A Solution to the AFK mining that is crippling our economy.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: A Solution to the AFK mining that is crippling our economy.

Post by Daolin »

ohnoes! somebody crapped and farmed 50 ingots!

Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Mining is the only thing i have really done since starting up and selling ingots legit (not running any prescripted macro's), and thats the way UO should be. It is pretty retarded if you think that watching "I'm not about to stare at my character non-stop like a hawk just because a 10 second timer can come up and flag my account. Its not easy to mine for hours if you really are attending. It can become a real pain because you can't get too involved with anything else.". Come on, then don't mine, go do something else.

venox

Post by venox »

agree,
i feel for mining each player should have to press at least 1 key between each ore vein.

venox

Post by venox »

50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus
50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus 50 ingots plus

it all adds up.

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

I think then that ALL crafting should be non-automated and give pop ups just the same. This would separate those who want to craft and those who are trying to be self-sufficient and isolated. Crafting generates cash the same way as collecting resources. All you have to do is buy the materials, set your crafting macro, and you can even make a macro to put things on the vendor and price them. All automated, all cash generated. In fact, that is perfectly legal to do afk even now. Lets just make sure we are hitting the whole problem.

While we are at it, barding is just too easy for making cash. You can make a bard in like 2 minutes that can go out and prov anything you need for instant easy cash. This needs to be addressed. It is too easy. It pumps cash into the economy and inflates, where resource collection at least just moves cash around.

I think just comes down to certain people being picky about what they like making cash. If people are truly afk mining, then there should be bans. No question. I'm not talking about the "let me run and snag a beer from the fridge" sort of afk. I'm talking about the staying up late and letting it run for an hour while you watch a show in the other room. There is a big difference between those two people.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Daolin wrote:I think then that ALL crafting should be non-automated and give pop ups just the same. This would separate those who want to craft and those who are trying to be self-sufficient and isolated. Crafting generates cash the same way as collecting resources. All you have to do is buy the materials, set your crafting macro, and you can even make a macro to put things on the vendor and price them. All automated, all cash generated. In fact, that is perfectly legal to do afk even now. Lets just make sure we are hitting the whole problem.

While we are at it, barding is just too easy for making cash. You can make a bard in like 2 minutes that can go out and prov anything you need for instant easy cash. This needs to be addressed. It is too easy. It pumps cash into the economy and inflates, where resource collection at least just moves cash around.

I think just comes down to certain people being picky about what they like making cash. If people are truly afk mining, then there should be bans. No question. I'm not talking about the "let me run and snag a beer from the fridge" sort of afk. I'm talking about the staying up late and letting it run for an hour while you watch a show in the other room. There is a big difference between those two people.

Macroing skills for gain without the gathering of resources is at the very least, creating characters that can go out into the world and farm. Creating more player interaction for you, me, and pk's. Macroing item crafting is completely fine, but in doing so, you are limited by your resources. With ingots being worth nothing, blacksmithing has become a joke too. Logs are not worth selling (see npc's prices), cloth is the same way, and leather is a pain to gather and extremely hard to macro. Mining is the problem, and always has been (even on osi).

If you truly are "attended-mining" Daolin/Marfu, then you should have no problem with this because it will increase the cost of ingots, yielding you more profits.

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

There is not limited supplies. Vendors still sell resources and would be worth the time if resource prices went back up.

There is no "if" about me attending my macros. I definitely want unattended miners stopped, because it does hurt my business. I only have reason to support this. I just want to emphasize that these are people that are away from their computer or unattending for extended periods of time. If I look away for 10 seconds to check the forums, it shouldn't cause me to get a quick 3 second check and get banned. Thats all i'm saying. Whatever check that is in place shouldn't be about catching people for 5 seconds here, or 15 seconds there. It needs to target people that are truly away and have no intention of attending their macro.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Daolin wrote:There is not limited supplies. Vendors still sell resources and would be worth the time if resource prices went back up.

There is no "if" about me attending my macros. I definitely want unattended miners stopped, because it does hurt my business. I only have reason to support this. I just want to emphasize that these are people that are away from their computer or unattending for extended periods of time. If I look away for 10 seconds to check the forums, it shouldn't cause me to get a quick 3 second check and get banned. Thats all i'm saying. Whatever check that is in place shouldn't be about catching people for 5 seconds here, or 15 seconds there. It needs to target people that are truly away and have no intention of attending their macro.
I was thinking more along the lines of 10 minutes, but that is why I put X and Y time in the main post, because it would be something that needs consideration.

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

That would be great then! Lets get this rolling!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Just some info on what the magnitude of this problem is.
Currently there are four people mining on the shard, one manually, 3 with razor, two in boats.
All attended. We reguarly check people and also get reports of people unattended macroing.
When we find unattended macroers we usually clean them out of any resources that they are even loosely associated with. Repeated violations are an account ban.

We've had very little trouble, comparatively to the number of players we have, with violation of this policy. We take it very seriously, and although people may get away with it for short peiods of time it usually will catch up with them in the end.

Putting up gumps requiring people to respond is a burden on the majority of players who just play normally, and additionally I feel significantly detracts from the game.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Derrick wrote:
Putting up gumps requiring people to respond is a burden on the majority of players who just play normally, and additionally I feel significantly detracts from the game.
That reminds me of early implementations of copyright control. I know that Civilization I use to ask you questions about the owners manual at random times and it was very annoying.

http://www.civilization.com/

Senses

Post by Senses »

Derrick wrote:Just some info on what the magnitude of this problem is.
Currently there are four people mining on the shard, one manually, 3 with razor, two in boats.
All attended. We reguarly check people and also get reports of people unattended macroing.
When we find unattended macroers we usually clean them out of any resources that they are even loosely associated with. Repeated violations are an account ban.

We've had very little trouble, comparatively to the number of players we have, with violation of this policy. We take it very seriously, and although people may get away with it for short peiods of time it usually will catch up with them in the end.

This is where my point came in back on page 1. People assume the influx of cheap ingots is so ridiculous that it must be people afk mining. My point is that the system is of allowing a person the ability, if they want to, to play the game while simultaneously macro mining, regardless of whether or not he can say Hey whatsup every 5 minutes is the problem. You aren't going to make ingots more expensive by killing miners or adding gumps.

Waldo

Post by Waldo »

Mining/lumberjacking are pretty dull task please dont add annoying gumps. If there afk report them get them banned dont change them game to effect the legit rule abiding players also