News and Announcements
Derrick

Re: Weapon Swing delays and Archery trial on Test Center

Post by Derrick »

Here are the wepon swing speeds:
http://www.uosecondage.com/stratics/arms.html
And here's how it's calculated:
http://www.uosecondage.com/stratics/combat.html

Attack Speed= 15,000 ÷ ( [Stamina +100] x Weapon Speed )

Bow is 20 speed so @:
100 dex you fire every 3.75 secs
25 Dex, every 6 seconds

Heavy is speed 10, so the speeds are double that of a bow.

Remember also, the archery swing only starts over on equip if you don't have a swing ready.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I don't quite understand what you're trying to point out alatar, however besides whatever you're trying to say I've found the patch and it was extremely ambiguous.
Publish 33 Additions, Changes, and Fixes Jun 16 2005 1:49PM CST
Changes
Addressed an issue with followers being lost at logout.
When a player logs out, followers (pets, hired NPCs) will be auto-stabled, returning to the player upon login.
Pets that do not automatically return to the player can be claimed at the stable master.
Arrows that miss their target will now be recovered automatically, rather than dropping to the ground behind a mob.
Shortly after dropping out of war mode, any recoverable arrows will be placed in the player's backpack.

Treasures of Tokuno event has ended
Players no longer accumulate points towards Treasures of Tokuno rewards when defeating enemies.
Ihara Soka will still be around to reward players for turning in artifacts.
The help screen has been updated.
Links to the UO homepage have been updated.
Only new players will have the option of teleporting to Haven.
New players are given the option to page a counselor. (Japan Only)
Everyone will see the other -> other petition options
The login error screen has been updated to include more information about why the error occurred
Purchasing an advanced character is now handled through an automated process.
After reading this patch note a person would simply ask me "what the hell is this? that has nothing to do with auto defend". However, after doing some research here is discussion involved with this topic based on this patch. This patch revamped war mode to please archers for some reason.

Here is an article roasting publish 33's changes.
>Arrows that miss their target will now be recovered automatically, rather than dropping to the ground behind a mob.

So you run behind the mob, grab the arrow, and run back really, really
fast. This makes no sense and unbalances archery again.
>
>Shortly after dropping out of war mode, any recoverable arrows will be placed in the player's backpack.

See above.

>Players in peace mode no longer auto defend against attacking mobs or players.
> To prevent archers from wasting ammo

And if I lag out and am attacked by a mongbat, my Glorious Lord
Grandmaster Swordsman gets wasted. Yeah, right.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/49633-13-publish-good
Here is a second discussion on a gaming message board about the same publish.
I got into a fight with three orcs the other day. I killed one and
waited for my character to take on the next one in l,ine. Used to be
he would just chop right on down the line attacking the next one that
swung on him. But no this time. I had to pull down the gump of each
and every one of the critters and physically double click on it to get
my guy to hit them.

http://www.igamealot.com/archive/index.php/t-63985.html
There is a lot more but this is enough to wrap this topic up. The only thing that surprised me was that this was fixed a lot later than I would have ever expected.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

The auto-defend information coincides with the tactics that I used on OSI against players on my PvP thief. On many occasions I would steal an essential reg from a combatant while fighting in the vicinity of a bank. They would attempt to restock, and I would prevent them from doing so by moving to either side of the character and constantly double clicking them. This forced them to turn and auto defend because I was actively initiating another attack (different from the auto-swing mind you), and in turn forced the player to close their bank box. This was a viable tactic all the way until I quit UO with the introduction of AoS (aka "Publish 17" in terms of their numbering schemes).

platy

Post by platy »

thats funny Kavian.. because the autodefend does NOT coincide with the method I used to gain magic resist on OSI..
I would attack a lich and have my friend heal me.. with another char literally ebolting me.
I'd tab out and that was the end of their flagging to me.. even the lich who spammed shit spells on me.
this is incredibly weird and I don't remember it, even remotely.. holding instahits was a tactic amirit?
:flushes the toilet:

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Maybe I'm a little confused here, but the current autodefend is only for melee attacks, i.e. dbl-clicking on the creature. Your friend wouldn't have triggered this by casting spells on you, but the lich should have grabbed your focus, but if this lich wasn't adjacent to you it wouldn't have mattered.
:calls the plumber:
Last edited by Derrick on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling

bOmb

Post by bOmb »

So lets say you have a swing ready, equip a bow, it instashoots. Then you wait 5 seconds instead of 6 with

the bow UNequipped, if you put the bow back on before the 6 second swing time, you have to wait

another 6 seconds making it a total of 11 seconds? Is this correct? I know the formulas and everything

have been changed but it doesnt make archery any better, especially with the agression issues.

Get that plumbing fixed asap! Hehe.

platy

Post by platy »

Kaivan wrote:The auto-defend information coincides with the tactics that I used on OSI against players on my PvP thief. On many occasions I would steal an essential reg from a combatant while fighting in the vicinity of a bank. They would attempt to restock, and I would prevent them from doing so by moving to either side of the character and constantly double clicking them. This forced them to turn and auto defend because I was actively initiating another attack (different from the auto-swing mind you), and in turn forced the player to close their bank box. This was a viable tactic all the way until I quit UO with the introduction of AoS (aka "Publish 17" in terms of their numbering schemes).
ALSO, this isn't how it worked (i'm pretty sure).. when you attack someone, you face them.. regardless if your tabbed or not: so while you were thinking they were moving because you "dbl" clicked them, and re-attacked.. it's not the case: they were looking towards you because they were once in combat with you and they should continue to face you until a period of time was up- regardless of how many times you "dbl clicked" them..

This has been going on here at UOSA forever, and has been happening in EVERY shard i've ever played.. it's just simple game mechanics I beleive.. you face combatants.. has nothing to do with re-attacking them-- test it out: you'll see

platy

Post by platy »

Derrick wrote:Maybe I'm a little confused here, but the current autodefend is only for melee attacks, i.e. dbl-clicking on the creature. Your friend wouldn't have triggered this by casting spells on you, but the lich should have grabbed your focus, but if this lich wasn't adjacent to you it wouldn't have mattered.
:calls the plumber:
why would it matter if he's adjacent? LOS issue? this whole thing just makes no sense to me.. (i literally feel like your trying to ruin PVP heh...)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

bOmb wrote:So lets say you have a swing ready, equip a bow, it instashoots. Then you wait 5 seconds instead of 6 with

the bow UNequipped, if you put the bow back on before the 6 second swing time, you have to wait

another 6 seconds making it a total of 11 seconds? Is this correct? I know the formulas and everything

have been changed but it doesnt make archery any better, especially with the agression issues.

Get that plumbing fixed asap! Hehe.
This is the was the system works currently. The changes that are exclusive to bows in this patch are that if you are running with a bow, you will gain time towrds your next swing.

The changes that effect all weapons in this patch is that you next swing is determined my your weapon, currently in hand, not your weapon last swung.

Wrestling does count as a weapon, and now will have a fixed swing time of 3.0 seconds.

Faust

Post by Faust »

You guys are not understanding this. There are essentially TWO types of "auto defend" the intitial phase where you are attacked meaning any form of an offense where you would auto defend when you haven't fought this specific opponent in the last few minutes. Now when that person tabs out the ONLY way that person tabbed out will auto defend again is when they are physically attacked I.E. double left clicked while the oponent is in war mode or using an attack last macro. This would be considered a second phase auto defend with this particular player until the combat phase has elapsed after a few minutes. If your opponent hits you with a weapon, casts a spell on you, or anything else besides physically double left clicking the mouse in war mode or using an attack last macro will not make the second phase auto defend trigger. A second phase auto defend will make the person "turn towards" you which is a movement event that I believe would force your bank box to close.

platy

Post by platy »

I guess I have one more question then..
If a dexer runs around with Attack Last macro JAMMED down, he will then in effect remove instahits from his opponent right?

Faust

Post by Faust »

Yes, platy IF he forces you to swing. If this will "ruin" pvp than I guess t2a pvp must have been bad, because this in fact did exist in UO from '97-'03.

There is a reason that t2a is considered the best era for pvp in UO...

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

platy wrote:I guess I have one more question then..
If a dexer runs around with Attack Last macro JAMMED down, he will then in effect remove instahits from his opponent right?
You will want to avoid allowing someone to cause you to wrestle when you are unarmed, but no it won't effect your weapon swing timer in any way unless you actually swing.

platy

Post by platy »

Faust wrote:Yes, platy if he forces you to swing. If this will "ruin" pvp than I guess t2a pvp must have been bad, because this in fact existed during this era... T2A isn't called the best era for pvp for nothing.
this actually made me LOL irl..
this is a well thought out patch..
..any way you could point me to the patch notes?
or did you only get this from playing the demo?

SO if i'm fighting a dexer holding down attacklast i need to press tab every .1 seconds just to keep my swing timer?

Faust

Post by Faust »

Did you read the first half of this thread? Do you realize the demo uses the SAME files that EA used for its code? Did you know auto defend is mentioned in UOHOC chat in '98? Did you know that auto defend is also mentioned in the t2a playguide? The discussion on auto defend should have ended when I posted the patch notes for it's revamp in '03.

Return to “Shard News”