End of the Road Brick House [SOLD]

Buying/Selling Housing

Moderator: Trade Moderators

Elk Eater
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: End of the Road Brick House [SOLD]

Post by Elk Eater »

I made a private offer of 500k yesterday to buyout the house which Vega accepted (and then set the sale to pending). Before we had a chance to exchange the gold and house he accepted another private offer from another buyer.

I only mention this because I have read in a few places elsewhere that Vega is a trustworthy trader, which turned out not to be true in my case.
Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:I should have never defended you, turns out your exactly how the guild described you.. SCUM.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Elk Eater wrote:I made a private offer of 500k yesterday to buyout the house which Vega accepted (and then set the sale to pending). Before we had a chance to exchange the gold and house he accepted another private offer from another buyer.

I only mention this because I have read in a few places elsewhere that Vega is a trustworthy trader, which turned out not to be true in my case.

Isnt it legal to do that though? I was under the assumption that if an auction ends, and you take any bids after that time, then thats considered a jerk move. But if a buyout has been bid and the seller pends the sale, and say someone offers him more or whatever, then technically isnt that just good business? not being smart at all, I really am curious if/why this is frowned upon. If I was offered a buyout, but it wasnt sold yet, and another person offered me more (or items i wanted or whatever the case) then I cant lie, I would take the other buyout/higher buyout too. Plus, just cause that happened doesnt mean hes not a trustworthy guy.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

Without assuming any facts in this case with respect to either party (and my dealings with Vega have all been good), in general if you accept an offer from someone, you should honor the offer. A deal's a deal. Like in real life.

I once made a deal to purchase a house, and consequently took all the stuff out of my current house (a considerable effort), and demolished that house for the deed. THEN the seller said sorry, he sold it to a higher bidder. AFTER the auction had concluded. I viewed that as unethical. Luckily I was able to re-place the house I'd demolished. Otherwise I'd have been really pissed.

But hey it's UOSA, what can you do?

Elk Eater
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Elk Eater »

Menkaure wrote:
Elk Eater wrote:I made a private offer of 500k yesterday to buyout the house which Vega accepted (and then set the sale to pending). Before we had a chance to exchange the gold and house he accepted another private offer from another buyer.

Isnt it legal to do that though? I was under the assumption that if an auction ends, and you take any bids after that time, then thats considered a jerk move. But if a buyout has been bid and the seller pends the sale, and say someone offers him more or whatever, then technically isnt that just good business? not being smart at all, I really am curious if/why this is frowned upon. If I was offered a buyout, but it wasnt sold yet, and another person offered me more (or items i wanted or whatever the case) then I cant lie, I would take the other buyout/higher buyout too. Plus, just cause that happened doesnt mean hes not a trustworthy guy.
I'm not saying he did anything "illegal." He accepted the offer I made, then got a better offer and accepted that one instead. It's a matter of principle and trust.
Last edited by Elk Eater on Thu May 02, 2013 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:I should have never defended you, turns out your exactly how the guild described you.. SCUM.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Elk Eater wrote:
Menkaure wrote:

I'm not saying he did anything "illegal." He accepted the offer I made, then got a better offer and accepted that one instead. It's a matter of principal and trust.

I understand what you and Budner are both saying.
By the way, and again not being smart here, principal (pal at the end) is the person who runs the school. Principle, is the word you were looking for here. I only know this because, (and this is why Im posting this), my mom always used to teach me when I was young that the school princiPAL is your friend, hes your PAL. :)
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

I indeed accepted his offer for 500k. Someone then offered me 600k by Saturday. I told them no. Someone offered me 576k in PM, I again declined. However, the current offer was well over 200k above Elk Eater's offer, and while in all honesty there was nothing to keep me from selling to Elk Eater, not taking a 700k+ offer (above my buyout) would be plain stupid. You can neg me if you'd like, I won't take offense to it. I understand that it wasn't an entirely ethical decision.

Menkaure, you are right as well. The sale was pending, I hadn't confirmed sale to him. In fact, he asked me to put a note of sale ON this thread, which I declined. I told him I'd put it as pending, well knowing I'd be fully obligated had I listed it as sold to him.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Elk Eater
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Elk Eater »

Vega wrote:I understand that it wasn't an entirely ethical decision.
I rest my case.

Emforcer92

Post by Emforcer92 »

Budner wrote: in general if you accept an offer from someone, you should honor the offer. A deal's a deal. Like in real life.
Sengo Muramasa 千子 村正 Armory at Trinny Stone Vendors!
GM Armor (many Colors), GM Weapons, GM Bows, Arrows/Bolts

Click>Trinny Stone Vendors
@ Trinsic Moongate

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Emforcer92 wrote:
Budner wrote: in general if you accept an offer from someone, you should honor the offer. A deal's a deal. Like in real life.
I think that's the most inapplicable quote actually. In real life you screw over anyone in business to get the most bang for the buck.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

Not if you want to build a sustainable business!

Emforcer92

Post by Emforcer92 »

Vega wrote:
Emforcer92 wrote:
I think that's the most inapplicable quote actually. In real life you screw over anyone in business to get the most bang for the buck.
Fortunately it's very applicable ... believe it or not.
Sengo Muramasa 千子 村正 Armory at Trinny Stone Vendors!
GM Armor (many Colors), GM Weapons, GM Bows, Arrows/Bolts

Click>Trinny Stone Vendors
@ Trinsic Moongate

Sargaza

Post by Sargaza »

The Core [PEE] owns the house. It was in our town (Red Skull Bay), surrounded by our other houses, so actually it went to the appropriate guild. If there is any house selling practice that should be followed by our community, it's that the guilds/players in the area should have first dibs on houses in their player towns. Just a thought...

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

^ Okay that's the reason I took the higher offer (and I love the person I sold it to)

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

Skum wrote:The Core [PEE] owns the house. It was in our town (Red Skull Bay), surrounded by our other houses, so actually it went to the appropriate guild. If there is any house selling practice that should be followed by our community, it's that the guilds/players in the area should have first dibs on houses in their player towns. Just a thought...
Disagree that anyone should have first dibs. If a player town or guild wants a property, they need to control their own destiny and make sure they bid enough (as they did in this case).

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Budner wrote:Not if you want to build a sustainable business!

Gotta agree with Vega on this one. In real life, people do whatever it takes to squeeze the most money for profit. Good business ethics or not. Heck, the most popular companies in America are the biggest rip offs. Look at Starbucks, $5 for a coffee? Lol. Walmart might be cheap, but hey, lets buy stuff from a store that eats other stores business and pays chinese laborers 10 cents a day to work. But, those business are successful, unfortunately. Ok, /rant over. Sorry.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish