In game racism was a perma ban on OSI.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Re: In game racism was a perma ban on OSI.

Post by son »

Dagon wrote:
son wrote:
Dagon wrote:
Derrick wrote: There are tools within game which allow players to filer obscenities that offend them, and also ignore people, so we do not typically take any stance on player interactions.
Dagon has been banned at least three times from IRC due to racism.
wowowow ur kewl, boy with your irrelevant comments.
How is your bias irrelevant?
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

ehafh

Post by ehafh »

macroing, is not why i started this topic.
with all due respect if you want to ban afk macro's start your own topic in regard to that.
and actually it's not all or nothing, because it's not all or nothing currently.
“Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke.”
- Will Rogers

Shane2

Post by Shane2 »

Don't like the words someone uses?

Well, here you can hunt them down and kill them. Don't like what someone says to you? Kill 'em. Find their house and do it again if thats what you want, or don't interact with them at all. Thats one of the great things about UO, you can retaliate against people you don't like who do things that tick you off.

Banning somebody because you don't like a word they used is just lame. Its asking for the teacher to give Bobby a time out because little Bobby said a bad word. Grade school nonsense.

Censorship is conceptually silly and I find it weak, to me arguing for a ban because it was OSI policy is rather questionable. They still operate servers under that same ruleset which are available to everyone, I kind of like a more grown up gaming environment that doesn't have perma-nannies overseeing things and self righteous moralising over language and actions when retaliation is an option to everyone. People got banned for all kinds of dumb things and resurrecting that mentality won't help anything here, it will only unleash a torrent of people screaming for bans for whatever they don't like and then its back to an OSI environment.

No thanks.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Shane2 wrote:Don't like the words someone uses?

Well, here you can hunt them down and kill them. Don't like what someone says to you? Kill 'em. Find their house and do it again if thats what you want, or don't interact with them at all. Thats one of the great things about UO, you can retaliate against people you don't like who do things that tick you off.

Banning somebody because you don't like a word they used is just lame. Its asking for the teacher to give Bobby a time out because little Bobby said a bad word. Grade school nonsense.

Censorship is conceptually silly and I find it weak, to me arguing for a ban because it was OSI policy is rather questionable. They still operate servers under that same ruleset which are available to everyone, I kind of like a more grown up gaming environment that doesn't have perma-nannies overseeing things and self righteous moralising over language and actions when retaliation is an option to everyone. People got banned for all kinds of dumb things and resurrecting that mentality won't help anything here, it will only unleash a torrent of people screaming for bans for whatever they don't like and then its back to an OSI environment.

No thanks.
Personally I don't draw any negative criticism over OSI banning people for being racist dickwads.. I don't even recall anyone complaining about it at the time. Their game changes were what did that.

I would hardly call UOSA any more (or less) of a "grown up environment" than OSI was. Freedom of hate speech definitely doesn't make it any more so. I also don't think your "grade school" analogy fits at all - bigoted dickwads dont go far in life, period. I don't campaign for bans regarding this kind of vulgar language, but it'd be nice to see that people can actually handle their own maturity when given the option.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

I must say... I agree that Racial Slurs should be a Bannable Offence, Just like it was on OSI!

(we are going for Era Accuracy aren't we?)

do we not want this server to be inviting to more people?

Kill the Racism!!!!

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

TheEttinKing

Post by TheEttinKing »

In my world drug users and alcoholics are a race and im racist against them.

Jed Clampett on drugs story By the EttinKing.

Let me tell ya story bout a man named Jed poor man barley kept his family feed then one day he was smoking on a joint and zedd hit him with his truck...Twice.

Pac

Post by Pac »

ehafh wrote:macroing, is not why i started this topic.
with all due respect if you want to ban afk macro's start your own topic in regard to that.
and actually it's not all or nothing, because it's not all or nothing currently.

