We need change, for the sake of the server.

Topics related to Second Age
Strong Hand

Re: We need change, for the sake of the server.

Post by Strong Hand »

riant wrote:I don't understand how automated events are tied to betraying the spirit of T2A accuracy. Events are simply a necessary boost to keep populations levels up. It's proven to work, and it's (at worst) debatable that it goes against the concept of era-accuracy. The fact that Derrick has clearly abandoned the server makes the fundamentalist attitude of the remaining GMs baffling. Most of us scroll the replies of these "bring back the events" posts and look for red-font names, and without exception the responses
are religiously against events, as if they FACTUALLY go against the server. Why hasn't there been a GM that says "hmm, maybe they are ok". What is the thinking behind the scenes?? Is the now absent Derrick refusing to give admin rights until they agree with this fundamentalist point of view against events? If so, why would Derrick do that if he's not participating any more. This keeps getting brought up for a reason. This community is full of older, intelligent people and something just doesn't add up.
Touché

Elph

Post by Elph »

just do a damn weekly tournament with a friggen trophy prize for christ's sake. No need for CTF or other stuff, just one, announced, pvp event per week. Make it the same day and time every week. Get that temporary population bump, at a time when new people are likely to see it to begin with.

It doesn't have to be revolutionary, just a cornerstone. Something for player activity to center around. Nothing too complicated.

My 2c

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

riant wrote:I don't understand how automated events are tied to betraying the spirit of T2A accuracy. Events are simply a necessary boost to keep populations levels up. It's proven to work, and it's (at worst) debatable that it goes against the concept of era-accuracy. The fact that Derrick has clearly abandoned the server makes the fundamentalist attitude of the remaining GMs baffling. Most of us scroll the replies of these "bring back the events" posts and look for red-font names, and without exception the responses
are religiously against events, as if they FACTUALLY go against the server. Why hasn't there been a GM that says "hmm, maybe they are ok". What is the thinking behind the scenes?? Is the now absent Derrick refusing to give admin rights until they agree with this fundamentalist point of view against events? If so, why would Derrick do that if he's not participating any more. This keeps getting brought up for a reason. This community is full of older, intelligent people and something just doesn't add up.
We have had long debates as Staff about how to pull these off and stay within era accuracy. The fact is, they really can't be done in an accurate fashion that wouldn't involve adding some type of mechanic that is not natural within our boundaries.

Regardless to what the event is (CTF, FFA, DD), these are just 2 of the problems with the events before you even begin to add additional mechanic/rules (such as Loot/No Loot, Spell/Item restrictions)

- Teleported somewhere to play these mini-games that is outside the standard map? - Can't do it.

- Do it within the Britannia map, using a "guild flag" system for teams (green/orange flags to each other), almost good, but you'll have players griefing their own teams, or people not even in the event griefing the event with animal bombs, item blockers, purple potions, etc.

I can't stress (and I probably have never mentioned it) how much we debate this type of thing among Staff - Anarcho, Mammoth, Kaivan, and myself. We have had countless threads, IRC conversations and even Google Hangout live-chats regarding this.

As I stated in an earlier post in this thread, I am happy to talk to players in IRC/forum PMs on ideas you might have that we've somehow overlooked, the door isn't closed but the boundaries have been set.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Elph wrote:just do a damn weekly tournament with a friggen trophy prize for christ's sake. No need for CTF or other stuff, just one, announced, pvp event per week. Make it the same day and time every week. Get that temporary population bump, at a time when new people are likely to see it to begin with.

It doesn't have to be revolutionary, just a cornerstone. Something for player activity to center around. Nothing too complicated.

My 2c
This caters 100% to PvPers. We are not interested in catering purely to one type of player base with events. PVM events can bring PVP, but these PVP events do not open the door for non-PVP players.

Tournaments are the easiest thing for players to run themselves and in the past we have supported many tournaments with trophies. If a group (or single) player wants to run these weekly, I'm sure you'll find support from myself or another member of the Staff. Support in the form of town crier announcements, and FB updates during the week leading up to the event. Trophies are always up for debate but are definitely not off the table if someone plans on running these regularly (that's not to say every week will feature a trophy though)
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Sultan of Swing

Post by Sultan of Swing »

each day that goes by, UOSA becomes less era accurate.

a swallow

Post by a swallow »

So pretty much what you are saying is, is that if we want something done, do it yourself? WOW, that's how it has been for a long time. If we can do it, then why can't yall. That's yalls job as a GM not the players. Do a tub hunt, place a tub and a hint. Have more monster events with different prizes inside.
[quote="Teriyl"] So wait, you're mad at swallow for stealing shit out of your castle that you mistakenly left unlocked? He's not my favorite person on the server, but damn Dyne, you can only be mad at yourself for that.

