Sea Serpents

Topics related to Second Age
Slaine
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Sea Serpents

Post by Slaine »

Arr Just thought I would add my tuppence worth. Just hit 100 on Captain Blight, went deep see trawling. First serp I pulled up had a MIB on it ARrr! haha. Great stuff.

Next question. The location is miles away from me, is there a MiB library- similar to T Maps, to get to places fast?

Generic

Post by Generic »

Slaine wrote:Next question. The location is miles away from me, is there a MiB library- similar to T Maps, to get to places fast?
No, this would be impossible since you can't just recall to anywhere out in the ocean...

I suggest saving up 20 or so, and then marking them all on the map in UOAutomap. You can make a nice efficient path through them, and organize your loot while your boat travels to the next spot.

cletus

Post by cletus »

Generic wrote:
Slaine wrote:Next question. The location is miles away from me, is there a MiB library- similar to T Maps, to get to places fast?
No, this would be impossible since you can't just recall to anywhere out in the ocean...

I suggest saving up 20 or so, and then marking them all on the map in UOAutomap. You can make a nice efficient path through them, and organize your loot while your boat travels to the next spot.
Off topic I know, but Generic did you ever play on Metropolis? That was also the staff name of one of the coolest programmers ever : :)

Generic

Post by Generic »

cletus wrote:Off topic I know, but Generic did you ever play on Metropolis? That was also the staff name of one of the coolest programmers ever : :)
Nope. I've been asked this before actually.

Thesbus

Post by Thesbus »

It may have changed since the last time I went fishing, but on my GM fisher I would regularly have 3-5 serpents up at a time. It got to the point that I would have to wait for the corpses to despawn because they boxed in my boat and I couldn't move. I would use my GM bard/mage to kill them off while the fisher kept on a fishing and as long as I stayed in the middle of the boat the only thing they could do was cast magic at me (side note: Fairly decent resist gains doing this)

Tron

Post by Tron »

Drudging up an old thread, but were serps and mibs a part of t2a?

A friend of mine said they weren't and pointed me to this wiki.

http://www.uoguide.com/Publish_4
V SISTERS UNITE! SAVING OUR VAJAYJAYS FOR SOMEONE SPECIAL!

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

Fishing up MiBs came in March 1999 according to the patch notes. The MiBs being in the belly of sea serpents was not until closer to UO:R, which is probably what your link is refering to.

Tron

Post by Tron »

The following is a list of changes deployed as Publish 4 on March 8, 2000

Fishermen at over 80 skill will have a chance to pull up a sea serpent regardless of whether they succeed or fail at fishing when in deep sea.

Every time you successfully fish up a treasure map or SOS bottle a sea serpent will surface and attack. The treasure map or SOS bottle will be on the serpents corpse. Sea serpents that are pulled up through normal fishing that did not result in a treasure map or SOS bottle will not have these items on them. Only the sea serpents that are pulled up because of a treasure map or SOS bottle will have them on their corpse.
V SISTERS UNITE! SAVING OUR VAJAYJAYS FOR SOMEONE SPECIAL!

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Blue PK changes, fishing, and more Mar 28 1999 9:35AM CST
o Fishing
+ Fishing has received a major overhaul. There are yet more changes planned for fishing in future updates.
+ Based on your skill level, you now have a chance of pulling up the following (listed in increasing difficulty order)
# One of any of several types of boots
# Fish, as always
# Magical fish, which can boost stamina, strength, intelligence, or dexterity.
# Treasure maps
# Messages in bottles
# Sea serpents (on failure)
# Deep sea serpents (on failure, and if deep in the ocean)
+ Fishing for sunken treasure:
# Double-clicking on a message in a bottle will extract a waterstained SOS.
# The SOS will have sextant coordinates on it which will be somewhere in the ocean.
# Fishing at the location given will try to recover the sunken treasure, as long as the SOS is at the top level of your backpack. You may recover bones, artifacts from the sunken ship, or the treasure itself.
# You can keep fishing until you get the treasure, at which point the message disappears.

And heres a stratics page last updated in July 1999.

http://web.archive.org/web/199910092036 ... ishing.htm

That publish just changed a few thin, MiBs were in well before that as you can see.

On a related note my fisher is at 27 skill and is pulling up rare fish. Thats definetly not right.
?

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Bumping for clarification.

Is that right or not? Fishing up the magic fish at under 80? Wiki says 0 skill but stratics claims 80.
?

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

Yeah, I don't think you should be pulling up magic fish at that low of skill.

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

Is the sea serpents ability to un-hide you era accurate, or just a security feature to keep people from making 6 fishers and fish all night long bringing in killer loot?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Any attempt to fish is supposed to reveal the fisher as explained on this line item from a patch note:

Mini-Update Published To All Shards Mar 28 1999 9:37AM CST
Fishing:
  • If you are hidden, fishing will now unhide you.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

I'm at work so cannot test this, however I believe my newly created fisher was remaining hidden while fishing from Britain docks.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks, will fix.