Flying Creatures

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Loathed

Re: Flying Creatures

Post by Loathed »

TBH- from what I can recall as this is all I have to go by since I see no posts speaking of when something fly and doesn't- It was always my basic understanding that if the animal is "running" and it has the ability to fly (dragon, drake, wyrm, bird) it could fly over minor obstacles that were say less than table but more than fishsteak. Though I'm not sure how or if that is even the case for us. The monsters breaking boxes was put into play during our era frame. And I know many people on OSI at the time were taming dragons by blocking them in with boxes. The dragons/wyrms which I assume still had the flying ability, since it was only removed from the nightmare up to the point of our end time, were not able to fly over the objects and would essentially be trapped inside until a box was picked up or it decayed. Maybe the flying was only relative to less Z than we believe? I cant find screenshots to back up my claim about the boxing of dragons in destard or i'd be posting them. Anyone else able to chime in on this?

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

I have a memory of some douche trapping my dragon in their tower...I had it kill him from inside, then i led it up stairs and then it flew down to me.

Keep in mid that I didn't play Pre T2A.

Also, I got cursed at a lot from people who were trying to steal my dragons because I would get the dragon up against the wall and then open a gate from outside and then it would come. Pretty sure a dragon or wyrm would follow you in a gate from 2 to 3 tiles away.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

They could fly over more than a table ( a table is just 6 z-axis levels ). Just have them fly over a table barrier, fetch, then lead them up the stairs and over the top of the edges and out with your prize. :P
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

Light Shade wrote:They could fly over more than a table ( a table is just 6 z-axis levels ). Just have them fly over a table barrier, fetch, then lead them up the stairs and over the top of the edges and out with your prize. :P

ya they could, before our era- fetch was removed not long after nightmares were around because of the house breakin exploit.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

I don't think that animals opening doors should be taken out as an exploit.... That was always a friendly warning from staff from OSI to not leave animals in your house that could open doors.

I know dragons could go over quite a few things, just not as high as the hedges in moonglow. EVER. THat could be a starting point to work on. Even up past UOR, you couldn't get a dragon to go over hedges.

Wyrms were a different story. Eventually you could get them to teleport just by saying all come.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

The run abilities on UOSA are much different than OSI. On OSI the only time anything ran was when it was either fleeing or in "idle" mode.

I'm not sure if it's changed on UOSA but I recall pets using their run animations (flying animation for flying creatures) when simply in follow mode, even in chase mode.

Before any creatures are allowed to fly over stuff on UOSA, the AI would need to be corrected or we end up with a whole bunch of exploits that were never actually T2A accurate.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Alex21
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Alex21 »

Kaivan wrote:That screenshot was taken before a series of changes occurred to the behavior of flying creatures that allowed them to avoid any and all obstacles such as mountains by having a much higher z axis shift. The ability of flying creatures allowed for housing break-in exploits, which led to the removal of the fetch command and later the flying attribute from nightmares. As far as we know, this behavior was ultimately alleviated by changing the height of their z axis shift when entering flying mode.
The Z-Axis for birds as well? When I played the OSI demo period a few years back the birds were flying around at a high Z-Axis and it was almost rare to see them land. I was not around for T2A, but does anyone remember birds flying? And how they looked?
The First Player Of UO Second Age.