Halby hits every 2 seconds with 25 dex?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Halby hits every 2 seconds with 25 dex?

Post by malice-tg »

guys the swing timer is fine.. its one of the things thats working very well now.
ebolt always prepped hally fast cast or not.

the only difference is that people back then ... people as in everyone on the shard like here.. didnt have access to or knowledge of macros and how to use them.

not everyone had uo assist, most pvpers did but not all of the population like uosa and razor.. its required here to login.

the problem i see remaining is with interuption delays... once we nail that down the "feel" will be right. i can tell you during era that i used harm and my halberd more than actual spells on my tank at times. especially trying to fight o/c townies. for pking fast casting ebolts with halby was the way to go :P

era pvp was great so pvp here should follow suit as we move closer to 100%.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Ezp wrote:What I don't get? All these skeptics are complaing about Faust's evidence but aren't doing any research themselves to disprove it. Things don't work out that way you know LOL. It's fine to say it's not accurate but back it up with evidence before you make such a claim.
Oh, there's research out there, it just gets ignored or discounted. I've posted in other threads. Here's an example of Mage v. Dexxer PvP in 1999.
WTFman.com JOV 1999 Mage vs. Warrior PvP wrote:These duels aren't much fun, but a little more interesting than warrior/warrior duels (i.e. two people stand by each other and heal repeatedly....wooo....). However, the mage spends most of his time running his ass off and trying to get paralyzes cast without being disrupted.
... you're low on mana. This is when the suck part of the Mage vs. Warrior duel comes in...running for your life. Middle / Late Duel
This is where your combo didn't work and you're running for your life hoping for mana. At this point, you're praying for mana, and you're praying to get a paralyze off so you can meditate (hint: para them so you can meditate). If you didn't kill them right off the bat, you're hoping you get an opening and get a quick spell off before they can heal. I normally precast a flamestrike and try and release it when they're around half health. They won't be expecting such a big drop in life and probably won't have a heal finishing. *Hopefully* you can finish them off before they de-equip and gheal. If the duel gets to this point, the warrior wins probably three times out of four, assuming they're capable.
Final Notes
Weapon strategy: basically the same as above, except I'd recommend against using a halberd against a faster fighter, since you won't hit very often.

What??? How can that be so??? On UOSA you can just be naked with a Hally FTW.

Here's the whole source: http://web.archive.org/web/200105121406 ... vpmage.htm

Look at this description of Mage v. Dexxer pvp. It is the same source as the SS shot mentioned above, just in essay form.

NO WHERE does it say that you can be naked and just cast GH heal while being whacked on... The description of the tactic is to do a mana dump and, if that don't drop the dexxer, run for your life and pray they don't interrupt you.

Does that happen here? Not at all because here a mage can just take the whacks, cast GH and or drink GH, and laugh because chances are he won't get intterupted, if on the slim chance he does, he can just recast it and it heals more HPs than anything but the bugged 2 sec Hally whack can do damage in. And oh, he can throw in a poison or two, delaying a 200 skill point heal for the cost of one reg and a few seconds of mana.

I don't know what shard others played on but I do know this did not happen in '99 OSI Chessy. We had active and LARGE O/C wars and I seldom saw a solo mage in town... well at least one that didn't recall or need to find a healer when we were done.

I havne't been able to find another era source that describe Mage v. Warrior combat, probably because it was generally known and accepted. This essay also stood the review of the viewers of this website and like a stupid post here on UOSA, it would have been ridiculed and mostly taken down if it was not close to being correct.

So... here's my challenge, find another Mage v. Dexxer and we can look into other details. If you can't then make adjustments to bring this kind of combat into something that resembles '99 Mage v. Dexxer combat.

Simply put, no template was dominate in all situations. If you were a mage you were pretty powerful but if you were in town or if your target survived your mana dump, you were at a disadvantage and depended upon the lack of resist of the dexxer and or their skill to kill or survive the encounter. THAT IS WHAT MADE THIS ERA IN PVP INTERESTING!! Not just spending 120k on regs to train magery and buying a 400gp Hally. That is stuff of the cheap free shards that has turned that template into something of mythical proportions.

There was more to PvP than the hally mage in 1999. Dexxers had their niche and they owned it. If you were lucky enough to have some decent resist, which most players and even mages didn't, then as a dexxer you had a good chance of winning duels and field combat.

Faust

Post by Faust »

It has already been previously stated that once the recovery delay is fixed that it will boost a dexers ability against a mage... Right now if you were to interrupt a mage casting greater heal it's pretty easy to get the 2nd heal off. Why is this? It's quite simple... The recovery delays are incorrect at the moment here. If they were fixed getting a 2nd greater heal off would be harder than it currently is.

PS
Hitting a mage for 5 damage is an automatic 50% chance to be disrupted while casting a spell. Hitting on average with a standard dexer weapon a disrupt is damn near 100% at all times. Your comment on disruption is rather incorrect in this sense.

