Tents

Topics related to Second Age
xevec
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Tents

Post by xevec »

I agree with Blaise, let tents be available for guild addons, but leave it at that.
Seriously there's lots of people offering to let new players use their empty small houses, so I don't think adding tents as regular housing accomplish anything.

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

I just wanted to make a gypsy character and wander around from place to place, set down my tent for a day or two then move on. It doesn't work so well with a house deed :(

As for a BUM tent city, I'll apply for something like that if and when I feel we've done enough to earn the right to ask for addons.
Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

Brules

Post by Brules »

chainsoar wrote:I just wanted to make a gypsy character and wander around from place to place, set down my tent for a day or two then move on. It doesn't work so well with a house deed :(

As for a BUM tent city, I'll apply for something like that if and when I feel we've done enough to earn the right to ask for addons.
Worst case they could just add a gypsy camp in front of the tower. Would look great.

Charla

Post by Charla »

Since I played well before the T2A extension, I remember tents very well. It is true people placed them as court yards, but

it also true tents where used for vendor shops ( at least on the two shards I played on regular bases.)

As far as placing tents in a large area to prevent someone grabbing the spot until the person or persons placing the tents

could buy a larger deed. I really don't see much difference in that use of tents as people are still placing small houses

for the same purpose. To keep the space secure for their own use. So is that considered "grief" as well? If so, many

guilds on shard are guilty. LOL

Have fun but be safe

Westra

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

Charla makes a valid point. The idea of tents being a cheap alternative for newbies never really occurred to me, since tent deeds cost about 22k I think most newbies would prefer to wait until they can afford the extra 20 rather than spend what they have and go back to square one in house purchasing terms.

I will admit that if tents were available, I might make a habit of camping on rich players land from time to time, but for the purposes of tongue-in-cheek humour rather than griefing.
Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

chainsoar wrote:I will admit that if tents were available, I might make a habit of camping on rich players land from time to time, but for the purposes of tongue-in-cheek humour rather than griefing.
Exactly. I think it would be funny to have a BUM camp show up in Ascalon. They could RP like Urks, demanding tribute (ie: bumming change) but instead of attacking, just keep getting drunk and being annoying.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

BlaiseDad wrote:
chainsoar wrote:I will admit that if tents were available, I might make a habit of camping on rich players land from time to time, but for the purposes of tongue-in-cheek humour rather than griefing.
Exactly. I think it would be funny to have a BUM camp show up in Ascalon. They could RP like Urks, demanding tribute (ie: bumming change) but instead of attacking, just keep getting drunk and being annoying.
Blaise understands me so well <3

Also, I understand there's a gypsy guild around at the moment who would no doubt make similar and excellent use of tents.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

As interesting as it would be to have tents in game, there is one small problem:
Housing Update Phase 3 Dec 21 1998 1:48PM wrote:
  • Tents still cannot be placed.
So, unfortunately, tents could not be placed during T2A.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

id still take a deed :O
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Flea

Post by Flea »

BlackFoot wrote:id still take a deed :O
I second that. Tent deeds WERE a rare. If I remember correctly they were colored to the color the tent was.

Jorel

Post by Jorel »

Not to railroad the thread but remember when you could place a guildstone on a boat :lol:

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

Kaivan wrote:As interesting as it would be to have tents in game, there is one small problem:
Housing Update Phase 3 Dec 21 1998 1:48PM wrote:
  • Tents still cannot be placed.
So, unfortunately, tents could not be placed during T2A.
<chainsoar> you know that feeling when you respect someone's knowledge but you hate them a little bit for inadvertently using it in a way that works against you?

Brules

Post by Brules »

I still vote for some tents in front of the BUM new player housing area....!

uoparanoid

Post by uoparanoid »

This post brought back memorys :lol: , im gutted i used to have screenshots of when someone placed a small stone tower in moonglow, would love to see if people still have old screenshots of randomness back on OSI, might ask some mates =D, i was sure tents where 1998 though?, despite their problems ofc.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

The very beginning of T2A had tents...whether they were placeable or just leftovers at that point, I cannot remember or see any concrete evidence that says what the deal was. Maybe I was missing something. Shortly after T2A came out, though, they did in fact get rid of the ability to place tents.

So...for a short period there were tents in T2A.

They would be really cool for RP'ing (BUM) and for Guild Activities and a variety of other things.

Why not have them? Can't see how it would hurt anything...and technically they were in-era...

Plus, they'd be something "new" and that is always good for more excitement.

-L/S

P.S. The Fishermen Tent on the Vesper Beach has brigands in it. This is a travesty. The poor fishermen must have been scared away, they even dropped their poles and lures as they fled and now have no means of providing income and putting food on the table for their families.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro