Please don't remove guild chat, here's why.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Please don't remove guild chat, here's why.

Post by nightshark »

Astinus wrote:
Rammar wrote:
Derrick wrote:Party is coming out. Guild is on the fence for now.
I fail to see how one merits salvation (however brief) and the other does not. If guild-chat is kept, party-chat should be as well. I do agree, however, that the additional party features should be gutted.
I see no problem drawing a distinction. A guild is a system which was in place throughout T2A, and the guild chat is merely an interface allowing quick communication between an already existing system. Party chat involves creating a new mechanic which was NOT in place in T2A; being able to create your own party and chat just to those people is a gameplay mechanic not available in T2A. If all that's true, I agree that party probably has to go, as that seems to alter gameplay. I don't think the minor convenience of party chat justifies implementing a completely new gameplay mechanic from what the T2A-era had.

Guild chat, however, is more convenient and much less of a change.
for those who tl;dr

"guild chat: not era accurate, but convenient"
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Faust

Post by Faust »

Astinus wrote: Guild chat, however, is more convenient and much less of a change.
Guild chat is also where all the exploits take place.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

Inconvienince should be taken off the table as a reason to keep inaccurate stuff. Cutting bandages? Checks? etc all should be kept in game cause they are convenient?
Last edited by BlackFoot on Thu May 27, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Faust

Post by Faust »

People don't realize convienince is one huge factor that killed this game.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

BlackFoot wrote:Inconvienince should be taken off the table as a reason to inaccurate stuff. Cutting bandages? Checks? etc all should be kept in game cause they are convenient?
Shouldn't events, silver and trophy system be taken out since they have never existed in OSI history?

Something tells me you like posting for the sake of posting, look at how many posts you have.....cause you make the worst points. How on EARTH are you going to bring up some a minute mechanic.

You guys like being anal over era accuracies, but then you can't even be anal about ALL inaccuracies and nit pick only the ones that are in favor of you. So you're biased and anal only when you want to be.

Anything about events going away, Blackfoot and the other eye candy collectors would be all over it saying "OH IT'S NOT ACCURATE PLEASE LET ME GET MY MATERIAL POSSESSION SPECIAL DYE IN UO *CRIES*.

S

Faust

Post by Faust »

Did OSI have the same events on a universal level for each production shard like they did with code that produced the game mechanics that is actually being replicated here?

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Faust wrote:...

Did OSI have the same events on a universal level for each production shard like they did with code that produced the game mechanics that is actually being replicated here?
This is not a valid point because on OSI they never had automated events period, sure there was shard-wide events and undead invasion.

But OSI never had tourneys, CTF, DD everyday back to back every other hour.

If OSI had those it wouldn't be UO.

That's why UOSA is a step from UO and OSI, because we can't seem to get this part right.

One thing UOSA can't seem to get right is playing UO. Sure we have the mechanics and whatnot, but people would rather sit in IRC and log into events than play UO.

Why can't we learn to play UO? What's so hard about playing UO?

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

Again your lashing out at the people who disagree with you isntead of making valid points.

If you want to make a thread about events than go and make a thread about events. This particular thread you made is called please dont remove guild chat.
So stick to the topic of guild chat.

You argument continues to be invonvenience and events~ both arent good arguments.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Psilo wrote:This is not a valid point because on OSI they never had automated events period, sure there was shard-wide events and undead invasion.
False, Trinsic undead invasion was automated for all servers.

There is no possible way to replicate OSI events unless you're looking to rename the shard UO Second Age : <insert shard name here> since they were all completely different besides a select few. This same process is actually being replicated rather it's intentional or not. The nature of the events is besides the point since there is no possibility to ever replicate events from OSI due to the multi-shard structure. If there was only one shard that existed it would be a piece of cake but this isn't the case.

If you want to argue the policies surrounding the nature of the events go for it... but trying to argue accuracy is a failed cause because there is no justification or means of accuracy involved with them to begin with here. This subject is clearly a policy issue rather some people want to believe this or not. Replication can only happen when it's on a universal level for each shard and this is a fact.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Oops, yea I see the error in my post. I meant to say shard-widee events like trinsic invasion as well as events of any sort. I knew of many that happened on Lake Superior but they were never trammelized. And silver didn't exist till factions.

