Do something about this autotabbing bullshit

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Re: Do something about this autotabbing bullshit

Post by Faust »

Jaster wrote: insta hit every 4.5 seconds witha hally instead of every 2

Here it is mentioned in this PVP tutorial at UO Powergamers written in early '00 a little after pre casting was removed describing the bug where you could skip the combat delay. People commonly associated this with casting, because after finishing your casting sequence with a six circle spell your combat delay would be skipped.
UO Powergames PVP Guide:

Use the instant-hit with your weapon whenever possible (instant-hit= where you arm your weapon right after you cast a spell on your opponent---with pre-casting gone remember to target first!!!---then run up to your opponent with weapon in hand. This is a bug that lets you get a free hit off, with no delay. So use it while you still can.).

Reference: http://web.archive.org/web/200107221249 ... actics.asp

Here is an actual duel that existed in '99 with a real time displayed through the UO journal that was generously added. That proves you could in fact hally, ebolt, hally, ebolt.
Nighthawk wrote: 5> Hally, Ebolt, Hally, Ebolt (as he tries to heal)

Reference: http://www.wtfman.com/oldjov/stories/nhawk19.htm
If you follow this duel very carefully you can tell exactly what happened by the prepped ebolts and when the hally refreshes occurred. Giving the fact that ebolt takes 1.75s to cast, and a hally delay is 4.95s long at 25 stamina, there is absolutely no way Sysic could have died in a matter of 10 secs like this if it didn't override the current hally delay.

Here is another mention of the bug in a UOHOC.
- February 3rd, 2000 - UOHOC Discussion - wrote: Glamdring - *Aegean_LS* Is anything planned for the insta-hally hit? Is it supposed to skipp the delay?
Sage - Yes. We are currently looking at the insta-hally hit, and considering its removal.

I will not go into the reasoning behind the mechanic, because of developmental reasons. This was a very unintentional feature that existed based on how the weapon mechanics worked during the era. It is very easy to understand once you in fact know how it worked mechanical wise.

I dislike having to disclose my sources so that other people can steal it for other shards. It would be nice if most players would just accept the fact that we know what were doing so we don't have to continue to disclose them for other people to steal.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

jesus ur like a team of high priced researchign para legals except for uo stuff..
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Faust

Post by Faust »

You should see my folder that contains my information for scripting. I have so many text documents, pictures, resources, formulas, leaked information, and just about anything you could possibly think of related to shard development for a t2a server. I've been gathering this information since I started all of this almost a decade ago. I honestly don't even know what all is there anymore for certain. :wink:

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

thank you to the explanation. The differnce between that and what is going on here is that people aren't casting spells then insta hittnig. They are merely unequiping tabbing then reequiping and getting an insta hit I've and over. It's basically the same mechanic but being used at like a 5 to 1 ratio (hally to spell) instead of closer to 1 to 1. That isn't something you can change unless you change the way weapons reload. I'm not sayingyou should hangs it. But that's why their are complaints

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

your sayin i can unequip a hally, tab out then equip for an insta hit right away?

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

on a side note, I tested hally swing timers on uosa.

4.5s while equipped from swing to swing
3s when disarmed then reequipping

If it's suppose to be 4.95s that's a problem right there

Sorry for he terribleegrammar and spellin mistakes. I'm at working sending this via iPhone

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i think it defaults to the wreslting timer

Faust

Post by Faust »

Jaster wrote:thank you to the explanation. The differnce between that and what is going on here is that people aren't casting spells then insta hittnig. They are merely unequiping tabbing then reequiping and getting an insta hit I've and over. It's basically the same mechanic but being used at like a 5 to 1 ratio (hally to spell) instead of closer to 1 to 1. That isn't something you can change unless you change the way weapons reload. I'm not sayingyou should hangs it. But that's why their are complaints
It didn't go by casting though. You can do this without casting. However, it takes the same amount of time as it would if you were casting. Would you please give me more information by what you mean with your comment above? Does this happen soon as you tab out and equip, or are they waiting the time that it is suppose to take for it to refresh?

