Controlling Pets

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Artemis

Re: Controlling Pets

Post by Artemis »

Kaivan wrote:During T2A the maximum debuff was -10. The -11 debuff is something that came around during UOR when the equation for debufs was changed from:

Code: Select all

Magery / 10 = debuff level
To:

(Magery / 10) + 1 = debuff level
I am also aware that here on Second Age, we currently have debuff spells set to the latter equation, and it is an inaccuracy that is on the list of fixes to be made.

As for the magery skill of the various monsters, no one is disputing that they were capable of casting higher level spells, and that the tougher monsters did indeed cast some of the higher level spells somewhat more often. The major difference is that higher level creatures did not cast area of affect spells. Also, for future reference, dispel is the spell that casting monsters used, not mass dispel.
-/+11 debuff/buff came around UOR?
Its always been -/+11 for GM magery and GM magery only
-/+11 debuff/buff - Gm magery
-/+10 debuff/buff - 99.9-90.0 magery
-/+9 debuff/buff - 89.9-80.0 magery
-/+8 debuff/buff - 79.9-70.0 magery
-/+7 debuff/buff - 69.9-60.0 magery
-/+6 debuff/buff - 59.9-50.0 magery
-/+5 debuff/buff - 49.9-40.0 magery
-/+4 debuff/buff - 39.9-30.0 magery
-/+3 debuff/buff - 29.9-20.0 magery
-/+2 debuff/buff - 19.9-10.0 magery
-/+1 debuff/buff - 09.9-00.0 magery
If Im not mistaken stratics at once point had that chart some place for stat changing spells.
If an opponent hit you with a debuff the -11 stat was one way to tell for sure if a character you were fighting against had GM magery.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Artemis wrote:
Kaivan wrote:During T2A the maximum debuff was -10. The -11 debuff is something that came around during UOR when the equation for debufs was changed from:

Magery / 10 = debuff level
To:

(Magery / 10) + 1 = debuff level
I am also aware that here on Second Age, we currently have debuff spells set to the latter equation, and it is an inaccuracy that is on the list of fixes to be made.

As for the magery skill of the various monsters, no one is disputing that they were capable of casting higher level spells, and that the tougher monsters did indeed cast some of the higher level spells somewhat more often. The major difference is that higher level creatures did not cast area of affect spells. Also, for future reference, dispel is the spell that casting monsters used, not mass dispel.
-/+11 debuff/buff came around UOR?
Its always been -/+11 for GM magery and GM magery only
-/+11 debuff/buff - Gm magery
-/+10 debuff/buff - 99.9-90.0 magery
-/+9 debuff/buff - 89.9-80.0 magery
-/+8 debuff/buff - 79.9-70.0 magery
-/+7 debuff/buff - 69.9-60.0 magery
-/+6 debuff/buff - 59.9-50.0 magery
-/+5 debuff/buff - 49.9-40.0 magery
-/+4 debuff/buff - 39.9-30.0 magery
-/+3 debuff/buff - 29.9-20.0 magery
-/+2 debuff/buff - 19.9-10.0 magery
-/+1 debuff/buff - 09.9-00.0 magery
If Im not mistaken stratics at once point had that chart some place for stat changing spells.
If an opponent hit you with a debuff the -11 stat was one way to tell for sure if a character you were fighting against had GM magery.
Here is a link to the 1999 page that describes the equations used for resist, and gives the debuff chart. This particular page, unfortunately, does not get updated during the course of stratics history, but it does show that Magery/10 was the proper formula. This is the Spell Descriptions page from late T2A as well. The description for Weaken documents a maximum of 10 for the debuff effect. Finally, this is an archived version of the March 2000 UO Guide page (just before UOR came out). While the descriptions here for the debuff spells are somewhat more vauge, a special note about debuff spells being resistable is also made, which supports the first Stratics archives page.

This is a later archived version of the same Spell Descriptions page from during UOR. This page documents a maximum change of 11 for all 3 debuffs. This is an archived version of a late 2002 UO Guide page for first circle. Here, the equation of (Magery/10) + 1 is shown as the equation for debuff spells, and it also notes that the spells are unresistable. This clearly shows a change to debuff spells took place some time during UOR to make them unresistable and to add the +1 to the spells.

For anyone who played during the end of T2A and into UOR, and was faimilar the casting strength of creatures, you might be faimiliar with what I am talking about. During T2A, particular creatures always debuffed for a set amount (Liches for -7 or 8, Bone Magis and Air elementals for -6 or -7, and transparent specters and Fire/Water Elementals for -5 or -6 to name a few). GM Mages always debuffed for -10, and all magical clothing (agility, clumsy, etc) always changed your stats by +/- 6. During the early months of UOR, things quite mysteriously changed. Everything suddenly gained an extra point of stat modification. Everything. In the end, this became one of several undocumented changes to UO that took place during UOR that would have gone un-noticed without doing some research.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Artemis

Post by Artemis »

Thats why I couldnt play or recommend this shard, I know it was -/+11 for GM magery, and it was the entire time I played. Theres a lot of T2a-ness you will never be able to "document", only memory will serve the best as most documents of that time were off back then, so it makes no sense to use them now.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Well, I'm sorry to hear that the facts don't support your memory, however all the information available supports the Magery/10 equation, even the Prima T2A Guide. If you're going to let that get in the way of you playing here or reccommending this server to other people, then I'm also sorry to hear that as well, but this is a feature that has a wealth of external information to support the fact that it worked in this manner during T2A.

Dashiva

Post by Dashiva »

Artemis wrote:I might of also seen a white wrym mass curse. It was rare they did area effect though
It was not rare at all actucally. On live I always used two WWs, when most tamers considered them too dangerous. Quite often they would mass curse eachother, which would require a combination of [name1] stay [name2] follow me etc possibly using a gate to seperate the two.
Eventually I just picked up peacemaking, which made this much easier.
Korlan (Dexxer) | Dashiva (Tamer)
Dashiva from Napa Valley

Artemis

Post by Artemis »

The stat change for GM magery is just one of many inconsistencies which add up. Im just using this one as an example.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

There is information that supports that White Wyrms did indeed cast mass curse. While my statement is slightly inaccurate about the list of spells that monsters could cast, there are only specific situations where certain monsters are able to cast one or two extra spells (namely polymorph for a few very high end spellcasters, and mass curse for a White Wyrm), and listing them all is a time consuming process.
Artemis wrote:The stat change for GM magery is just one of many inconsistencies which add up. Im just using this one as an example.
There is more than enough evidence to support the change to debuffs. Memory is the last resort when implimenting something, and when that disagrees with the available information, the reliable information is used over player memory.

Hydroxide
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hydroxide »

so back to the topic...

will my bard ever be able to ride a nightmare and look "l33t"

??????