Tanks on Nightmares.. WTH?!?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Tanks on Nightmares.. WTH?!?

Post by Kaivan »

Rhis wrote:Then why did Faust say this?
The minimum value that is required to tame the creature doesn't drop but the difficulty in fact does(to prevent retaming the same creature over and over to macro skill gains) as Derrick stated previoulsy. This is the main reason non-tamers cannot retame a pet that abandoned them.
I clearly remember people who didn't feed their horses after buying them being unable to retame them. It seems like having zero difficulty just means that the animal will always tame on the first try, which goes along exactly with how I remember it. These guys run the shard, right, so surely they know what the code means.

Edit: I guess you do too, so why don't these posts agree.
Regarding Faust, he is not a staff member on UOSA.

As to his statement, I don't know exactly where he came up with that information as the demo plainly states that a released animal has its taming difficulty set to 0. This is confirmed in multiple other locations as well.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Rhis

Post by Rhis »

Kaivan wrote:
Rhis wrote:Regarding Faust, he is not a staff member on UOSA.

As to his statement, I don't know exactly where he came up with that information as the demo plainly states that a released animal has its taming difficulty set to 0. This is confirmed in multiple other locations as well.
Please provide these other locations if you wouldn't mind. I'm still not convinced difficulty is equal to minimum taming skill... based on the evidence you have shown so far I would hardly call it clear cut. I'd like to hear from Derrick regarding the source of his original statement. It seems to me that you guys had this correct originally.

McSchnurke

Post by McSchnurke »

Kaivan wrote: Regarding Faust, he is not a staff member on UOSA.
Can you say this louder? Perhaps in the SotR thread?
Rhis wrote:
McSchnurke wrote:I see you're new here, Rhis, so I'll explain the issue.

Regardless of what you have experienced here on UOSA or on OSI, in era, or what the GMs say or what the gods honest truth is, Faust is always right. Don't question it.
I'm agreeing with Faust's post on this one, lol!
I agree frequently as well. . . :cry:

Perhaps the better advice would be don't look for all that you remember but rather enjoy UOSA for being damn good anyway.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Rhis wrote:
Kaivan wrote:
Rhis wrote:Regarding Faust, he is not a staff member on UOSA.

Please provide these other locations if you wouldn't mind. I'm still not convinced difficulty is equal to minimum taming skill. I'd like to hear from Derrick regarding the source of his original statement. It seems to me that you guys had this correct originally.
The three different sources I originally provided all point to exactly the same thing. The demo has it directly in the code. The early T2A tamer profession archive page plainly says it as well as the new one. Even the taming archive, a website dedicated to taming, notes the change as of the January 24th patch and the exact loophole that is described by the two stratics pages and apparent in the demo code. At this point, this is entirely an open and shut case for this function, and it needs no further discussion. All of the sources say the exact same thing.
McSchnurke wrote:
Can you say this louder? Perhaps in the SotR thread?
The fact that he doesn't have a tag that says "Second Age Staff" on his forum avatar should be indication enough.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Yeah, I don't think the retameability is an issue at all. Though I think the spawn rates are.

Though I can't help but wonder, if the way the spawns work is like the page I quoted...then in theory couldn't a tamer have tamed every dragon in destard and gated them to another dungeon (since i think all dungeons were contained on one server) at which point destard would have been empty? Well, except for drakes I suppose.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

I made a big thread about the re-taming thing but I can't find it. It is accurate and was put in shortly before the changes to loyalty checks on certain commands - I would presume these changes included the friendship command in T2A but were perhaps overlooked on UOSA.

Thing is, if you retamed a dragon or nightmare with 0 taming then you had to feed it every bloody 5 minutes otherwise it would go wild. Animals take longer to get angry and go wild on here. What ever happened to nightmares bucking you off and going crazy?

Did the friendship command require a loyalty check in T2A?

HI IM MIKE

Post by HI IM MIKE »

thank god at least one staff member has some sense. faust is a moron.
nightshark wrote:I can't comment on going out looking for fights for the sake of fights in the field because it's never been something I've been interested in.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Faust is not a moron, you are a dick.

Sum_Mors

Post by Sum_Mors »

Having known Faust pre-UOSA, I'm not one to readily agree with him. However if you read the post carefully, it talks of having trouble re-taming an animal that has abandoned the owner. Presumably from neglect/non-feeding.

Releasing =/= Abandonment?

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

spawn blocking as has been said many times worked due to server lines / sub servers which we don't have...........
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Sum_Mors wrote:Releasing =/= Abandonment?
This is correct.

Also, at some point or another they also became harder to tame and control if they went buck wild.

Quin the Wretch
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Quin the Wretch »

dont know site but it seeems about right

http://www.uoguide.com/Publish_2

Pets will remember who their previous owners were. Previous owners are defined as anyone who tames the pet or has the pet transferred to them.

The more previous owners a pet has had, the more difficult it will be for other players to tame it if it goes wild. This also means that players who were not a previous owner to the pet can tame the pet for skill gain.
Any previous owner may retame the pet regardless of their skill.

Pets that go wild will become more difficult to control. This change will affect both previous and new owners.
"I really need to increase my knowledgment" -anonymous

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Quin the Wretch wrote:dont know site but it seeems about right

http://www.uoguide.com/Publish_2

Pets will remember who their previous owners were. Previous owners are defined as anyone who tames the pet or has the pet transferred to them.

The more previous owners a pet has had, the more difficult it will be for other players to tame it if it goes wild. This also means that players who were not a previous owner to the pet can tame the pet for skill gain.
Any previous owner may retame the pet regardless of their skill.

Pets that go wild will become more difficult to control. This change will affect both previous and new owners.

"The following is a list of changes deployed as Publish 2 on January 24, 2000"
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

I agree Faust is hella dumb.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!