House Bans:

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Derrick

Re: House Bans:

Post by Derrick »

Hiram wrote:I remember NOT being able to open doors while banned, but I seem to remember being able to be adjacent to the steps but if I attempted to open the door it would kick you to the ban location.

Edit: I can try this on OSI when I get home perhaps.
Awesome, please do; I doubt this is a mechanic that would have changed.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

Faust wrote: No one ever said that it did.

My concern was never with the way a banned player's location was changed when attempting to walk over a banned region. It was only the outer layer of the steps that functioned as part of the "banned region" that disallowed them to open doors. The argument was that the default ban location that they move to is "3 tiles" from the door meaning a space in between the steps and the player ALWAYS exist. Seems odd that they would put them in between that space if it didn't react as part of the banned region in my opinion.
a space between the player and the steps may exist when the individual gets ejected initially, but there is nothing in your reference to suggest that you cannot move a tile closer towards the steps once you have been banned, nor is there anything to suggest that you shouldn't be able to open the house doors.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Again, no one ever said that it did.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

OP
Faust wrote:The tiles around the front steps of a house should also forcefully be ejecting banned players from a house.
Housing Update Phase 3 Dec 21 1998 1:48PM - http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=1998_Patch_Notes wrote: Ban works exactly as "add a friend" does, except it bans.
Any house friend may use this command.
Banning will also eject the character from the house, to three tiles from the door.
You cannot ban a friend of the house.
A message explaining what happened is given to the victim.
There is a limit of 50 bans.
this reference does not mention anything regarding the original post.

what is it that you're trying to say exactly? that banned players should not be able to walk onto tiles adjacent to house steps (OP) or that ejected players should be moved 3 tiles away from the door (reference)?

Pro

Post by Pro »

Faust wrote:Again, no one ever said that it did.

Then what's the point in this thread? you're highlighting something that already happens.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Develop a discussion on the topic to see if anyone else remembers it. The only reason the "default" location was produced was based on the extra tile surrounding the steps. It just seems odd to me that all default locations are always outside of that tile range. We have someone in the thread going to test it out on current production shards. If this post hadn't been made this would not be happening. So this post has been beneficial in the end.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Faust wrote:Again, no one ever said that it did.
Wait, no one ever said so? You mean YOU did not say that it did? Do you even read what you yourself post?
Let me refresh your warped memory:
Faust wrote:Banned players are not suppose to be able to open the house doors
Faust wrote:The tiles around the front steps of a house should also forcefully be ejecting banned players from a house.
That's YOU saying what you just said nobody ever said.

Faust

Post by Faust »

If you would try a little harder to pay more closely to the content of the thread the next time around, you would realize the "nobody ever said it did" comment was in reference to the person saying the quote said nothing about my fix proposal... :roll:

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

you're not very clear as to what the purpose of this thread is? you haven't provided any evidence to support the implementation of what's in your OP:
so what is it that should be changed exactly?

Faust

Post by Faust »

Faust wrote:My concern was never with the way a banned player's location was changed when attempting to walk over a banned region. It was only the outer layer of the steps that functioned as part of the "banned region" that disallowed them to open doors. The argument was that the default ban location that they move to is "3 tiles" from the door meaning a space in between the steps and the player ALWAYS exist. Seems odd that they would put them in between that space if it didn't react as part of the banned region in my opinion.
Pro wrote:Then what's the point in this thread?
Faust wrote:Develop a discussion on the topic to see if anyone else remembers it.
Reading does wonders.

Pro

Post by Pro »

Maybe if you didn't structure your sentences like a monkey with down syndrome we wouldn't have this problem.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Numerous mYm members has been rather faulty with their reading comprehension on more than one instance... :wink:

sirrayiv

Post by sirrayiv »

A banned player should not be able to open your house door. End of Discussion.

Hiram
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hiram »

I have a house spot on Atlantic to test this with, does anyone else have an OSI account? PM me and we can set up a time to try it!

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

Kaivan wrote:This line item from the UOR Patch Notes shows how players who attempt to enter a house they are banned from was handled differently from that point forward:
UOR Patch Notes wrote:House Banning
The effect of being banned from a house will change slightly. When a player, monster, animal, or NPC is banned from a house and approach the door, they will be moved under the house sign (the eject location) rather than bouncing back a couple of spaces.
On a (semi)-related note, this patch note makes it seem as if, when banned, the character should be thrown back a few steps from the house. Iirc, having been banned from quite a few houses in my time here, currently, one is moved to the eject location, which seems to be what the UOR patch note implemented.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!