*edited the rest of my post cause it was too much flame towards the trammie IRC tournament bank sitters we have on this shard.
Last edited by Psilo on Thu May 27, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.

benny-

Post by benny- »

Psilo wrote: Shouldn't events, silver and trophy system be taken out since they have never existed in OSI history?
I think this pretty well summarizes the difficulty many have over the removal of the party/guild chat systems.

Here on SecondAge, we have a number of inaccuracies, many of them large, game-changing systems and policies, which have completely derailed this shard, changing the entire way the game is played. Any correction to these inaccuracies is met with an outcry of "dead horse!". We're told to give up on these and just accept them.

But here we have a very small mechanic, which while only beneficial to the playerbase (particularly to new players and those who rely on only ig methods to stay in touch), is in fact inaccurate. Thus it should be removed.

On SecondAge, you can macro a 7x char in days, where playing a crafter as your char type has been replaced with clicking "Play".

You can run multiple accounts at a time to further make players self sufficient, or to allow you to work off counts while you safely play your blue.

Reds can ghost a number of locations from their houses rather than going out in the game world to look for action.

Don't have enough players to deal out damage? Make a bot to help you in pvp, legally.

Rather than leaving players to generate activity, we have a daily schedule of events that will auto generate, all taking place by removing players from the rest of the playerbase and putting them on an entirely different map. Let's not forget that this system adds one of the largest aspects of this server's economy; the trophy system.

I could go on, probably filling pages with the number of exploits and methods of gameplay that never existed during the era, yet here are considered to be the norm. All because we have a handful of major issues on this server which have been given up on..."Adapt!"

And yes, I realize that a number of these issues do fall into the category of "policy" and not "mechanical"...but however you try to defend these, they are clearly aspects that were not a part of the era that we are told to simply accept.

To me, you should have a hard time selling accuracy, convincing people to readily give up a small feature which is only beneficial when we have so many larger systems in place, making this place anything but T2A.

Either start working again on the major issues, at least making an effort to make this server like the era, or give up on trying to convince people why they should lose guild chat in the name of accuracy.
- Elisud

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

I think all automated event messages should be removed asap.

Have a town crier announce maybe.

But GM special events could be announced since that is era accurate, Lord British even spoke on shard-wise chat.
Last edited by Psilo on Thu May 27, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

Some changes that will take us closer to the goal of accuracy are easy to fix. Some are massive and take months to hash out, research, debate, come to a decision and then spend weeks of coding to fix. Why wait years until all of these larger systems are perfect before fixing somthing known to be wrong when it can be fixed overnight?

Pointing out inaccurate things and saying they are a valid reason to leave other inaccurate things in the game isnt a valid argument.

If this was a valid argument then you would need to compile a master list of every single thing in the game that is not accurate. Then you would need to put it in order. After it was in any random order you would have to fix it one thing at a time without allowing to skip or move down through the list at any time. One by one no matter what. 'Why is are you fixing number 5, when number 12 isnt accurate' etc. This is the argument you are using now, but there is no list or order. If there was a list and admins skipped a number then your argument becomes valid. Without this list and following it in order this argument is utter failure.
Really think about that. Please.

As for all the policy decisions that people consider era inaccurate, those are always up for debate. The door is never closed for a decision change. We have seen them change before, Im sure well see them change again.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Despite all my arguements to keep guild chat I am actually a zealot of era accuracy. I once even defended the dreaded current hally mechanic which is not accurate at all and will be fixed next patch.

But anyway....intuition tells me we should keep guild chat.

Wallllllaaaah!

Faust

Post by Faust »

Psilo wrote:
And silver didn't exist till factions.
Would changing the name to platinum be alright?

Special items fell into the same category as did the events.. they were all different from one shard to the next with the exception of a very few.

Silver coins is not the same type of item as the silver generated during UOR for factions. This is just another 'special item' created in an event and nothing more really. It doesn't allow the purchase of faction vendors, fighters, and weapons. Sure, this to some may seem like a get around but it's valid in terms of accuracy to be honest.

UO Second Age in a sense is just as if it was a new production shard that sprouted up in mid/late '99 in the OSI server list.

The policies and experiences are uniquely different from the other shards falling from social, items, events, etc... of different types.