PK res/counts

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Re: PK res/counts

Post by son »

Caranthir wrote:Yeah the instant res existed, but that was way early in UO times. Can we have the PK count fix first and then discuss auto res? ;) Derrick?
You cant have it both ways cap.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Caranthir

Post by Caranthir »

son wrote:You cant have it both ways cap.
Uhm, the thing wasn't AUTO-res it was a possible INSTA-res. The choice was to remain either a ghost or res, and that choice existed for everyone not just murderers.

The original topic was about the fact that murder counts should remain the same after resurrection due to era accuracy.

Ultimately, that's two different topics.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Caranthir wrote:
Uhm, the thing wasn't AUTO-res it was a possible INSTA-res. The choice was to remain either a ghost or res, and that choice existed for everyone not just murderers.

The original topic was about the fact that murder counts should remain the same after resurrection due to era accuracy.

felix is arguing that he should be allowed to take 10% stat loss if murder counts are going to remain the same after ressurrecting. technically they do have some bearing on each other

but the difference is that we know for sure that counts didn't change, while we currently have no proof that taking 10% stat loss as a deep stat murderer was ever possible.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by son »

Caranthir wrote:

Ye but you trying to nerf a certain aspect of pker's realm without acknowledging another era accurate feature that benefits them. Bias much?
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by son »

nightshark wrote:
Caranthir wrote:

felix is arguing that he should be allowed to take 10% stat loss if murder counts are going to remain the same after ressurrecting. technically they do have some bearing on each other

but the difference is that we know for sure that counts didn't change, while we currently have no proof that taking 10% stat loss as a deep stat murderer was ever possible.
Uncle Faust will find this

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Its pretty obvious that both the stat-loss and the instant res would necessarily need to stack. The reason? If they didn't, the maximum stat-loss that anyone would have ever taken would have been only 10%, which is perhaps 6 or 7 short term counts at best. The lack of any mention for this rather wide and obvious loophole suggests that it never existed in the first place, much like the stratics article says.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by son »

Kaivan wrote:Its pretty obvious that both the stat-loss and the instant res would necessarily need to stack. The reason? If they didn't, the maximum stat-loss that anyone would have ever taken would have been only 10%, which is perhaps 6 or 7 short term counts at best. The lack of any mention for this rather wide and obvious loophole suggests that it never existed in the first place, much like the stratics article says.
Except it was not widely known, and lets not forget the risk of only taking 10% loss is not guaranteed (you could die again right after).

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Usually if someone's recollection is incorrect, it's because they remember something from UO:R. In this case though, we know insta-ressing wasn't in UO:R, it was specifically taken out then. So how else could son remember doing this?

Also, side note: look at the posts in the Google groups archive and on Stratics. There just wasn't a lot of murderers in those places. So it stands to reason that a not-widely-known trick that murderers used would not be mentioned there.

Lastly... I think Derrick disabled the insta-res feature here because of players hitting it accidentally, or new players selecting it when they were confused about what it did.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Also, for what it's worth, I always remembered stat loss as anecdotally being 10% (I don't believe I had a red back then to know for sure what it was). I was surprised when I got here and learned it was 20%. So one possible explanation for people talking about 10% loss is the insta-res trick, if it existed.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

son wrote:
Kaivan wrote:Its pretty obvious that both the stat-loss and the instant res would necessarily need to stack. The reason? If they didn't, the maximum stat-loss that anyone would have ever taken would have been only 10%, which is perhaps 6 or 7 short term counts at best. The lack of any mention for this rather wide and obvious loophole suggests that it never existed in the first place, much like the stratics article says.
Except it was not widely known, and lets not forget the risk of only taking 10% loss is not guaranteed (you could die again right after).
A player had the same risk of dying again if they ressed through normal means and took stat loss. The only difference is that instant ressing with a 10% stat loss would circumvent the severity of normal stat loss beyond 6 or 7 counts, and would provide them a means of ressing instantly. This is essentially counter-productive to the whole point of the system, and takes nearly no effort to circumvent.
Mikel123 wrote:Also, for what it's worth, I always remembered stat loss as anecdotally being 10% (I don't believe I had a red back then to know for sure what it was). I was surprised when I got here and learned it was 20%. So one possible explanation for people talking about 10% loss is the insta-res trick, if it existed.
Before the re-introduction of stat-loss, under the old notoriety system, stat-loss was an immediate 10% loss upon death. Those references could easily point to that as well.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Mikel123 wrote:Usually if someone's recollection is incorrect, it's because they remember something from UO:R. In this case though, we know insta-ressing wasn't in UO:R, it was specifically taken out then. So how else could son remember doing this?
If you start basing stuff from people's memory, where do you draw the line? Not that I disbelieve son or think he has any reason to lie, it would just be a hard line to draw.

Besides, Faust already said insta res in the demo, so it's actually test-able.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Interesting Kaivan, that definitely could explain it as well.

I'm not sure quite how testable it is on the demo. There may be the insta-res option, yes, but there are no other players :-) So good luck building up murder counts :-)

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by son »

Kaivan wrote:
son wrote:
A player had the same risk of dying again if they ressed through normal means and took stat loss. The only difference is that instant ressing with a 10% stat loss would circumvent the severity of normal stat loss beyond 6 or 7 counts, and would provide them a means of ressing instantly. This is essentially counter-productive to the whole point of the system, and takes nearly no effort to circumvent.
Mikel123 wrote:Also, for what it's worth, I always remembered stat loss as anecdotally being 10% (I don't believe I had a red back then to know for sure what it was). I was surprised when I got here and learned it was 20%. So one possible explanation for people talking about 10% loss is the insta-res trick, if it existed.
Before the re-introduction of stat-loss, under the old notoriety system, stat-loss was an immediate 10% loss upon death. Those references could easily point to that as well.

Yea well I doubt it was something OSI intended.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Mikel123 wrote:Interesting Kaivan, that definitely could explain it as well.

I'm not sure quite how testable it is on the demo. There may be the insta-res option, yes, but there are no other players :-) So good luck building up murder counts :-)
Batlin can alter or modify any variable at start up of the demo.

He has already tested murder counts in the past for something else involving it.

He could even create a [set murders <insert amount> command to ease the testing for something like this.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by son »

Faust wrote:
Mikel123 wrote:Interesting Kaivan, that definitely could explain it as well.

Batlin can alter or modify any variable at start up of the demo.

He has already tested murder counts in the past for something else involving it.

He could even create a [set murders <insert amount> command to ease the testing for something like this.
Get er done plz