight when the fight is brought to her.

What are the tactics? What spells/weapons etc should always be ready, once the fighting starts what is the fastest way to take control of the action? Any info would be appreciated!

ClowN

Re: Tell me how to fight aka I don't want to run anymore.

Post by ClowN »

either play as a tank mage template (swords, tacts, magery, med, resist, wrestling, eval), or a pvp dexxer template (weapon skill, tactics, healing, anatomy, resist + 2 other skills, i would use hiding, poisoning, parry, or magery).

with either of those templates you should be able to hold your own againsed most PK's. only thing that sucks is both templates are pretty shitty for pvm, so if your planning on farming, its gonna be a pain in the ass.

what i usually do, is use my pvm character to farm dungeons, and then have my PVPer hidden near where i am farming at. that way if a PK comes, i can recall away on my PVMer, and instantly engage them on my PVP char.

as far as PVP tactics are concerned, it really depends on your template. i would build your PVP character and then maybe start dueling with friends to get the hang of it before u try to stand your ground againsed an experienced PK.

with the tank mage template, you will need to work on spell combos, and timing your disrupts to be effective

with the dexxer, you will not rely much on magery, but it is essential that you carry plenty of trapped pouches and potions to survive. explosion potions are gods gift to dexxers, use them. poison always helps too

as far as stats are concerned, i would go with 100 str, 100 int, 25 dex for a tank mage. for the dexxer i would do 100 str, 100 dex, 25 int.

Red

Post by Red »

There are quite a few places that can be hunted with a tank mage. Most of the time they involve EVs, Daemons, and EQ which are high level spells. It helps a lot to carry a few of these scrolls just in case you can't afford to fizzle. Granted, most PvM with a tank mage isn't efficient at all, but a few places are.

If you're going up against more than one guy, just recall.

If it's just one guy, smack him with your hally while he's casting on you, and heal up immediately afterwards. If you can survive that, knock his reflect off and start debuffing him. Chances are they might recall after this point. They're always looking for the easy prey, and if there's a chance they might die, they usually run. If they stick around after that, prep an exp and get a good hally whack in. *EXP EB HALLY* It's best to carry some GH pots so you can chug while you're casting(not while the target is up).

Sulta
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Sulta »

Thanks guys! This info will hopefully give me a place to start from so I can get my bearings and not run away...Anytime that I have been confronted with pvp by a pk I'm so hyped I have never really thought of how to actually handle the situation beyond running away.

I really appreciate your answers. Thanks!

Red

Post by Red »

Fight or Flight :)

Sulta
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Sulta »

Red wrote:Fight or Flight :)
Absolutely! And why should I have to deal with "flight instinct" because of a game lol, when it's over it's not like I'm going..."whew hoo, I ran away and I survived!"...it's more like, "crap, now where can I/we go". I know I'm not the only person who runs when a pk appears on screen but I have gotten bored of it. Time to release (or at least work on) the "fight instinct" you mentioned.

mrbojangles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by mrbojangles »

imo the best template for survival is the medi dexxer
Melee/tactics/healing/anat/magery/resist/med

You can use Gheals and bandaids and cure with magery making you a very hard target to kill.

as far as tactics go, well practice will do you world more benefit than anything you can be told in the forums, so i suggest you find some friends and do plenty of duels.

one of the most important parts of pvp is the disrupt. You just need to find that proverbial sweet-spot for when to cast a disrupting spell like debuffs/harm/fireball/etc in order to block a gheal.

If you play a tank mage tabbing out and using 'attack last target' are absolutely key. If you punch someone then you've wasted your ten second timeout on hally hits. so always stay out of combat and then hit your attack last target key only when you want your hally to swing, dont leave swing times up to chance.

explo/ebolt doesnt work here, dont ask me why, it's just not effective. Explo followed by a quick casting spell is the best method but personally i stay away from explode all together and use an ebolt/harm combo.

and if you choose the path of medi dexxer you can still easily make 20-30k an hour killing liches with a silver weapon. and as long as pk's dont catch you at low health you'll definatley be able to defend yourself
Omar Little(irc) / Mr Bojangles / Bowie / Snake Plisken / Martin Van Buren / Dirty Ore

Visit the The Yew Gate Shop for everything you need.

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

to be honest, its hard enough to even kill someone with the pvp system the way it is, just hold down ur greater heal macro... thats all the defense ya need.
Halleluyah
<DemonArkanis> hopefully ill go to hell and not have to listen to your bullshit

Creager

Post by Creager »

Everything mentioned above is some pretty good information. I will assume you will opt for the tank mage since its one of the more practical pvp templates for the era.

First and formorest RUN! Even if you are there to fight, don’t stop moving. Keep your enemy in the chase. Creating separation gives you a chance to cast spells off screen. This could also force your opponent dumping prematurely, effectively wasting it.

Set hotkeys for everything. Last target, target self, and arm/disarm are just the bare minimum.

Carry potions and trapped pouches. You want to have at least a couple greater heal potions, total refresh potions, greater cure potions, and maybe three to five trapped pouches.

You can bind the trapped pouches to your keyboard using the razor 'use-once' feature.

Before you go anywhere, the first thing you should cast is magic reflect. Reactive armor is also good. In fighting a dexer, its wise to recast reactive armor basically after every hit.

The first spell you should cast is harm or magic arrow to 'kill' your opponent’s magic reflect.

If a group of mages is after you, create separation and cast off their screen. Try to keep magic reflect up. This will prevent most sync-dumps from being successful.

If you want to learn, the best thing you could do is ask someone for a duel. Make them aware you are learning and you don’t want to duel for loot. Most people will probably be open for such. Even that pk who is coming after you: ask him, "duel?" Their reaction could surprise you.
Jono | Carnous | Micro

Cue_Ball

Post by Cue_Ball »

Creager wrote:... Even that pk who is coming after you: ask him, "duel?" Their reaction could surprise you.
Aye, you will be surprised. I get robbed more then PK'd when I'm out mining or chopping trees.

alatar

Post by alatar »

throw all of your supplies on the ground
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Sulta
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Sulta »

What exactly are the unwritten rules of dueling?

I can guess that there are two toons fighting (to the death of one I assume, is that correct?)...I get that, but anything else I should know before I go out and ask someone "duel?" hehe

Mor'Sereg

Post by Mor'Sereg »

Yes, people like to create lots of rules for duels. If you chug a pot during a duel your opponent will probably cry like a baby. Just ask someone to duel and then go no holds barred on them. When they start whinning like a baby you'll figure out the rules.

Creager

Post by Creager »

Sulta wrote:What exactly are the unwritten rules of dueling?

I can guess that there are two toons fighting (to the death of one I assume, is that correct?)...I get that, but anything else I should know before I go out and ask someone "duel?" hehe
Typically the rules of a duel will be determined by the setting in which the challenge is presented. If you randomly ask someone in the field, you are implying "field rules," where virtually anything goes.

If you ask for "duel rules," your opponent should recognize that you want to duel with no potions (except for red ones), no magic weapons or armor, no poisoned weapons, no paralyze spell, no hiding, no summoning, and no pets. Some even go as far to say no poison spell, although personally I don’t see a problem with the spell.

You should also ask for "no loot." Anyone who wants to duel for loot isn’t interested in teaching you how to duel. Make them aware you are new to pvp and you wish to learn, some people will be very open to this and may take you “under their wing.” It would be wise to duel at a shrine somewhere, since you will be dying a lot =)

Dying is apart of the game, even those who have been pvping since 1997 still die. You just have to keep in mind, spell and weapon damages are based of probability. The true ‘skill’ involved is one’s unique timing. You win by ‘faking people out,’ catching them off guard, and tricking them into doing stuff which gives you an advantage. Otherwise there are only so many “combos” and ways to interrupt people; in essence nobody is doing anything different than anyone else.
Jono | Carnous | Micro

TheEttinKing

Post by TheEttinKing »

First step is to gm you tamer then run around with ten dragons and blast everyone to f'ng hell its what onslaught does and he seems to f'ng enjoy it.
The only real challenge in this is gming f'ng taming since its harder now but itll pay off.

Jed Clampett on drugs story By the EttinKing.

Let me tell ya story bout a man named Jed poor man barley kept his family feed then one day he was smoking on a joint and zedd hit him with his truck...Twice.