Herding/Animal Taming

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Herding/Animal Taming

Post by Hemperor »

I suggest possibly making it harder to tame mares and the like... the one time I saw a mare in the era, it took at least 5+ to control that beast and get it tamed, here as I understand it many have no problem getting multiple mares a day without death...

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

One thing that's been very well documented is that it took approximately 21 attempts to begin to tame a Nightmare or Dragon at GM skill (granted each "failed" attempt to start to tame the animal did not reset your skill delay). While I can't be certain that we have that here, it would probably be fairly easy to adjust our system to reflect that kind of result. Whether that will actually make it more difficult to tame a Nightmare or Dragon, I can't say, but at least it will be a best effort with regard to providing the closest to era accurate results as we can possibly get with regard to the challenge of taming a creature like that.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

Hemperor wrote:I suggest possibly making it harder to tame mares and the like...

do you think we just get them in the first try? i've wasted lost of time and regs on taming nightmares, and i have gm taming. please do not make them harder
chumbucket wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:chum RPs a thief
Roleplays?!?

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Teknix wrote:
Hemperor wrote:I suggest possibly making it harder to tame mares and the like...

do you think we just get them in the first try? i've wasted lost of time and regs on taming nightmares, and i have gm taming. please do not make them harder
I think it should definitely looked into, nightmares are the most powerful on the game, it should be fucking hard and risky to get them.

HamburgerPimp

Post by HamburgerPimp »

Hemperor, from your other posts I've come to the conclusion you do not have a tamer. My first tame attempt on a nightmare the other day lasted about a hour and ended in failure, I gave up because I had to go do something else.

I didn't even play UO back in the day, but I understand the simple concept of this shard of trying to recreate a certain era. Why would you even bother making suggestions of nerfing something with absolutely no backup saying that said nerf would create era accuracy?

Thanks Kaivan for actually doing the research.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Hemperor wrote:I suggest possibly making it harder to tame mares and the like... the one time I saw a mare in the era, it took at least 5+ to control that beast and get it tamed, here as I understand it many have no problem getting multiple mares a day without death...
hemp, at this point if you are just going to run at the mouth about shit you have no idea about then remove yourself from the disussion.

In this same thread i talk about my first taming attempt at a mare going 120 mins without success.

You also claim my taming gains are exaggerated in that it taken me over 2 months to build a tamer without power gaming him.... again. You have no idea.
http://my.uosecondage.com/player.aspx?id=18446

Your point. Something is wrong with taming here. I have said i somewhat agree with this... but you basically making shit up and not listening to people who are actually making tamers does not help your cause.

Also... did you read the post??? what do you think it means for an existing GM tamer who didnt want to be red??? Now he can release all his pets and have his red with 0 taming use them...

In this crying for a nerf bc of onslaught you may have went and created 100 new onslaughts in this regard...

Good news i suppose that i can sell every member of ace mares and drags now i guess?
Last edited by Hoots on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

HamburgerPimp wrote:Hemperor, from your other posts I've come to the conclusion you do not have a tamer. My first tame attempt on a nightmare the other day lasted about a hour and ended in failure, I gave up because I had to go do something else.

I didn't even play UO back in the day, but I understand the simple concept of this shard of trying to recreate a certain era. Why would you even bother making suggestions of nerfing something with absolutely no backup saying that said nerf would create era accuracy?

Thanks Kaivan for actually doing the research.
Hemperor wrote:I think it should definitely looked into, nightmares are the most powerful on the game, it should be fucking hard and risky to get them.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I honestly don't understand why taming nightmares are so hard for people. If you get them to a redlined status their fireball does literally no damage since fire breath is based off of their current hp. That is the only thing that I can see causing an inconvenience after they ran out of mana. I don't even have a tamer and know this. Perhaps I'm missing something here...

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Faust wrote:I honestly don't understand why taming nightmares are so hard for people. If you get them to a redlined status their fireball does literally no damage since fire breath is based off of their current hp. That is the only thing that I can see causing an inconvenience after they ran out of mana. I don't even have a tamer and know this. Perhaps I'm missing something here...
Faust, it isnt hard in theory. But since mare spawn is limited it takes some time to redline the mare then, even at gm, taming attempt can take from 5-30 minutes. So you need alot of time alone with the beast... anyone can come by and grief FS the mare. Or try to kill/chase you off from the tame.

Same goes for dragons. If uo was a single player game there would be 0 risk in it...

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

So I log in right after reading all this shit... I see a bunch of tamed animals just lingering around my ice isle house, nothing new...then i see bisco come in and gate them all out into someones house...for whatever crazy type of afk taming gains they have planned.

I took quite a few screenies but apparently only this one saved?

All the CTRL+SHIFT ones that showed all teh animals names didn't show... I hope this system gets fully implemented sometime soon

HamburgerPimp

Post by HamburgerPimp »

Faust wrote:I honestly don't understand why taming nightmares are so hard for people. If you get them to a redlined status their fireball does literally no damage since fire breath is based off of their current hp. That is the only thing that I can see causing an inconvenience after they ran out of mana. I don't even have a tamer and know this. Perhaps I'm missing something here...
This is true. It isn't really hard in the sense that you risk death, more so the time it takes to successfully tame one. This is probably why it was much harder to tame one on OSI. Since the player base was much larger on OSI, I would think it would be pretty difficult to spend a hour attempting to tame a nightmare AND contend with a bunch of other players who are also trying to tame it. Not to mention the possibilities for griefing in the scenario...

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

So what? you could do all this in era? Hemp, wernt you 6 in RL when t2a was going on?

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Hoots wrote:So what? you could do all this in era? Hemp, wernt you 6 in RL when t2a was going on?
I am proving you all wrong.

Once again, I have seen 3 new tamers since I have logged on. Taming is obviously much easier now on this shard, I just saw a pack of 30 polar bears sitting there waiting for everyone to tame, I took a count clearing those bastards out.

This is not accurate as Kaivan just stated, they were all T2A guys so it seems that Bisco has alerted them to exploit the system further before it gets fixed.

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

hoots speaks the truth, but so do you faust. i expect to spend 15 minutes taming a nightmare. i think that is a healthy amount of time.

hemp plz dont gate hope, its not polite at times. also there is no exploit. i will not lie about this, but i afk macro'd biscophan in the trinsic stables and got away with it for a long time. the only thing i was bad about it was the fact that the spawn was messed somehow. basically 100s of animals spawned and derrick fixed it. i macro'd there for about 4 weeks, all day, everyday. i got to about 83-84. this was from about 40 taming about. then i spent even longer running around from del to jhelom taming bulls and great harts and giant toads.

thats how i did it. i went to those place b/c people also tame there and i get better gains off pretames. you can afk macro at the hell hounds though. i didn't do that. i dont see anything wrong w/ it though.
Last edited by Teknix on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chumbucket wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:chum RPs a thief
Roleplays?!?

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

hahaha, we've got some pretty mad tamers on their hands...ill dedicate my day to clearing ice island if it means keeping balance on a shard... tamers left adn rgiht gaining off packs of animals that sit still for you is NOT accurate, I'll clean this bitch and grief these dudes until it is fixed,

2 counts already and COUNTING