On my side note, this is why auto attack is necessary to counter act a refresh. People during this era would run up and make you wrestle when you attempted to refresh your swing. If you stick to your opponent making them wrestle they will not be able to use the method that skips the weapon delay. The reason people used casting for this was to have a prepped spell ready after the weapon delay reset for extra damage from the prepped spell. This is why hallies were used so much during this era. It was necessary to use a hally more than a spell, because you could get the damage off that a spell could do in the same amount of time without the consumption of mana. Add a combo or two to that and you kill your opponenet.

Jaster wrote:on a side note, I tested hally swing timers on uosa.

4.5s while equipped from swing to swing
3s when disarmed then reequipping

If it's suppose to be 4.95s that's a problem right there

Sorry for he terribleegrammar and spellin mistakes. I'm at working sending this via iPhone
Debugging through human perception isn't the best way for something like this. I debug through the program to generate my results for a precise return. A halberd swing is exactly 4.8s at 25 stamina. I made a mistake on the amount. It has been awhile since I last did it. I always associated a hally delay with a mili second from 5 seconds at 25 stamina. Here is the formula for the attack speed below.

Code: Select all

Attack Speed= 15,000 ÷ ( [Stamina +100] x Weapon Speed ) 
Halberd - 25 Weapon Speed
BlackFoot wrote:i think it defaults to the wreslting timer
:wink:

blister

Post by blister »

Glad to know this is how it works here. My friend left divinity because this weapon timing was all wrong over there.

Now my question is: Where is my double EB? ;)

You know when you could pull off this 2nd EB about as fast as you would cast a lvl.. 4 maybe

Good memories

platy

Post by platy »

blister your mind is poisoned by divinity.. no offense
fastcasting on that shard is rediculous..
was not the case on OSI, fast cast is to remove time between spells cast, not lower amount of time a spell takes to cast i beleive.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Fast cast works like this. When you cast a spell there is a slight recast delay applied to it. If you try casting again you have to wait until that recast delay subsides to begin casting. If you wait for the delay to reside you can actually cast the second spell faster unlike if you tried casting it right after the other previously.

Example:
Energy Bolt - 1.75s delay
Recast Delay - 0.5s delay

Now take a look at an example of casting and fast casting below.

Casting:
If you cast an energy bolt followed up with targetting it and casted another doing the same exact mechanic you have to wait for that recast delay. There will be an extra delay in damage by 0.5s if you do not fast cast it.

Fast Casting:
If you cast an energy bolt followed up with prepping it waiting for the recast delay to subside and than targetted it with a follow up ebolt you can do damage 0.5s faster compared to the previous method. This of course comes with both an advantage and disadvantage. You must wait for the recast delay to subside meaning longer time in overall damage, but you can produce a better burst damage through this method unlike if you were casting it back to back.

This is another reason some people can't get the explosion ebolt to go off at the same time. If they wait for the recast delay after explosion they can hit them both at the same time. If you don't wait than the ebolt will hit second. This is method of course is completely visual. We all know ebolt has a damage delay and explosion does not when it hits. So the actuall damage on an ebolt never hits at the same time or before the actual damage explosion, but visually it is possible.

platy

Post by platy »

Nice description Faust, I went on Divinity and tried their famous "second ebolt" and as far as I know, you can only disrupt a fast-casted ebolt with a harm or IPY on that shard.. seemed VERY unreal to me.. couldn't believe it was like that or that the dev's would not fix it

Mazer

Post by Mazer »

platy wrote:Nice description Faust, I went on Divinity and tried their famous "second ebolt" and as far as I know, you can only disrupt a fast-casted ebolt with a harm or IPY on that shard.. seemed VERY unreal to me.. couldn't believe it was like that or that the dev's would not fix it
Divinity has never been about accuracy.

platy

Post by platy »

Fair enough.. i'll take your word for it, your are a mod over there yes?

blister

Post by blister »

I have barely played on Divinity. I remember the guy I was running with named Emped on Catskills doing double EB like no one else could for some reason, they would come out so fast it wasn't funny.