Also, I have a question in regard to that guide Cortez...

What exactly does that tell you what needs to be changed?

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Faust wrote:It has already been previously stated that once the recovery delay is fixed that it will boost a dexers ability against a mage... Right now if you were to interrupt a mage casting greater heal it's pretty easy to get the 2nd heal off. Why is this? It's quite simple... The recovery delays are incorrect at the moment here. If they were fixed getting a 2nd greater heal off would be harder than it currently is.

PS
Hitting a mage for 5 damage is an automatic 50% chance to be disrupted while casting a spell. Hitting on average with a standard dexer weapon a disrupt is damn near 100% at all times. Your comment on disruption is rather incorrect in this sense.
Is the damage/disrupt chance relationship proportional? Would more damage result in greater chance of disruption?

Faust

Post by Faust »

A spell disruption is based on the damage taken, spell level being casted, and the magery skill of the caster. The more damage received while casting the higher the disrupt chance will be. The lower the circle being casted the lesser chance a disrupt will occur. Lastly, the lower the magery skill the higher the chance a disrupt will occur. At 100 magery casting a greater heal spell and taking 5 damage is roughly around a 50% chance to be disrupted.

PS
I edited my above post in response to your article Cortez... Here it is below.
Faust wrote:Also, I have a question in regard to that guide Cortez...

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Faust wrote:Also, I have a question in regard to that guide Cortez...

I have been in a lot of mage v. dexxer battles here on UOSA with my Orc. 6x with 93 resist and I can tell you that it's nothing like the play of '99 OSI. Mages get away with many more spells and it's much more difficult to get a swing in.

I kept looking for the peace making bard when I first started to fight here because I thought I slipped out of war mode. It just seems that the inability to land a swing in at 120 stamina is off. When a swing lands and the target still casts GH or recall as often as they do.. that seems off.

So.. to answer your question, I do not see the fear that mages had to fight a dexxer here on UOSA. Its like dexxers are nothing more than talking NPC mosters that have just a little better odds to kill mages than a Orc Lord.

EDIT: I also have fought with my 7x Townie with GM resist and the odds and game play is not much better.

Faust

Post by Faust »

"What exactly does that tell you what needs to be changed?"

A concept of how you remember it doesn't tell me anything... What exactly is wrong?

I really hate fighting dexers on my tank mage. The "fear" as you put it exists in myself, and I am easily one of the best pvper's here on this shard. I don't quite understand where you're coming from. I have a feeling you just don't understand the concept of manipulating a tank mages weapon cycle timer for his hally on a dexer. A dexer is very good here if you actually know how to utilize one to it's fullest capacity.

alatar

Post by alatar »

Faust wrote:and I am easily one of the best pvper's here on this shard.
lol plz...
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Faust wrote:"What exactly does that tell you what needs to be changed?"

A concept of how you remember it doesn't tell me anything... What exactly is wrong?

I really hate fighting dexers on my tank mage. The "fear" as you put it exists in myself, and I am easily one of the best pvper's here on this shard. I don't quite understand where you're coming from. I have a feeling you just don't understand the concept of manipulating a tank mages weapon cycle timer for his hally on a dexer. A dexer is very good here if you actually know how to utilize one to it's fullest capacity.
I'd say that the problem is just with me and my memory however I know of no dexxer who plays on UOSA who would agree that the current game play is correct. Can you find a genuine dexxer who would and can prove it in a duel?

It's like trying to find a Kyle Bush NASCAR Fan, they simply do not exist for a reason.

Faust

Post by Faust »

alatar wrote:
Faust wrote:and I am easily one of the best pvper's here on this shard.
lol plz...
rofl, and you are better? You could never beat me, ever...

It's no wonder you sold your account like a chump. You can talk all the shit you want from the side lines, but until you back it up you'll always remain exactly that. When you're ready for a dirt nap pm me in irc any time son. I'm sure that you'll continue hugging that edge though.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Please see my post about the 2 second Hally whack here:

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 017#p53017

There seems to be something wrong with the timeline Faust uses to establish a 2 second Hally Whack. When adjusting for actual dates it seems that it was removed on Feb 26th 1999.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Please see my post in regard to this miscalculated error on your part in that same thread...
Faust wrote:If you notice those were upcoming changes that were posted on Stratics for the 1st of February... These were not changes that were added on the 1st of February. You would have clearly realized that if you took closer notice on the meditation(channeling) part for that same article. Meditation wasn't activated until well after the 1st of February... Insta hit wasn't live until the 2nd of February, which is being discussed in that article too...

Do you realize that test center showed "upcoming" changes quite frequently before being published on the live shards? These changes were often discussed in a manner such as this, and still are to this very day.

The article written by this individual on stratics was CLEARLY a negative rant towards the upcoming changes that was live on the test center.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Lets narrow this down to one thread.