Ghosting spawns - so...?

Topics related to Second Age
Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Ghosting spawns - so...?

Post by Hemperor »

Mirage wrote:
Hemperor wrote:i'm done playing for a while, a week...or a year who knows, quote me on this one. too many factors involved, mainly points that have been problem since the beginning but the shard can't/won't address.
You have to give derrick time to get around to things, quitting won't get anything done any faster. Don't let it frustruate you too much.
I worded that wrong, these things do piss me off but I'm taking a break for personal reasons as well. I know Derrick does an excellent job here, he's not going to do anything at all if these discussions just die, that's why i resurrected it.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

Or maybe just allow multiple accounts for people who subscribe, thus bringing in more money for the shard and eliminating lamers from ghosting. People who do things like ghosting don't deserve to have an extra account running. It's a waste to the shard.

It would be nice if this was considered.

or maybe at least limit the offenders to one account if they continue to ghost.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

MatronDeWinter wrote:They already made a big leap in the dirrection of eliminating ghosting. I dont know if you realize it, but ghosts here cannot see the healthbars of the living, a feature which is NOT era accurate to begin with but certainly serves to prevent ghosting.
Just confirmed that you cannot see any health bars while a ghost on the demo.
Last edited by Hemperor on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Ryemus

Post by Ryemus »

this is pretty weak that you're going away from era accuracy.

Also vlast got put in his place and i'm glad it's documented that he thought he stood a chance against us :)
Ryemus -U-

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

MatronDeWinter wrote:There was a young fellow a while back that made a character named "YOURBEINGGHOSTED" or something, and would go to hotspots and show/spam "0oo0o" when he found an enemy ghost.

Was a good service to the community, not sure what happened to him.
The same thing that happens to every uncompensated community service person... they get tired of doing shit for other people for nothing in return, and quit.

Not to rip off The Untouchables... but if ACE has 4 people they gate into the LL room, you bring 8. In a month or so, I'll likely have some characters with nice stats and skills, and I'll join anyone here that wants to stop the ghosting ambush by ambushing the ambushers.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Ryemus wrote:this is pretty weak that you're going away from era accuracy.

Also vlast got put in his place and i'm glad it's documented that he thought he stood a chance against us :)
This issue hurts the shard. Era accurate or not, there are conditions on UOSA which make doing something towards this problem on UOSA in 2009. Perhaps there was 'ghost to recon a spawn' in 1999 but it certianly wasn't nearly as amplified as is is here. If OSI had this issue at this concentration you would have quickly seen a Patch Note fixing it.

Now, I use to 'ghost' in dungeons to burn counts off faster. But there has to be a way to control spawn camping.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

My 2 cents...

The root problem is three accounts per person. The solution is 1 account per person. Extra accounts for family can be on a case by case basis and those 'family accounts' can be flagged for the occasional checking up on plus have some extra restrictions.

Extra personal accounts could be included for subscribers...but the two problems with that is:
1. Is it legal?
2. Derrick doesn't want to give favors to donators.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

to be honest i use to hate ghosting .. and to some points i still do .. however i have 3 accounts to .. when i want to go some were like LL room .. i log a ghost on ... (i'm willing to use a few char for this .. account choices *era acc ) and i watch it while i do my other UO things .. restock vendors .. crafting to restock my backroom supply .. etc .. i've been pk'ed only once i think there .. well with my hunter not my ghost many res me to get updates :) .. plenty people try to pk but honestly if you understand how the room works and have a recall macro you are unstopable when it comes to recall .. keep reflec. up a traped pouch and don't be scared to lose a kills loot .. just get out .. seems era acc to me .. ( as always never played OSI much less OSI in T2A .. but my thoughts from what i've read)

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

My 2 cents...

The root problem is three accounts per person. The solution is 1 account per person. Extra accounts for family can be on a case by case basis and those 'family accounts' can be flagged for the occasional checking up on plus have some extra restrictions.

Extra personal accounts could be included for subscribers...but the two problems with that is:
1. Is it legal?

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Arkosh Kovasz wrote:
My 2 cents...

1. Is it legal?

I think the logical way to do it is to allow each person to pick the five characters they want to keep. Assuming the one account route was taken. Move the five characters to the one account and delete the rest.

-Multiple accounts was T2A accurate.
-Free accounts of any amount was not T2A accurate.

15 character allows a person to try out many different templates but it also:
- Allows for 15 houses.
- Allows for ghosting.
- Removes the need to purchase items (since you can have a GM in every skill)(moreso than if you just had 5 characters)
- More item counts, more characters.
- Quicker and easier to log on other accounts for backup/revenge/etc. I.E. you are hunting, a pk kills you. You quickly log in another character without having to wait to time out or log out properly.
I am sure there are many more, both positive and negative.

Edit: Alternatively, there is the start now approach. From a set time on everyone gets one account. Unless you get specific permission you may only have one account logged in at a time. Thus those with 15 characters keep them but can't log on three characters at once (unless they go through the 'same household' process.)

Of course, no matter how you do it, there will always be abuse and loop holes.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

I think the fix would be rather simple. But before, define the problem.

There are valid reasons for parking a ghost in a dungeon, or at least I hope there will be with the addition of faster burn of counts, but that aside, the real issue is wholesale and constant parking of a ghost at popular hunting locations for risk free PK recon.

It's not 3 accounts, or even an argument about era accuracy. The fact is that the hunting locations in UOSA is severely camped in a way that poses no risk to the 'campers'.

So, in my opinion, there should be a 'parking limit' on locations at a dungeon. Once ones parking limit expires, regardless if they are macroing or now, they simply get teleported just inside the dungeon's entrance.

That way, the player still remains in the dungeon however they just can camp at a location for ones ALT to come in and rape other player’s kills.

It's not much different than the 'help stuck' button and it is a simple and elegant way of addressing a highly abused valueless and risk free tactic.

Unemployed

Post by Unemployed »

The one account thing has been abused and is not going to be changed. Ghosting is simply pathetic, if it were camping a spawn to see when something like the balron or aw spawns that'd be one thing. People ghosting lich lords, elder gazers and all the farming spots is just pathetic. Nothing you can do about it though it's just the way the game is. The only thing you can do about it is make it policy to not ghost spawns and have the admins take care of them.
Forum/IRC Warrior

grimey

Post by grimey »

why is this such an issue?
scouting busy dungeons spawns with two or three people recalling to hotspots can effectively monitor a wider area at a faster rate than ghosting.
whats next, a discussion on how many times you can recall in a minute?

get over it.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Pretty obvious from whom replys in what manner who ghosts and who does not. Why was the war mode system not considered Tron?
?

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

Arkosh Kovasz wrote:
My 2 cents...

1. Is it legal?

It's way easier than this... simply make it so people can only log in 1 IP at a time... you can keep your 3 accounts. Then you can just deal with the people who continue to offend(with banning or kicking) if they try to make it around the 1 IP system.