You played the "era-accurate" card so you can't pick or choose. If we implement censorship fine but if its done under the guise of OSI era accuracy then we have to implement other rules as well.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Pac wrote:
ehafh wrote:macroing, is not why i started this topic.

You played the "era-accurate" card so you can't pick or choose. If we implement censorship fine but if its done under the guise of OSI era accuracy then we have to implement other rules as well.
You wouldn't get banned for saying f*ck, c*nt, shit, or any of the other common English swear-words on OSI. Nor would you get banned for calling someone an idiot, or a noob.

All their speech related bannings were racial
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

uofuntime

Post by uofuntime »

It's interesting to see who is against racism and who is not. Then you notice the way they talk in IRC, forums and then you understand why... lol. Drop the racist attitudes ffs. It's embarrassing to both you and UOSA. Being racist is as cool as beating up your mom. Have some respect for yourself, please!

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

One of my guildmates son plays, he logs on, stealth-archers with us, logs off in time for bed.

It's pretty obnoxious when we enounter players such as
http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/34746
http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/121702
http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/125676

Heskey

Post by Heskey »

uofuntime wrote:It's interesting to see who is against racism and who is not. Then you notice the way they talk in IRC, forums and then you understand why... lol. Drop the racist attitudes ffs. It's embarrassing to both you and UOSA. Being racist is as cool as beating up your mom. Have some respect for yourself, please!
^ This

It's pretty pathetic to see that the people who go "Oh use the filter function" or "Grow up it's the internet no one cares" are the people who are overly aggressive on IRC; the kind of people you can't ask a question without getting a wall of

FAIL
FAIL

etc, in reply.

You wouldn't say it out on the street, why say it here? Yes it's the internet, yes it's free speech, but I personally; a lot of other players by the looks of things, and of course potential new players don't want to run around seeing inappropriate character names and people running around screaming the N-word just "because they can".

It's not that it's offensive, it's just not very pleasant.

[quote="jono1994"]ok i really think that u should add on the Elves race but still keep the original format of the game and also put in Necromancy :D[/quote]

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

i dont see the big deal honestly. if you are getting upset over something someone says to you in a video game, then you need to go back to the real world for a while. you are losing touch with reality if you think profane remarks in a video game in any way reflect real world society.

no im not racist, i just think derrick and staff already have their hands full with this server. to expect them to respond and possibly ban players for something as stupid as profanity when they are not even paid to run this server, is just asking to much. turn your profanity filters on, and quit complaining. its just UO.

Heskey

Post by Heskey »

ClowN wrote:i dont see the big deal honestly. if you are getting upset over something someone says to you in a video game, then you need to go back to the real world for a while. you are losing touch with reality if you think profane remarks in a video game in any way reflect real world society.
Don't over-dramatise it, it's not about "getting upset", or losing touch with reality.

And what does reflecting real world society have to do about anything?

It's nothing to do with any of those things, it's just about wanting to game without seeing "N*GGA" and "PUSSYCUNT" coming out of keyboard warrior's mouths 'because it's the internet'.

[quote="jono1994"]ok i really think that u should add on the Elves race but still keep the original format of the game and also put in Necromancy :D[/quote]

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

ClowN wrote:i just think derrick and staff already have their hands full with this server. to expect them to respond and possibly ban players for something as stupid as profanity when they are not even paid to run this server, is just asking to much. turn your profanity filters on, and quit complaining. its just UO.

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

ClowN wrote:
ClowN wrote:i just think derrick and staff already have their hands full with this server. to expect them to respond and possibly ban players for something as stupid as profanity when they are not even paid to run this server, is just asking to much. turn your profanity filters on, and quit complaining. its just UO.
Profanity Filters DON'T Work if ,
a) if the Profanity is the Players Name,
b) if the Profanity is the Players Pet Name,
c) if the Profanity is the Players Guild Name,

etc

not to mention that the Profanity Filther abscures Normal Words too. such as Massive, Grape, etc etc etc

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room