A Simple Fix: The Economy

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Elph

A Simple Fix: The Economy

Post by Elph »

This fix would end the gold faucet of selling piles of crafted items to vendors (whatever they may be) and take pressure off staff to continue to enforce AFK gathering rules.

Simply have a limit on the number of identical items an NPC vendor will buy. Let's call this number X.

Crafter1 makes X fancy shirts/flamestrike scrolls/chain coifs, and sells them. From then on, until a person either buys those items to remove them from the vendor, or until some specified time limit is reached and the inventory is cleared (1hr? 2hr? 6hr? server reboot?), the vendor will refuse said item "I don't need any more of those!"

From the point where this change is implemented, AFK gathering of any sort, bought regs, bought ingots, even mined ingots and other resources, in any amount, would only serve the purpose of skill training, or player sales, thus turning off the gold faucet.

At which point, the rules on AFK gathering could actually be eliminated, as the practice would not bring gold into the economy, and would deflate prices through increased supply, making it much easier for new players to start out. This would also make the shard more active, as AFK gatherers would be all about, waiting to be killed by our PK's.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that AFK gathering rules be suspended, either way, however, stopping identical items being sold will prevent further inflation and gradual economic catastrophe (which really does happen, quite often, on UO servers).

What say you?

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: A Simple Fix: The Economy

Post by MatronDeWinter »

H2os
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by H2os »

I disagree.

When I started a few months ago and IF I could not sell my bows that I made (I lumberjacked/bowcrafted for 2 weeks to buy a small house) I would not be here today probably (I had to wait sometimes 15-30mins for NPCs to buy at max). And if you limited a certain item from being sold that could discourage new players.

I agree AFK gathering from NPCs needs to be looked at, but dont try and fix it with NPC buying.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Elph wrote:This fix would end the gold faucet of selling piles of crafted items to vendors (whatever they may be) and take pressure off staff to continue to enforce AFK gathering rules.

Simply have a limit on the number of identical items an NPC vendor will buy. Let's call this number X.

Crafter1 makes X fancy shirts/flamestrike scrolls/chain coifs, and sells them. From then on, until a person either buys those items to remove them from the vendor, or until some specified time limit is reached and the inventory is cleared (1hr? 2hr? 6hr? server reboot?), the vendor will refuse said item "I don't need any more of those!"

From the point where this change is implemented, AFK gathering of any sort, bought regs, bought ingots, even mined ingots and other resources, in any amount, would only serve the purpose of skill training, or player sales, thus turning off the gold faucet.

At which point, the rules on AFK gathering could actually be eliminated, as the practice would not bring gold into the economy, and would deflate prices through increased supply, making it much easier for new players to start out. This would also make the shard more active, as AFK gatherers would be all about, waiting to be killed by our PK's.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that AFK gathering rules be suspended, either way, however, stopping identical items being sold will prevent further inflation and gradual economic catastrophe (which really does happen, quite often, on UO servers).

What say you?
See my response in your other thread for a full explanation, but this type of change breaks mechanical accuracy and can't be added in as a result.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Elph

Post by Elph »

Kaivan wrote:
Elph wrote:This fix would end the gold faucet of selling piles of crafted items to vendors (whatever they may be) and take pressure off staff to continue to enforce AFK gathering rules.

What say you?
See my response in your other thread for a full explanation, but this type of change breaks mechanical accuracy and can't be added in as a result.
Mechanical accuracy in vendors is already broken is it not? Are our vendors era-accurate?

Elph

Post by Elph »

H2os wrote:I disagree.

When I started a few months ago and IF I could not sell my bows that I made (I lumberjacked/bowcrafted for 2 weeks to buy a small house) I would not be here today probably (I had to wait sometimes 15-30mins for NPCs to buy at max). And if you limited a certain item from being sold that could discourage new players.

I agree AFK gathering from NPCs needs to be looked at, but dont try and fix it with NPC buying.
X can be a number such that new players would not be discouraged and mass sellers would be.

Decreased inflation would help new players start more than being able to sell items in mass, I would argue.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Elph wrote:
Kaivan wrote:

What say you?
Mechanical accuracy in vendors is already broken is it not? Are our vendors era-accurate?
Vendors are as accurate as our current knowledge about the game allows them to be. While it's likely that they aren't 100% accurate, this is not a justification to move away from that accuracy.

Elph

Post by Elph »

The gold limits/refresh time are era accurate? I was under the impression these changes were made for economic stability and not era accuracy. If I'm wrong so be it. In any case, the economy here is not era accurate in that subsequent versions of the game added more gold sinks over time, keeping the economy afloat.

We're essentially dealing with a bonsai tree here. The economy will be much more fragile than in the OSI system which grew over time.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Elph wrote:The gold limits/refresh time are era accurate? I was under the impression these changes were made for economic stability and not era accuracy. If I'm wrong so be it. In any case, the economy here is not era accurate in that subsequent versions of the game added more gold sinks over time, keeping the economy afloat.

We're essentially dealing with a bonsai tree here. The economy will be much more fragile than in the OSI system which grew over time.
The gold limits were pulled directly from the demo, with refresh times pulled from the demo and other sources that confirm the 1 hour refresh time.

Beyond that, the economy on OSI servers was no better off than it it is here. The larger pool of knowledge and available tools has a significant effect on what can be done on a server such as ours, which is nearly 5 years old at this point.

Arsen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arsen »

kaivan make ppl stop selling mass scrolls. i got insane gold offers for some of my rares from ppl iv nenver seen before (30mil-50mil+). something must be broke here seriously.
[22:00:50] <@Dupre> arsen isnt raging, hes jsut german, it just sounds taht way
[22:00:58] <@Dupre> hes actually very calm and gentle
[22:03:54] <@Dupre> arsen is also the best player here

Arsen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arsen »

one of them started here this year and offered me 33mil for a item (pretending to use dragon turrets) just check my pms...

i understand your point but ppl find always a way to abuse shit just saying.
pce
[22:00:50] <@Dupre> arsen isnt raging, hes jsut german, it just sounds taht way
[22:00:58] <@Dupre> hes actually very calm and gentle
[22:03:54] <@Dupre> arsen is also the best player here

meltedmantis

Post by meltedmantis »

Arsen wrote:one of them started here this year and offered me 33mil for a item (pretending to use dragon turrets) just check my pms...

i understand your point but ppl find always a way to abuse shit just saying.
pce
33mil after a year for one item holy shit, im trying to scrape a 10k together at time for regs.... I guess you sell scrolls or get left behind here

orevamp

Post by orevamp »

yea that's bs go out and earn your money what fun is the game if you cant, or don't appreciate what you obtain.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

As much as I love this shard and Derrick, I hate to say that this economy is beyond broken and can never be recovered, Arsen's example is just one of many. Most of these guys keep silent, but don't be fooled that the vast majority of millionaires here didn't achieve that through simply selling to vendors.

I can only speak for myself but this is my biggest deterrent to playing here full time again and I'd bet willing to be it's the same for some others. It's a shame that there likely isn't any real resolution.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat