Using lock down items.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Using lock down items.

Post by Robbbb »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
Kaivan wrote: As I said earlier in the thread, I agree with the fact that any item should be usable if it is locked down, unless special mechanics on the item require you to have the item in your backpack or have it equipped to use it.
This was my point. Also, nobody was using magical locked down keys in any fashion (be them on rings or off, in chests, or floating over the door somehow..) to enter their homes. That was my main concern.

They also werent throwing purple potions and casting chain lightning in the middle of Keeps, Towers and Castles either but apparently it was possible and nobody knew it. :wink:

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

So you think people locked down keyrings at doors and not one person doubble clicked it to see if you could open the door?

Or do you mean noone thought about locking them down?

Even thou if they dint think of it, if they would have done it then they would have given the thiefs a free pass since everyone could use it.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Robbbb wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:
Kaivan wrote: As I said earlier in the thread, I agree with the fact that any item should be usable if it is locked down, unless special mechanics on the item require you to have the item in your backpack or have it equipped to use it.
This was my point. Also, nobody was using magical locked down keys in any fashion (be them on rings or off, in chests, or floating over the door somehow..) to enter their homes. That was my main concern.

They also werent throwing purple potions and casting chain lightning in the middle of Keeps, Towers and Castles either but apparently it was possible and nobody knew it. :wink:
Actually, you linked information from January 1998 where a player knew how to teleport directly into a castle courtyard. A function that is only possible for the same reason that you can target under houses. Also, the entire reason we can verify that this was possible is because of the fact that the core code for line of sight is identical on live OSI servers to what was found on the demo. That fact, combined with the fact that it is still possible to target under houses on live OSI servers and the fact that we know exactly what controlled how it was done, make it a near certainty that it was possible during the era. On the other hand, the idea of floating an item far above a house and locking that item down in violation of the mechanics is completely unproven, and until we have explicit information that suggests that it was possible, we have no reason to allow players to do so.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

Still you dont show any evidence that it wasnt usable by only the house owner etc while we show you it was usable by anyone!!

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I'm not sure who that was addressed to.

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

Was adressed to you Kaivan

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Ok, for the fourth time in this thread, I agree with the idea that all items should be usable when locked down by anyone. The only exceptions should be special mechanics on items themselves that prevent players from doing certain things with them.