We need change, for the sake of the server.

Topics related to Second Age
Loathed

Re: We need change, for the sake of the server.

Post by Loathed »

fix the guard command it should negate many of the angry tamers in our lands. =)

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Onslaught- wrote:Just to be clear here, I want to use this time as being as productive as possible and this is in no way a flame, or attack on Derrick, or the people who help run this server. This thread is meant to be productive and I'd appreciate it if the trolling or negativity is kept a a minimum or even better, non-existent.

As someone who has been playing this server off and on since December of 2007, and being a long-time supporter of it as well, I have to say I'm actually legitimately worried about the current state of the server. In 2007/2008, even with 20 - 30 people being online during peak hours, I still saw more action than I do today and that is a problem. So how do you fix something like this? How do you keep people interested in a nearly 18-year-old game stuck in a unchanging era?

I've seen the "bring back the events!" threads but i don't think I ever saw legitimate cause for it other than "we're bored." Those events are why originally playing here was so awesome. I don't think bringing them back at this point is an admission of defeat or something. I think it could be done to revitalize a community that is clearly on life-support. If done correctly, I think the events could slowly bring this server back to a state at which it deserves to be at.

This server currently has about 100 - 150 players who are logged on during the day but a total of like 350 who log on throughout the day. The issue for PvP is also quite simple. People log on, do a run-through of the dungeons, or sit at the graveyard. When they see nothing happening, they log off. The only group PvP that happens these days is purely by coincidence. When the stars align, and people are online at the same time instead of logging on and finding nothing to do.

I have a few suggestions that I would love some feedback on from Derrick and company, or from the rest of the community. First off:

#1.) Bring back the events, for UOSA's sake. My problem with the events were we had event loggers. People who would see these scheduled event times and log in for the events, then log off promptly afterwards. If these events did NOT have scheduled times and were started at random times, and kept on random cycles, you would see more people online, doing other things while they waited for these events to take place. The events were fucking fun, that's all there is to it.

#2.) We as a community should just have set times for PvP. On Great Lakes back in 99 - 2003, people played anytime they wanted, but they knew if they wanted those large-scale PvP battles, it was happening between 7PM - 11PM EST. Why aren't we doing this? There is no reason why we can't setup something similar to keep people logging on. If it caught on, we could even advertise different "battle grounds" each time we did it.

#3.) If it really is as simple as advertising to get people coming into this server, why aren't we using reddit to spread the word? I recently had an experience with reddit and my WoW guild which led to our website receiving over 100k unique hits and over 10k views in just under 2 days. If we actually took time to write up a well thought-out post with links/screenshots/etc, it would bring alot of traffic to the website and hopefully, alot of new players.

As someone who has recently looked at other outlets for his UO addiction, I can clearly state that this server is an absolute gem. To give up on it or take no action when it clearly needs help, would be a crime.

Its too late now in my opinion man.
Everyone who cried about events and "event loggers" didnt realize that at least people logged in for events. The hour before an event, and the hour after an went was the most popular time to pvp and the most fun. Honestly this is my first time on the forums in a few weeks and its even worse than before. I don't even think events will save it. With the housing, the shitty community, and the nazi-like headmaster, its a dead game.
I urge mammoth and boom land to make their own uosa server with events an start over.
Let the people who love their pixels and are scared to wipe stay here. Or just let this place die, whatever. Regardless its over.

Effectively calling the administration Nazis has earned you a 1 week ban from the forums. Your rhetoric has been afforded as much respect as can possibly be expected, and we have even attempted to engage you and explain our position. Yet, you have responded in the most egregious way possible in practically all instances, culminating in this response. Enough is enough.
Last edited by Kaivan on Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do it again, and you're gone permanently.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Teriyl

Post by Teriyl »

Agreed Menk. I jumped on a couple of days ago and it doesn't look good. Close the server and move on, you're really only going to hurt 20 people's feelings anyway.

Denis the Menace

Post by Denis the Menace »

I would join the new UOSA-like shard aswell even if I have worked hard here to establish....

This shard is overdone, a few ppl. owning everything and there's no chance to enter into the club anymore (best example !housing! then rares, unique items and so on)

But please think on EU-Players and place the server near to the oversea cable so you will insta 400+ ppl. couse we lack of a good server. Would donate aswell.

