Changes on Test Center

News and Announcements
Derrick

Changes on Test Center

Post by Derrick »

As most who have been following recent discussion threads are probably aware, we have been taking a good look at the Animal Taming skill, pet commands, and behaviors. Over the last couple weeks through much research by players and staff members we've been identifying what we know to be wrong with these systems and coding some changes to pets to be more compliant with the T2A era.

We've discovered quite a bit for sure, some is still on the table, and there's no claim yet that all these changes will be in, that they are all completely correct, or that more items will not be added.

The reason for this post is a plea to test the current state of the code. This is very very "Alpha". Some of the AI changes are immense and it's very important to test them well before they hit the live shard. As such, we not just looking for pet control testing. We'd also ask that people get on and do some normal gameplay as well, as AI changes can effect any number of unforeseen things.

There are also some hoped stability fixes in here which unrelated to the above mentioned focus may cause some behavioral difference in some creatures.

The test center is currently running at:
Server: test.uosecondage.com
Port: 2593
  • All pre-tamed creatures are trivial to retame as long as the minimum skill requirement is met.
  • Tame Fire breathing creatures will have more chaotic behavior.
    • They may attack murderers unprovoked. Attacking a murderous owners however will be based on loyalty checks
    • They will be more difficult to control overall.
    • When in attack mode, they will continue to acquire new targets until told to stop.
  • Pets that do not meet required minimum skill cannot enter Wind (unless mounted)
  • Curing for veterinary skill over 61.3 is more encouraged for gain
  • Pet control targeting
    • Targeting limited to range of 10 tiles
    • Target no longer checks Line of Sight to the target
    • All commands that require targeting will only command one pet, usually the closest
  • Pets will acquire targets while wandering and patrolling.
    • Pets on patrol will attempt to return to their patrol once combat is over
  • Pets that are out of range of their owners will not incriminate their owners by their actions
  • Pets on patrol during a shard restart will resume their patrol after restart.
  • Pets that are following their masters will move faster.
  • Creatures will no longer automatically switch targets when aggressed by a closer target
  • NPC's in town will no longer re-call the guards every time they are damaged
  • Weapons swings now never cause autodefend, previously was only Players and Pets that did not do this.
  • "Your hands must be free to cast spells or meditate." now appears above the players head for mediation
  • Message format correction for Bounty Board messages.
  • Hirelings will now respond correctly to the Hire keyword, and state their wage.
  • All creature and NPC speeds have been revised to be based on the standard 0.25 second "tick" speeds. Creatures may very well be miscatagorized at this point, so feedback would be appreciated.
  • Pets follow speed will persist when the creature is given an active command. Firebreathing pets drop to their normal active speed when breath weapon is used.
  • "All Release" will only release one creature at a time
  • Updated Treasure Map decoding requirements. You can now decode level 1's with no cartography skill as per Stratics.
  • Deathmatch signups will no longer effect Harmful and Beneficial actions prior to game start.
  • DeathRobe now has 3AR
  • Bolt of cloth label display correction
  • Amount Healed message change.
  • Combat timer no longer advances on movement for NPC's and Monsters
  • Pets can guard items, and other mobiles.
  • Controlled pets will always be attackable when on guard.
  • Pets who are guarding mobiles will guard the corpse if the mobile dies.
  • Pets who are guarding items or corpses will attack the player or creature who picks up the item, or items from the corpse. This could potentially result in a murder count for the pet's master.
  • You will no longer be revealed if hidden when opening a corpse that is not yours, only when you actually lift items from that corpse.
  • Correction to Parry damage absorption calculation (Thanks Loops for finding this grievous error)
  • Enticement changes:
    • Tamed creatures can be enticed.
    • Vendors including Bankers can be enticed, but not too far from home.
    • Correction to enticement messages.
    • Longer skill delay on entice.
  • Properly working moongate travel based on: http://martin.brenner.de/ultima/uo/moongates.html
  • Splits Britannia into proper timezones, each two hours wide as is compatible with the above system.
  • Fixes some Stealing messages
  • Weapons when equiped before they are ready will restart their swing timers.
  • Wrestling swing speed is based on stamina.
  • Aggression issue with pets and other creatures after recalling away and back, or hiding should be fixed.
  • Taming animals will be one cycle faster.
  • Town guards no longer show lightning bolt with insta-kill
  • Pets no longer auto-follow after being tamed.
  • Horse price increase
Looking forward to feedback on actual testing on this thread.
Last edited by Derrick on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Reason: more code changes on test

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Changes on Test Center

Post by Hemperor »

Wow this is truly absolutely terrific.

This will put quite the stop to the tamers pulling in over 2k a minute, ruining the economy and ALSO the tamers instant killing people, ruining pvp.

I'd place this in the top 3 most important patches thus far in my books! Someone else log in and test with me.

Kylock

Post by Kylock »

NPC's in town will no longer re-call the guards every time they are damaged

Glad to see that's back. When I started here, thats how I made my gold:D

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

All pre-tamed creatures are trivial to retame as long as the minimum skill requirement is met.

could somebody elaborate?

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Teknix wrote:All pre-tamed creatures are trivial to retame as long as the minimum skill requirement is met.

I dont think this is accurate.

WHat it means is if you tame a drag and then release him anyone with the required skill to tame a drag (is it 94.1?) will successfully tame on the first attempt.

THis also means no benefit of retames for skill gains.

I am all for accurcay... but to my memory this is more of a nerf (from how i read it) than a accurcy post.

We had i tamer in our pvp guild and he often was able to transfer pets to us to use even though we had no taming skills.

This ofcourse was a terrible system and rightfully fixed. But during t2a (at some point) i know for a fact this was the case.

Im not going to go off the deep end on anything until we see what makes it to production but what i read above is not what i remember... It sounds 1/2 true.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Hoots wrote:
Teknix wrote:All pre-tamed creatures are trivial to retame as long as the minimum skill requirement is met.

WHat it means is if you tame a drag and then release him anyone with the required skill to tame a drag (is it 94.1?) will successfully tame on the first attempt.

I am all for accurcay... but to my memory this is more of a nerf (from how i read it) than a accurcy post.

We had i tamer in our pvp guild and he often was able to transfer pets to us to use even though we had no taming skills.

This ofcourse was a terrible system and rightfully fixed. But during t2a (at some point) i know for a fact this was the case.

Im not going to go off the deep end on anything until we see what makes it to production but what i read above is not what i remember... It sounds 1/2 true.
It is completely accurate, infact the whole taming system here, especially for gains was way off. You shouldn't be able to gain off a pre-tame, ever.

Now, the second part of your statement, I believe I heard that was pre-t2a, however I'm not certain..didn't find anything in the 99 patch notes about it.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Hemperor wrote:
Hoots wrote:

It is completely accurate, infact the whole taming system here, especially for gains was way off. You shouldn't be able to gain off a pre-tame, ever.

Now, the second part of your statement, I believe I heard that was pre-t2a, however I'm not certain..didn't find anything in the 99 patch notes about it.
there is no question that gains on retames is not era accurate.

But i believe the truth is (and i have mentioned this in your past rants hemp) is if they goto before retames required skill, pets were transferable to anyone.

I know our guild did this. I also know our guild tamer sold drags and WBB.

In any rate i hope there is solid documented proof for anything that gets changed.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

I realise what you were saying, I was just saying that I heard that was pre-t2a... Either way, I have complete confidence that everything implemented thus far was done so on concrete evidence and research, be it by Kaivan, Derrick, or other players.

As Derrick has also said, nothing here is for sure yet, so it could even still be up for debate.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

and this is exactly what im talking about...

fixed January 24th, 2000... the same time retames came in.

http://tamingarchive.com/updates/000124.php

"There are several things that have changed in regards to taming. First off, you will be able to gain skill off of a previously tamed creature unless it was transferred to you. This is a blessing for the midlevel tamers, as now they are no longer hurt by assholes that like to leave behind their tames. Also, the release/retame bug is no longer viable to give nontamers high level pets (such as nightmares)"

I know the taming archive isnt gospel but i think i have said more than once to be carful what you wished for hemp.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

I don't wish to be the target of all tamer cries from this point forward, although it is expected. I did not wish for anything, the way things before were simply inaccurate.

If you feel you have some sort of point here, do some research like the rest of us have done in the past when we request change.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Hemperor wrote:I don't wish to be the target of all tamer cries from this point forward, although it is expected. I did not wish for anything, the way things before were simply inaccurate.

If you feel you have some sort of point here, do some research like the rest of us have done in the past when we request change.
Now this is classic. You have made it your personal quest to change taming for the last month. Ill find my quote warning that you didnt know what you were crying for hemp.

You were 7 or 8 years old when the taming system you seem to know 100% of rules for was in place.

The facts is, retames made taming easier to gain in skill, but the fixes done to taming in early 2000 are what made taming more balanced over all.

Ill see if i can find any pictures on my old pc of 10 green 7x tanks all on mares with drags in tow in deceit.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Hoots wrote:
Hemperor wrote:I don't wish to be the target of all tamer cries from this point forward, although it is expected. I did not wish for anything, the way things before were simply inaccurate.

Now this is classic. You have made it your personal quest to change taming for the last month. Ill find my quote warning that you didnt know what you were crying for hemp.

You were 7 or 8 years old when the taming system you seem to know 100% of rules for was in place.

The facts is, retames made taming easier to gain in skill, but the fixes done to taming in early 2000 are what made taming more balanced over all.

Ill see if i can find any pictures on my old pc of 10 green 7x tanks all on mares with drags in tow in deceit.
Anything that I have pushed for, for change in taming or even influenced, I have done so with research and quotes from the necessary sources. Age does not factor in at all in this, because no change here is ever based off memory. I could have started playing this year and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Do something productive towards this rather than starting a beef with me, if you are so sure than why not sure archived stratics pages etc.? I have to go out for the night, so I'll leave it up to you!

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Did i not just post a link to the taming archive?

that not good enough?

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Hoots wrote:
In any rate i hope there is solid documented proof for anything that gets changed.
I tried to point this out. I know at least at the beggining of T2a pets could be transfered to anyone, it wasnt until later they did the taming/lore requirements. I rode a nightmare on my swordsman, I paid 40k for him, as was the standard rate.

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Personally I do not like "All kill" being taken away. I never remember there not being an "All Kill" that worked as it currently does.