Archer bots (and other unattended killing) not era accurate.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Archer bots (and other unattended killing) not era accurate.

Post by Hemperor »

Staff have defined the rules before, any sort of gain other than stat or skill while afk is illegal.

Personally I would list someone's corpse full of loot as a gain.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Donk

Post by Donk »

An interesting argument, but it's based on a premise that is not true. The staff have specifically defined gathering resources while AFK as being illegal, not the vague concept of "gain".

When you farm a mountain, the mountain spawns additional resources into the game world every time you hit it with a shovel. The resources weren't in-game before, they are being generated. When you kill somebody nothing new is generated, the items are jsut shifting their position from his backpack to yours. That's why AFK mining is illegal and AFK skillgaining isn't.
<Zedd[afk> if theres ever a uosa convention and you pked me once ur getting ran over with a truck

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Donk wrote:An interesting argument, but it's based on a premise that is not true. The staff have specifically defined gathering resources while AFK as being illegal, not the vague concept of "gain".

When you farm a mountain, the mountain spawns additional resources into the game world every time you hit it with a shovel. The resources weren't in-game before, they are being generated. When you kill somebody nothing new is generated, the items are jsut shifting their position from his backpack to yours. That's why AFK mining is illegal and AFK skillgaining isn't.
You may be right, not sure where I would find the post though. Hopefully Derrick can clarify.

Regardless, I certainly hope we don't have to see 100 archer bots at a time before people take this seriously

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Using examples that are in violation of our present rules is not a justification for creating new rules.

You may not AFK loot corpses. Razor will not do that.

I've posted on this topic in other places in addition to here, in addition to speaking with players personally who think that roving bands of un-manned archer "bots" sounds like a good strategy. I do not think it's something that we need to fear, and because of that I am unable to focus on this speculation of future trouble at this time.

We could make a rule that people are not allowed to train monkeys to PvP for them, but it's not a rational concern, and I would not likely comment in a thread about that either.

The issue of unmanned archer bots that are stationary is a separate issue from what being discussed. Additionally, any stationary unmanned "turret bot" would be incredibly susceptible to a group of players intent on taking them out.

I don't know what to say about this topic really. But the exagerations of the threat really don't make a good case for this being a problem.

I'm not saying that we wouldn't deal with this if there were bands off 100 unmanned archer bots running around the shard, but if it was a viable strategy I would think there would be already.

I should add, that I agree with the Original Post. AFK Killing should not be allowed. However, it's my hope that the shear fultility of doing it will prevent it, and that we wont have to go around trying to police this type of thing.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."