Denis the Menace

Post by Denis the Menace »

Teriyl wrote:Agreed Menk. I jumped on a couple of days ago and it doesn't look good. Close the server and move on, you're really only going to hurt 20 people's feelings anyway.

I dont think it would hurt theese players, maybe the opposite.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Denis the Menace wrote:
Teriyl wrote:Agreed Menk. I jumped on a couple of days ago and it doesn't look good. Close the server and move on, you're really only going to hurt 20 people's feelings anyway.

I dont think it would hurt theese players, maybe the opposite.
First thing I've ever agreed with you on.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Syphilis_Jack

Post by Syphilis_Jack »

Housing is probably one of the biggest issues on the server. It seems like a vast percentage of the housing on this shard is owned by people who only log in to refresh them. Perhaps a shard wipe in this case would be helpful to catch the people that are leaving UO Forever and other fly by night shards like An Corp. Why would new players want to join a shard that's best days are behind them, where all the best housing spots are taken by people who don't even play anymore?

Aside from a shard wipe, you could limit housing per IP address. Maybe 5- and give maybe a month's notice for people to start real estate fire sales on the housing they don't want to protect from this rule. This would jump start a housing boom in the shard, rather than having 20 keeps and castles held by the same 3 people who can afford to plop them down when things go IDOC. Sure you'd probably piss off those 3 people, but it might give this place a shot in the arm. Sure, you might have some of the housing refreshers a little miffed that their keep of uberness is no longer there for them to refresh once every 2 weeks.

Of course, shard wipes and housing limits aren't "era accurate'"... but then again neither is a population that struggles to get above 100 on any given day.
I can't stand.. to see my own reflection, 'cause I see the monster they tell me that I am...

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

You want to fix housing, limit the number of houses per account to 1 or 2. That would free up a tremendous amount of real estate. Give people a couple of months to dispose of their property, clean out their houses, etc. If they leave the shard in protest, screw 'em. More era-accurate, too.

There are people here with 15 castles and keeps (and some, let's be realistic, with control of more than 15 houses). Greedy pigs. Hurts the shard.

I'm down to a tower and a small across 3 accounts/15 characters.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Budner wrote:You want to fix housing, limit the number of houses per account to 1 or 2. That would free up a tremendous amount of real estate. Give people a couple of months to dispose of their property, clean out their houses, etc. If they leave the shard in protest, screw 'em. More era-accurate, too.

There are people here with 15 castles and keeps (and some, let's be realistic, with control of more than 15 houses). Greedy pigs. Hurts the shard.

I'm down to a tower and a small across 3 accounts/15 characters.
tl;dr "I live a certain way. Change the entire shard to do things my way, because I like it."
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

Says the dude who controls more real estate than anyone.

You do a lot for this shard and I'm not a Vega-hater like half the people here. But hoarding houses is bad for UOSA. You won't admit it, but you know I'm right.

Tell you one thing. I come by my viewpoint honestly and less selfishly than you. I dumped my houses. I'm not the one hoarding property. Your self-interest in being a house ho negates the legitimacy of your commentary on this issue.

My self-interest is improvement of the shard. Yours is pixels.
Last edited by Budner on Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Budner wrote: Your self-interest in being a house ho negates the legitimacy of your commentary on this issue.
I'm going to take that to some local college so I can establish a new definition for projecting. The initial point is that your comment negates itself, which somehow you've now assigned to my rebuttal.

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

Good for you, and meanwhile you've established a textbook example of deflection. Meanwhile the shard still suffers from your pixel lust.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Damnsammit

Post by Damnsammit »

Menkaure wrote: With the housing, the shitty community, and the nazi-like headmaster, its a dead game.
I urge mammoth and boom land to make their own uosa server with events an start over.
Let the people who love their pixels and are scared to wipe stay here. Or just let this place die, whatever. Regardless its over.

Effectively calling the administration Nazis has earned you a 1 week ban from the forums. Your rhetoric has been afforded as much respect as can possibly be expected, and we have even attempted to engage you and explain our position. Yet, you have responded in the most egregious way possible in practically all instances, culminating in this response. Enough is enough.
This cracked me up.

Menkaure: The admin are Nazis

Admin: You call us Nazis? NO FORUM FOR YOU!

Syphilis_Jack

Post by Syphilis_Jack »

That's pretty damn funny right there :lol:. Almost choked on my chinese food.
I can't stand.. to see my own reflection, 'cause I see the monster they tell me that I am...