The Definitive Stat Gain Guide

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

The Definitive Stat Gain Guide

Post by MatronDeWinter »

EDIT: The reason this is the fastest way is because Herding and Mining have no delay between uses except for the standard UseItem delay. Any skill with a delay (that may gain faster) will be slower than this method due to the amount of attempts you can make from the lack of delay.

Let's face it, this is one of the pains to creating a new character. That horrible time spent gaining various skills to get your stats where you want them so you can just survive long enough to gain some real skills. Well, it's easier than you think.

I have found THE fastest way to gain str,dex, and int.
First thing your newbie character should do is get some gold. Either sheer some sheep and sell the whool or ask a fellow player to help you out with about 3000gp. Once you have the goods find every type of NPC around you and say "<npc'sname> teach" so they give you a list of things. Then say "<npc'sname> teach <skill>", skill obviously being a skill they said they could teach you. Go around and learn everything using the gold you have until your skills are maxed out at 700. BUT, be sure not to lean Mining, Herding, snooping, or Spirit Speaking. Make sure those three are at zero.

Now make your way to delucia (optional, but a great spot for this).

Lock every skill you have and then chose one that you are not going to use but have at least 10 (real) of and set it down. Now run to the delucia armory and buy a crook and a pick axe. Go out into the field North of town. Set the herding skill up, and double click the Crook and select a sheep or other animal. Once you do this, it will ask you to chose a location, just select the same sheep. Repeat this until you have around 10 points of herding. Now lock the skill you set down and turn herding down as well. Set mining up and go mine the wall near the sheep tossing the refuse on the ground. Once mining is at 10, set it down and do herding again. repeat this until you get to the desired STR and INT, locking them as they reach your desired goal.

Once your STR and INT are in place, if you are short on DEX, (or are a dexer), start the same process except with Herding 10 points and Snooping 10 points. These are the best skills to use to gain each stat..

STR - Mining/Herding
DEX - Herding/Snooping
INT - Herding/SpiritSpeaking

Use that formula.

Always start with Str first, because INT is the slowest to gain. Mining, Herding, and Snooping have no delay. SpiritSpeaking does.

Once your at max stats, get out there and kill some somethings!
I know this works, because I just maxed 3 characters stats in about 4 hours using this method and Razor to streamline the process. I did not include the macro's because they are very simple.
Last edited by MatronDeWinter on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

time2a

Re: The Definitive Stat Gain Guide

Post by time2a »

what would be best for when i got a char at 7x 100 and i cant play aorund with any skills but want to bring me int from 95 to 100. whats best way to do this when im dropping my dex.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I would just set the arrows and then play as normal. But find out first if this private shard lets you gain stats without skillgain. Im new here, just learning the ropes myself.

Waldo

Post by Waldo »

time2a wrote:what would be best for when i got a char at 7x 100 and i cant play aorund with any skills but want to bring me int from 95 to 100. whats best way to do this when im dropping my dex.

Be sure int lock is pointing up dex lock pointing down then be sure arrow lock is pointing up on anything say spiritspeak or eval int any skill that will move int.

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

just to clarify for my understanding...if I'm at 7xgm skill cap, and I'm also at 225 stat cap, but I want to adjust my stats I can just use one of my (7xgm skills that raises the stat I want) and it will raise that stat? even though I'm already at 100 skill and no skill gain? granted I have on of my other stats marked down and the one i want marked up?

ie.

gm eval, 75 int...I mark my dex down and just use eval and it will raise my int and lower my dex?

Waldo

Post by Waldo »

Yes that should work

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Good to know, I wasnt sure myself if that would work on this shard, but then again I have not encountered such a situation.

time2a

Post by time2a »

so i set dex from 30 down and int from 95 up and i got a 7x cap of 100 each skill, i set spirit speak up and macro. no skill gain.. Ne other hints? thnx

Vanathros

Post by Vanathros »

Ah, I've never heard of this method for statgaining. I find that Herding was THE fastest way to reach max stats in 1 night. Here's how I did it on Divinity:

Obtain 700.0 'Real Skill' cap.
Lock EVERY skill EXCEPT Herding. [Herding should be 0.0 'Real Skill']
Have Herding pointing up ^.
Go to the sheep/pig pens near Britain, herd a sheep/pig/animal into a pen and close the door.
Double-click the crook, click the animal, click the other side of the pen.
Repeat until desired.

[When you use RaZor to macro Herding, simply record yourself herding the animal once, and check the loop box, and enjoy your statgains.]

Michael Malloy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Michael Malloy »

It was patched recently, I believe. Skill gain must occur for a stat to be gained, so no more ^ arrow at the cap. You must see-saw.

Vanathros

Post by Vanathros »

That post ^ makes me sad in the pants :(

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

If you want to macro herding, the easiest way is to herd the animal onto yourself.

Use Crook
Target Self
repeat.

You don't even need to trap the animal as razor can spam this fast enough to keep the pet next to you even with 0 skill.

Project Pat

Post by Project Pat »

Michael Malloy wrote:It was patched recently, I believe. Skill gain must occur for a stat to be gained, so no more ^ arrow at the cap. You must see-saw.
this was not patched. you can still gain stats without gaining skill.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Kryptonical wrote:just to clarify for my understanding...if I'm at 7xgm skill cap, and I'm also at 225 stat cap, but I want to adjust my stats I can just use one of my (7xgm skills that raises the stat I want) and it will raise that stat? even though I'm already at 100 skill and no skill gain? granted I have on of my other stats marked down and the one i want marked up?

ie.

gm eval, 75 int...I mark my dex down and just use eval and it will raise my int and lower my dex?
As long as the skill you're using is pointed up, you'll gain stats, whether you're actually gaining skill or not. It appears that stats just seem to gain slower if you aren't gaining skill, which is why the see-saw method provides the fastest stat gain.
so i set dex from 30 down and int from 95 up and i got a 7x cap of 100 each skill, i set spirit speak up and macro. no skill gain.. Ne other hints? thnx
Int gain is by far the slowest skill to gain on this server, so it'll take a long time just to see a single gain.

Here's my tip for stat gain via herding method:

If you're building a mage, the fastest way to finish stat building is to create ur character with 60 int, 10 str, 10 dex. Make a macro that uses both herding and spirit speak (you can do them both at the same time, 500ms pause,) and let it run. Stay around until you hit 25 dex (or whatever u prefer), lock dex, then you can just go afk while you macro the rest. You should hit about 80-85 int by the time ur str hits 100.

If you're rollin a regular dexxer, start with 25 int, 25 dex, 10 str. Lock int as soon as you're in, run your herding macro and you're good to go for afk macroing.

The biggest mistake people make is starting a char with 60 str; str is the easiest thing u can gain on this server, you're basically wasting your time by starting with high str. Get that old OSI model out of your head!
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Billy Mays

Post by Billy Mays »

as far as i know you don't have to max out skills to raise stats.

I just herded and snooped and was 100 dex 100 str in under 2 hours total.