Donations!

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Stranger

Re: Donations!

Post by Stranger »

orionsune wrote:
Stranger wrote:
orionsune wrote:A donation would not be a donation if anything were given in return...
Go check out the divinity "Donation" section.

I've seen it before... it shouldn't be called Donation on their shard either. More like "In-Game Store" like many other games have.

Donation - an act or instance of presenting something as a gift, grant, or contribution.
Gift - something given voluntarily without payment in return, as to show favor toward someone, honor an occasion, or make a gesture of assistance; present.
Grant - A giving of funds for a specific purpose
Contribute - to give (money, time, knowledge, assistance, etc.) to a common supply, fund, etc., as for charitable purposes.
Charity - something given to a person or persons in need
Im aware of the definition thank you for showing us all how smart you are.
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

RoadKill wrote:
Stranger wrote: A monthly subscription, though lots here wouldnt mind, would turn away potential new players. Those who dont know how awesome our shard is would be like "Why would I pay for this shard, when I could play this other one for free?" I dont know if i'd wear a t shirt but i'd buy some cool items, like a second age mouse pad or somthing like that.
A subscription would be a donation, not required or expected. Derrick can't require any money from us, and he shouldn't have to. Some of us enjoy the shard enough to throw money at it when we can. If anyone is "turned off" to the shard because people are supporting it by donating, then I don't think they should really be playing here in the first place
I must have misread your post. I thought you were saying a monthly subscription for everyone to play the shard, you were just talking about a voulentary subscription? If so that'd be cool.
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

cletus

Post by cletus »

As I was reading this thread: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5647

I realized an easy donation would be to delay house decay for a specified amount of time
5 bucks = 1 month
10 bucks = 2
20 bucks for a year

While on the one hand you can argue that this causes less idocs (doubt it) it also is a nice way for players to ensure their continued play when they return. In my past experience, players who leave the game for a long period of time and come back with either accounts or houses gone are extremely unlikely to start up again. This has been proven in my experience to simultaneously increase donations to the shard and also encourage players to continue playing on their return. People have real lives and this is an easy way to allow them to have one away from UO.

Also, offering a blessed donator sash or blessed sandals would not impact the gameplay in the slightest. It would however, be a good way for players to show off that they donated to the shard and also for other players to see who donated.

My last suggestion is donation house teleporters for keeps and castles only. I read through the house deco thread http://forum.uosecondage.com/forum.uose ... =11&t=5342 and realized that if people are going to make those horrible looking table ladders to get to the top so you might as well offer teleporters for like $10 bucks a set. I know some people will be against this but this cannot be used for some kind of pvp trap like on UO:R shards.

The teleporters will only be able to be placed in one spot. From the 2nd story front to the top of the roof. They can easily be hidden via turning the teleporter id into a rope ladder as was done on Metropolis. I am NOT trying to turn this shard into Metropolis but I would point out that this was an *extremely* popular donation as a full teleporter set would cost $50 for a castle (One to roof, one to each tower) and they were also coded to disallow criminal or in combat use to make sure that in the unlikely event that someone attempted to abuse they, they could not.

flame away below.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

took me over 6 months to figeur out how and the actually build that staircase
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

cletus wrote:flame away below.
Not a flame:
I appreciate the suggestions, but we're really set on the absolute strictness of absolutely no in-game reward at all for money (or anything else out of game for that matter). This doesn't make it easy to pay the bills at all, but I really belive it's the only way to ensure long-term viability, and playability of the shard.

I'm looking into setting up the monthly subscription suggestion, a very good one.

I really appreciate the donation that do come, this thread, and the suggestions. No idea is useless.

Thanks guys!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

good call, altough i do like the idea of extending your house decay pretty smart.
teleporters not so much

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

There has never been a single time in the 12 years of MMO's ive played that I didnt have a second account.
I'm a boxer, and always will be.

paid or not, i could care less. I plan to donate asap, but becuas the shard is cool. not for any reward.
[broken image]

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

I love UOSAs "absolute strictness" with no rewards for donations whatsoever, it's the reason I donated after only 2 days of playing (I usually never donate or use any cash shop for that matter). If you want to donate, you do it because you want to see the shard live on, and continue to be able to play.

If you want your money to earn you in-game rewards, hire a friend or a family member to go mining for you on an account of their own (not directed at the OP, but to in-game rewards in general).

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

Safir wrote:I love UOSAs "absolute strictness" with no rewards for donations whatsoever, it's the reason I donated after only 2 days of playing (I usually never donate or use any cash shop for that matter). If you want to donate, you do it because you want to see the shard live on, and continue to be able to play.

If you want your money to earn you in-game rewards, hire a friend or a family member to go mining for you on an account of their own (not directed at the OP, but to in-game rewards in general).
lol slave out your lil bro!
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

Yeh, u might not even have to pay them, just threaten them that you'll eat their Pie!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

RoadKill wrote:You should consider setting up a pay-per-month option.
I set this up over the weekend. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Donate/Subscribe

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

Sexy! I signed up already!
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

leterrien
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by leterrien »

Subscriptions is a great idea, I think this will really help get some funds flowing in.
Derrick wrote:absolutely no in-game reward at all for money (or anything else out of game for that matter).
Does that mean that the UOSA T-shirt idea is a no-go? I thought that would be a neat way to support the shard. You get the profits from the shirts, and you get people advertising IRL.

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

I would buy a UOSA T-Shirt.... Derrick if you read this I will PM you tonight with some sweet photoshop designs :)
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Wise wrote:Sexy! I signed up already!
Thanks a ton Wise! Our first subscriber.
leterrien wrote:Does that mean that the UOSA T-shirt idea is a no-go? I thought that would be a neat way to support the shard. You get the profits from the shirts, and you get people advertising IRL.
Great to hear from you! Hope everythings going well down there...
I really would like to do the T-Shirts. Organization however is not nearly my middle name.
Wise wrote:I would buy a UOSA T-Shirt.... Derrick if you read this I will PM you tonight with some sweet photoshop designs :)
Sweet. Looking forward to seeing. Thanks!
Maybe some logo we can intergrate into other pages of the websites as well?
The usage of the actual UO logo on products that we would sell, whether for profit or not is likely illegal