An evidenced look at proposed swing timer changes

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Derrick

Re: An evidenced look at proposed swing timer changes

Post by Derrick »

These are after the cut off, but there is no evidence to suggest anything changed between Feb and Dec 1999
There is also no question that you couldn't target with a weapon equiped.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Derrick wrote:There is also no question that you couldn't target with a weapon equiped.
This was never an issue and is not something I was pushing for.

The issue I am pushing for here is that there is ample evidence that equip-delay was bugged/not working properly/not functioning/essentially non-existant at the time of the cut-off date.

The quotes point to it- and if you can imagine what this would mean for PvP then it would make a very big difference.

It would mean you could: a) cast an exp/eb/hally combo (in that order) provided you could gauge how how long it was since your last swing; b) actually predict/control when your last/next swing will be (as people in other threads remember doing).

It would not hold the swing, but if you timed it right you could make it seem as if it was being held because you could get a swing every time - provided you timed it right.

I think a bugged equip-delay really is the golden ticket - if there was something affecting the equip-delay in the manner described in the quotes then the proposed combat changes (in their current form) would be as inaccurate as anything else before it.

I really think this is worth investigating because with the single stroke of your pen you could make PvP accurate and avoid what could prove to be a rather large mistake imo.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Mens Rea wrote:
Derrick wrote:There is also no question that you couldn't target with a weapon equiped.
This was never an issue and is not something I was pushing for.
I didn't think you were, I only noticed the remark in your quote.
Mens Rea wrote:The issue I am pushing for here is that there is ample evidence that equip-delay was bugged/not working properly/not functioning/essentially non-existant at the time of the cut-off date.

The quotes point to it- and if you can imagine what this would mean for PvP then it would make a very big difference.

It would mean you could: a) cast an exp/eb/hally combo (in that order) provided you could gauge how how long it was since your last swing; b) actually predict/control when your last/next swing will be (as people in other threads remember doing).

It would not hold the swing, but if you timed it right you could make it seem as if it was being held because you could get a swing every time - provided you timed it right.

I think a bugged equip-delay really is the golden ticket - if there was something affecting the equip-delay in the manner described in the quotes then the proposed combat changes (in their current form) would be as inaccurate as anything else before it.

I really think this is worth investigating because with the single stroke of your pen you could make PvP accurate and avoid what could prove to be a rather large mistake imo.
I am on board with this. The reports here, and by everyone do point to some amount of predictability in when a swing would be ready, although we are certain, due to the Apr 28 2000 UO:R patch, that they didn't actualy "hold", or stay ready indefinately.

The focus has been precisely on trying to figure out how to meet this expectation within the very narrow framework provided by the core OSI combat timer. There is presently another trial on test center which I believe may meet these goals using a very simple modification of the OSI system. I wish it was a simple stroke of the pen, however we know that the majority of the code we are looking at is active on OSI to this day, so we are certain the changes at this time were minor. It is essential that we meet the design constraint that the Insta-Hit patch in Jan '99 was a vey simple change, and not a rewrite of the combat timer.

Without getting into great detail, even in Pre-T2A there were some known "states" that a weapon would be in, for example with archery if you moved and/or equipped a bow you would always be starting at a known point as you readied to fire. In pre-T2A though it was difficult to know exactly when your melee weapon might swing.

I think we have a good proposal on test center at this time, based on the Jan 1999 patch notes and requiring only minimalist changes to the Pre-T2A combat timer.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Faust

Post by Faust »

Batlin and me set forth some goals when trying to modify the original timer to function with a proper insta hit.

February 2nd, 1999 - Insta Hit Patch
1. Make melee weapons deal the damage at the beginning of the swing - Very easy fix
2. Create a prep time when equipping weapons - Was not able to create a suitable mechanic for this that allowed a fully functioning insta hit system.

February 26th, 1999 - Arm/Disarm Exploit Patch
3. Recreate this exploit from the previous modifications for number one and two for the original swing timer - We never managed to recreate this exploit.
4. Discover the double hally exploit after all modifications were made - We never made it this far...

By producing positive results by following such a list there should be no doubt that you have a fully functioning and correct version of insta hit that existed in '99. However, getting from start to finish is by no means a piece of cake...