Thief Template

Moderator: Support Moderators

Soulbreak

Thief Template

Post by Soulbreak »

Hi, I am thinking about making a thief as I never had one in UO.
I just need some help on the template, and any suggestion from people that activly play their thieves.

1st Template:
Snoop
Steal
Hiding
Stealth
Magery
Wrest
Resist

The idea for me on this is stealing and staying alive. Just thought with the ability to tele-hide and invis stealth it would be hard to kill me. Would I be ok without meditation?

I don't want to make a thief with offesnive capabilities. My idea of play style is watch someone dungeon hunting, and steal from them something to cause their death and then loot :)
DRUSK42 wrote:
Downs wrote:So, who got the goods? All we walked away with was land.
Take a wild guess.
Millerisfuntoplay wrote: Don't worry I will bank everything instead and give house to Ian.

mrbojangles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Thief Template

Post by mrbojangles »

This is a fine pure thief template. If you are dungeon thieving though, you may want to consider adding in some points of tracking, which would make it much easier to find victims. Tele-hiding with the hiding spell is somewhat difficult here if your opponent is on a horse. The most effective method is to use tele-rings, but those are expensive, I prefer invis rings(cheaper than tele charges), which allow you to immediately stealth away instead of waiting for your hiding timer cooldown.

Also, no med basically means youll have enough mana to get out of a situation, that's it. If you miss your initial opportunity to escape, don't expect to survive long. Personally, i've never had med on a thief.
Omar Little(irc) / Mr Bojangles / Bowie / Snake Plisken / Martin Van Buren / Dirty Ore

Visit the The Yew Gate Shop for everything you need.

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

First off:
mrbojangles wrote:This is a fine pure thief template.
Furthermore, there is no perfect thief template. Finding the balance of what you are looking for is the key. My personal opinion is that the 'matron thief' is a top option.

http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/6670
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Drop stealth and mount up for a thief. I'd recommend gm eval in its place, and then I'd take resist to 80 and get 20 tracking.

The house looter is the only template that need stealth. If you want a stealther, put it on a separate toon.

Edit: On second thought...you're going to want gm med. You can only gm eval if you drop resist as well as stealth, which is surprisingly viable if you are equipped right.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

sk8nomad
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by sk8nomad »

Soulbreak wrote:Hi, I am thinking about making a thief as I never had one in UO.
I just need some help on the template, and any suggestion from people that activly play their thieves.

1st Template:
Snoop
Steal
Hiding
Stealth
Magery
Wrest
Resist

The idea for me on this is stealing and staying alive. Just thought with the ability to tele-hide and invis stealth it would be hard to kill me. Would I be ok without meditation?

I don't want to make a thief with offesnive capabilities. My idea of play style is watch someone dungeon hunting, and steal from them something to cause their death and then loot :)
For your playstyle, perhaps instead of stealthing up to them and stealing all their garlic or aids so they cant heal, it would be better to befriend them, and ask to hunt along side them. Doing this will hopefully deter the probability of them thinking you are a thief, and grant you more opportunities to steal undetected.
IMO, if I see someone not on a mount reveal next to me then tele hide or w/e I'm going to think that they are a thief, and I will most likely leave and go hunt elsewhere. Maybe dropping hiding/stealth for meditation and eval would be better? If they notice that you steal their garlic, and they retaliate you can just kill them :)

Soulbreak

Post by Soulbreak »

Why 20 tracking?
DRUSK42 wrote:
Downs wrote:So, who got the goods? All we walked away with was land.
Take a wild guess.
Millerisfuntoplay wrote: Don't worry I will bank everything instead and give house to Ian.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

It's helpful for keeping track of victims...especially when you've got an item you're eyeballing or when you're stealing in the field.

My thief has 50 and I use it constantly.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Was tracking last night on my thief when four TG were running around. Notable grabs include a 10 vanq broadsword, 20 force kat, and a 26 chg tele ring...

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Magery
Wrestling
Resist
Meditation
Stealing
Snooping
Hiding

It's easier to stay out of harms reach with a mount. Right now I am double clicking everything since coming back just now setting some hot keys...but from what I remember, being on foot leaves you disadvantaged in so many ways. (more so when you are pestering people without resist in your build) There are uses for it sure, but it keeps game play at a snail's pace.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Return to “New Player Help”