Guide: Starting off with a bang

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Veronee

Guide: Starting off with a bang

Post by Veronee »

So, you just started off and found this section of the forums.
Part of you is wondering how to do this.

Well this guide is made to help you get the most of your starting off. UO is not a friendly game. Its even worse when you do it wrong as finding things out the hard way is very expensive. With that said getting a good launch can make all the difference for an enjoyable experience.

Before anything begins. Read these two things carefully:
http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=632
http://www.uosecondage.com/Rules
Thats so you dont get whacked with a ban stick.

If you dont know how to use Razor read here:
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=Razor

Well. To start off:
GOLD
You want this stuff. With it you can buy stuff. Get better stuff. Replace lost stuff.
Gold is the center of the games economy and you gonna need alot of it.
BUT
I know you also wanna have some fun.

First things first.
Get two accounts.
Why?
Well you can use macros here. A macro is a "script" of events that can happen with you not being in attendance. This means your characters can gain skills while you sleep or goto work.
So why two accounts?
Well if you just macro all the game will represent to you is something to stare at while your macro goes off. This will mean you can macro and do something else at the same time.

Account one:
For starting off I recommend you make a bard.
why?
well cause it costs you nothing to get your first "combat" character going. Only time.
To do this is quite simple. Start a new character. Give it a name. Hit advanced and give yourself "a primary skill" (discussed later) and a secondry skill. You see that lil blank skill there? change that to musicianship and give it 1 point. This is so that you will start off with an instrument.
The reason you want that one point is so that when you start off you get a "newbie" instrument in your pack.
A newbie instrument doesn't break easily. I raised 3 skills on myne and still have it. Most importantly though. If you die it will stay with you.
Essentially when you starting off. You gonna die alot. Be it if you have played before or not. If you get monster killed you can use the newbie instrument to try get back to your body. Provoking/peacing things on the way so you can recover your loot/armour etc.
Before I go into more detail on this I'll talk a little about account two

Account two:
You need to make gold. Without it you wont have armour/weapons/a house and you will probably ragequit in 20 mins without it. This is also an "active" account as such. While account one is getting skills this one is making money.
So. How do you make money starting off?
I can tell you now that running off into a dungeon to attack the closest creature is not wise. You will likely get killed by a murderer and then you have no gear nothing.
I would say start off gathering a resource. You can gather wood, or Mine minerals.
I would suggest to start off with mining as the demand for ingots is quite high.
Mining is simple. Take a shovel or Pickaxe and hit a mountain with it. Well...
If you choose mining give yourself 50 mining + 50 Tinkering to start and start off in Minoc.
Now find the bank and stash everything in your bank box. To open your bank box just type "bank" near a banker. Keep your pickaxe or shovel however as well as your tinker tools. You dont need anything else in your pack.
Right, Head north east of the bank till you find a bridge and cross over that bridge.
To explain how to mine things works look here:
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=Mining
To explain that in a little more detail. Stand close to the thing you wanna mine. Double click your shovel/pickaxe and click the mountainous bit (the grey part). If you go into one of the caves just click near you.
If you get a message about loosening rocks it failed, do it again. If you get a message about no metal to mine. Move away from that spot and try somewhere else. If you get a message about some ore in your pack it worked! If it works that doesn't mean walk away. Smack that spot again and again till it says there is no metal to mine.
Once you are full (your backpack cant carry anymore) goto the smelter. Thats the lil bricked up circle thing with the yellow bit in the middle of it. Double click the ore and click that thing.
To make the mining part a lil easier I advise a macro. For a guide on that look here:
http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5759
At some point you will break your mining tool. What you do then?
Make one. You have tinkering.
To do this goto the the anvil. There is normally one next to the smelter (least there is at the cave entrance). Double click the tinker tools, look through the menus and just follow the prompt to make the tool. I advise making a few of them (dont carry more than 5 its a bit pointless).
Important: Dont walk around with more than 500 ingots in your pack. If you get murdered your hard work is gone.
Once you have about 500 ingots goto the bank and put it in there.
So.. show me the money?
once you have a sizable amount (over two thousand). You see at the top of this page? that thing that says IRC? click it. In there tell people you new (no need to be embarressed) and tell them you have 2000 ingots to sell. Ingots typically sell for 5 - 7 GP each. Dont accept less than that. You just getting ripped off. You didn't do the work for fun after all. So you now have some money! Yay!

Getting back to account one now. Start that account in Brit.
Once you all unloaded. Head to the Brit stables. Its across a bridge on the western side. If you get lost ask a player. Once you in there. Go into an empty stall and read this:
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=Provocation
That will explain to you how to make the macro.
So you keep this guy raising Provo all the time, every available second you leave him doing it. Once thats done hit up peacemaking (also useful). When you wanna mine dont close this account. Leave it running and launch a second one. Razor will not tamper with the account you playing on :)

So. Whats Provocation?
Read it in the earlier link and it will explain. Its a hellishly useful skill to have in PvE (Player versus environment) cause it will make two critters/monsters kill each other. You can essentially use this as a nice first character skill even if you making a warrior. Its useful all round to have but in PvP (player versus player) it aint gonna do squat.

Getting back to what was discussed earlier with a primary skill (these are recommended).
If you making a Warrior grab Swordsmanship and Healing (or resisting spells).
If you making a mage grab Magery and Resisting Spells.
If you making a tame grab Animal Taming and Magery

Hope this helps. If you have any questions concerning this guide. Post them here.

Pirul

Re: Guide: Starting off with a bang

Post by Pirul »

In general this is a great guide. I would make some slight adjustments as to avoid some grief.
Veronee wrote:I know you also wanna have some fun.
This is the most important part. Have fun. Play whatever you want to play, and if you get bored, change some skills around. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to do it. If you feel you want to be a warrior, go ahead. Mage? Sure!! Why not? Tamer? Good luck!! :P

Remember that this game was designed for social interaction. Don't be afraid to approach your fellow players with questions. Hang out by the bank sometimes and see who comes and goes on your same playing time, and make friends. This game is much more enjoyable (and safe) when you have people to share it with.

The Gold part is also very true, and I'll get into that a bit further down.
Veronee wrote:I would suggest to start off with mining as the demand for ingots is quite high.
Mining is simple. Take a shovel or Pickaxe and hit a mountain with it. Well...
Mining is a simple, safe way of making money. A bit boring, but not bad. Other methods are shearing wool and collecting cotton, converting that to cloth using a spinning wheel and then a loom (you'll find them at any tailor shop), and using that cloth to tailor it into fancy shirts, or other items to sell to NPC tailors. I suggest Yew as a starting city if this method is appealing to you, since it has 3 sheep pens where you're more likely to find wool. There is no need to kill the sheep, just double click your dagger and target the sheep you want to sheer.
Veronee wrote:Make one. You have tinkering.
To do this goto the the anvil. There is normally one next to the smelter (least there is at the cave entrance). Double click the tinker tools, look through the menus and just follow the prompt to make the tool. I advise making a few of them (dont carry more than 5 its a bit pointless).
No need for an anvil to do tinkering. You can do it on the fly. Anvil is only required for blacksmithing.
Veronee wrote:Ingots typically sell for 5 - 7 GP each. Dont accept less than that.
I'd narrow it down further to between 6 and 7. As the OP posted, jump on IRC, type "/join #secondagetrade" and you'll most likely find someone who'll buy your ingots for 7 per. If you are in desperate need of money, offer them at 6 per, and you'll sell them that instant.
Veronee wrote:Getting back to account one now. Start that account in Brit.
I'd suggest any other city with a stable or zoo (Minoc, Trinsic, Moonglow, etc.) to minimize the probability of being griefed. Brittain is the gutter of Sosaria.
Veronee wrote:If you making a Warrior grab Swordsmanship and Healing (or resisting spells).
If you making a mage grab Magery and Resisting Spells.
If you making a tame grab Animal Taming and Magery
Do not get Resist Spells as a starting skill. This is a very common mistake since GMing (getting 100 Resist) is very slow and expensive. However, getting to 55 resist is a breeze. Just get one of your friends to cast Fire Field outside the guard zone, and run up and down the fire field. Have your same friend (or another) healing you constantly. After 20 or so FF's you should be around 55 resist.

Additionally, be sure to go over these links:
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=Templates
http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11890
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

nash87

Post by nash87 »

I agree with starting out with a bard! they are not only easy to make (GM music in 2 hours, and GM provo in 2 days), but they are exciting to make money! you have to deal with PKs, mobs nuking you all the time, looting quick, etc etc

i made a bard, put money away and IMMEDIATELY started working on my hally mage

every 20k id make, id buy regs and just forward that to my main hally mage

then i bought a house, 2k of each reg, etc etc

then a large brick, 7x'd hally mage, PVP skills increasing, while making gold

and yeah, my account is only 60 days old, i have a small house, a large brick (i can place a full tower on the property), 3k each reg, kegs galore, and like 100k to spare

its great!

in under 60 days

Lamer
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Lamer »

starting off with a little more bang

i totaly agree to the bard section of the guide, low cost, fast and easy cash!

instead of the mining part i would do lumberjacking and bowcraft but, make bows and sell them to blacksmith vendors, only for about max 5-10k start cash then make a new char on the same account with 50 healing / 50 magery / 60 str, while your provoker is macroing in brit transfer the 5k cash to the new char, it will be a warrior soon. choose a weapon skill you like and learn it from a npc same for tactics parry resisting spells and anatomy, buy the fastest weapon (swords -> katana, mace -> mace, fencing -> kryss) a metal kite shield and a herding crook, do herding on an animal in stables per macro should take you to 100 str in just about some hours (overnight for example) if you have time do snooping on an npc until 100 dex.

when you reach 100str and 100 dex buy all spools of thread from a tailor-npc use them on a loom and you get bolts of cloth cut them to bandages, take 50 bandages with you leave rest in the bank. go to vesper or jehlom graveyard and kill skeletons, these drop bone ar equip it and collect the parts, this will end up at 60-70 all used skills and hours later with you having 40-60k cash on your bank account plus the skills, you have to buy weapons during that journey doh! if you can look arround for exceptional ones at player vendors beside moongates those do a lot more damage, dont waste your money on magic weapons by now, dont buy further spools either just run arround in the woods for example (or on farms at moonglow) and collect wool from sheeps, theres a guide somewhere on healing with info on this

you could go for skeletons with 60 str / 10 dex already just dont pull too much! just one by one main reason you need a few k start cash is to learn anatomy tactics a weaponskill and resist

now follow the guides you can find here for everything else you want to do... resist for example, in my oppinion this is the way to go in uo because the mining/crafting part at the beginning is too slow and no fun at all the graveyards @ jehlom and vesper are very close to guard zone so pks wont bother you there as much as elsewhere you will make more money out of this too than by selling ingots for example

my accounts are 36 days old by now got 2 story, small house 1 mill cash 30k each reg 2x 7x gm and 2 other chars up in the 7x90s but im not doing this first time, back on osi my acc was full with chars on several servers so i think i can say im well trained in starting up.

good luck an may the f.. oh wrong environment bye :P

Dunder Mifflin Inc

Post by Dunder Mifflin Inc »

Prefect example of how tutorial videos would boost shard population.

Lamer
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Lamer »

maybe i do some when im done with my current project here :P

i share my connection with another person so we can just have 3 accounts by now and we are too hooked playing/macroing at the moment! :D

Return to “Guides”