The Definition of Unattended Resource Gathering

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Read post first.

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 98

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: The Definition of Unattended Resource Gathering

Post by Biohazard »

i personally dont think you should even be allowed to have multiple accounts unless you subscribe or donate.

something like this is very hard to monitor.

true that this is screwing the economy but in all honesty i dont think the economy here (or anywhere) will ever be anything worth talking about as it already seems to me that its out of whack. I dont really get the feeling on any shard that the economy is held in the high regard it needs to be to be successful. It should really have a person(s) watching it constantly and making improvements constantly. allowing people multiple free accounts is what really screws the economy (low and behold one of the reasons being the exact topic in this post)

P.S. Im not saying that economic balance is impossible but look at the real world... it will never be completely achieved as things are constantly changing. I am also not saying the staff here is incapable or anything of that nature. It just seems that no shard gets the importance or scrutiny of a balanced economy.

Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mephistopheles »

Hemperor wrote:The other day, I reported to Derrick that someone was gathering logs and ore on 2 clients while only playing another client to pvp etc...not even paying attention to the others.

He claimed this wasn't illegal in any way.
If that is the case, then I suppose it isn't illegal. I don't see why a person shouldn't be able to figure out how to set up a macro that allows for movement, positioning and then use of the skill.

Say I took the time to set up a macro that includes movement and I did this across the entire island of Moonglow. I'd simply take a shot of where I started the macro and would be able to gather much more easily. Very convenient.

The point is, the person is "attending" the game as opposed to going to sleep and do that.

Minor technicality?

I haven't read the thread at all.

At least change the angle so people can't see where my characters are. Fire/IPBan anyone who plays my characters too plz. KThxBai.

venox

Post by venox »

ban recall, gate and movement from macroing and this will all be solved.

Bakishwaka

Post by Bakishwaka »

i would love to see recalls/gates banned

i just think it would make things interesting! no moongates too

think of how different this game would be!

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Bakishwaka wrote:i would love to see recalls/gates banned

You would have liked Siege Perilous. Gate worked, recall, not so much.

venox

Post by venox »

i was suggesting more in terms of disallowing those actions from been scripted into macros.

Bakishwaka

Post by Bakishwaka »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
Bakishwaka wrote:i would love to see recalls/gates banned

You would have liked Siege Perilous. Gate worked, recall, not so much.
i tried playing on Siege shortly before i retired from OSI, it was better but i wasnt good enuff :oops:

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Can we get a staff response on this? 2 months old with 73 votes, majority coming to the conclusion of the obvious. I find it ridiculous that the rules are like this in the first place considering how hard this shard strives for accuracy in all other aspects. The debate goes on in IRC often as well, I think a staff response could put this to rest.

[18:03] <Vlastslav-TG> think i won considering im still macroing ore
[18:03] * UOSAPlayer has quit IRC (Quit: UoSecondAge.com Website Java user signed off)
[18:03] <Vlastslav-TG> muhahaha

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Trying or enforce this would be equivalent to trying to put a cop in everyone's car to make sure they aren't speeding. The rule that we currently have is enforceable, and to be honest, as I've stated in the past in many other threads on this subject, most people that I come across are right there when approached. This seems attended to me, if they are tabbing back and forth from two characters, one to fight in the dungeon and one to mine (which I assume would be legit under the thread proposal), how am I supposed to tell?

It's fine to make up these hypothetical rules and imagine the shard being a better place, and ingots being 10 gold each, but this just isn't realistic. I'm sorry to take such a negative stance on this, but it's just logistics. There are many other fine proposals in here on what we could do to curb this somehow, but when I look at 247 unique IP's online, and only 5 miners, it's difficult to believe this is the crisis this poll initially made it out to be.

However, that being said I'm very willing to have a look at ways to improve the player economy. One suggestion which I belive was made in this thread to lengthen the respawn time, and decrease the resource per vein was made a few weeks ago.

I belive in having clear lines in the sand, and rules that are enforceable. We do not want to start making judgement calls on whether we belive one person or another is telling the truth when they say it was their brother in the other room doing that mining, while they were in the dungeon.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Derrick wrote:Trying or enforce this would be equivalent to trying to put a cop in everyone's car to make sure they aren't speeding. The rule that we currently have is enforceable, and to be honest, as I've stated in the past in many other threads on this subject, most people that I come across are right there when approached. This seems attended to me, if they are tabbing back and forth from two characters, one to fight in the dungeon and one to mine (which I assume would be legit under the thread proposal), how am I supposed to tell?

It's fine to make up these hypothetical rules and imagine the shard being a better place, and ingots being 10 gold each, but this just isn't realistic. I'm sorry to take such a negative stance on this, but it's just logistics. There are many other fine proposals in here on what we could do to curb this somehow, but when I look at 247 unique IP's online, and only 5 miners, it's difficult to believe this is the crisis this poll initially made it out to be.

However, that being said I'm very willing to have a look at ways to improve the player economy. One suggestion which I belive was made in this thread to lengthen the respawn time, and decrease the resource per vein was made a few weeks ago.

I belive in having clear lines in the sand, and rules that are enforceable. We do not want to start making judgement calls on whether we belive one person or another is telling the truth when they say it was their brother in the other room doing that mining, while they were in the dungeon.
I think a set rule in place for multiclienting resource gathering would be hard to enforce, however there are many rules like that that are similar. You would still bust the people like Vlast and others I won't name that are well known about it, you get enough people telling you it's happening, you look into it...jail time.

It's not so much about being able to enforce it, I'll give most of the people doing this the benefit of the doubt and say they would stop if you said it was illegal, a rule says a lot.

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

I just don't see any economy in crisis.. months later now.. and still no crisis

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Daolin wrote:I just don't see any economy in crisis.. months later now.. and still no crisis
But you do see hallys for 99 gold and ingots selling at 5gp. I believe this is the connection we are trying to make, take a moment and think of how this may possibly affect ALL other aspects of the game.

era accuracy.

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

ingots for 5gp is a desperate person's choice. I sell out at 7gp no problem, higher than the average that was on OSI. Anything higher is really pushing away from era accuracy :P

Cutpurse

Post by Cutpurse »

Ban non-boat movement in macros. Not easy to enforce, but it's one thing you can do.

(1) GM gets a call.
(2) GM responds to check on resource gatherer.
(3) GM notices gatherer IS moving via foot while gathering.
(4) Before revealing himself, GM checks IP to see if character is dual logged.
(5) If it is dual logged, GM checks other logged in char for movement. If both chars are moving at the same time, it'd be safe to assume there is movement in the resource macro.

Same goes for recalling gating. Sure, it takes like 30 more seconds to check, but at least it keeps them from tabbing over from their active char to say "Hi! I'm totally here!"
Programs that allow accurate movement during macroing have been illegal on OSI for a long long time, so it'd be "era accurate". Razor's movement ability it totally screwed up for anything other than boat commands so if you see someone dong recalls/gates they are probably using EUO, anyway (which is illegal third party).

What about boat mining? I have no problem with it since you can pirate the boat (cast EV or BS). As long as they aren't recalling or gating the resource out via macro -- "forward one" is ok.

Also, someone shold check on this.. at one time, wasn't it impossible to gather resources in town limits?

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

I just don't see the reasoning behind this. I could go on a zealous run to ban tamers from making gold! But its not accurate, and I haven't really seem them as a problem. That is the same for macro mining. People are attending, the prices and economy are fine. Sure there may be a lot of GM smiths, but these people had money from somewhere to pay OSI prices or higher. Take it to the source! People just keep making era inaccurate suggestions, and following their own personal agenda.