JessieKJepsen
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by JessieKJepsen »

I would suggest based on what boomland has said, write him an email in the forums with detailed information on your ideas and suggestions.

I will be doing just that, I have come up with several ideas I think could work within the current mechanics and rules.

I encourage others to do the same and I do feel this thread has surprised me and turned itself back around for the most part in to a positive direction! :)

Lets keep it moving that way! yay! :)

~Jessica <3

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

a swallow wrote:So pretty much what you are saying is, is that if we want something done, do it yourself? WOW, that's how it has been for a long time. If we can do it, then why can't yall. That's yalls job as a GM not the players. Do a tub hunt, place a tub and a hint. Have more monster events with different prizes inside.
Please actually look at what I've been saying, I don't think what I've said is "do it yourself".

viewtopic.php?p=506982#p506982
Boomland Jenkins wrote: Tournaments are the easiest thing for players to run themselves and in the past we have supported many tournaments with trophies. If a group (or single) player wants to run these weekly, I'm sure you'll find support from myself or another member of the Staff. Support in the form of town crier announcements, and FB updates during the week leading up to the event. Trophies are always up for debate but are definitely not off the table if someone plans on running these regularly (that's not to say every week will feature a trophy though)
And from earlier: viewtopic.php?p=506943#p506943
Boomland Jenkins wrote: I can definitely go back to doing various content-events. Player input would definitely be required, probably best NOT in this post as it will get lost with the sea of replies that are bound to occur (because honestly, this is just the "bring them back" thread in a new form) - get in touch with me through a forum PM or IRC PMs. If there is enough player interest, perhaps we can setup a formal system for generating ideas and taking meaningful criticism and feedback on how to make future events better.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Elph

Post by Elph »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:
Elph wrote:just do a damn weekly tournament with a friggen trophy prize for christ's sake. No need for CTF or other stuff, just one, announced, pvp event per week. Make it the same day and time every week. Get that temporary population bump, at a time when new people are likely to see it to begin with.

My 2c
This caters 100% to PvPers. We are not interested in catering purely to one type of player base with events. PVM events can bring PVP, but these PVP events do not open the door for non-PVP players.

Tournaments are the easiest thing for players to run themselves and in the past we have supported many tournaments with trophies. If a group (or single) player wants to run these weekly, I'm sure you'll find support from myself or another member of the Staff. Support in the form of town crier announcements, and FB updates during the week leading up to the event. Trophies are always up for debate but are definitely not off the table if someone plans on running these regularly (that's not to say every week will feature a trophy though)

The fact that it is a tournament is not what it is about. It is about there being a persistent center of action. Something for players to organize their playing around.

It doesn't have to be a tournament, but I would say it does have to be persistent, whatever it may be. The disparate nature of play in an old game promotes disparate players, and boredom. It is entropy in action. What is needed is some form of persistent organized activity, if I may repeat myself.

Try to look past the petty details and see that point. It is what this server lacks and sorely needs. The days where the game itself can be the center of attention are long over, especially with the static nature of this server. The static nature of the server is not a bad thing in and of itself, it just requires something else to catch and maintain people's attention.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:This caters 100% to PvPers. We are not interested in catering purely to one type of player base with events. PVM events can bring PVP, but these PVP events do not open the door for non-PVP players.
I think the point is being missed here. These PvP events cater to population.
Everyone benefits from more population, pvpers and non pvpers alike.

Assuming the "non pvpers" want someone to sell to, buy from, play with etc they need people.

The fact is.. PvP events do more to help the population than non PvP events.
(side note.. you notice the type of players that stick around? I don't see too many veteran pvmers hanging around.)

"100% PvP events" are catered more towards the non pvper than any PvM "gem entrusted wraith" type event ever will be (even if they don't realize it) because it brings them more people to play with/grief/sell to etc.

(both type of events would be best. PvP events to grow population and PvM events for people to fight their super duper blue mongbats or whatever, and bring the community full circle.)

Please don't let "purple pots and animal bombs" stop forward progress. Those are relatively minor issues to work through/deal with. Revive the almighty...

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Jay wrote:
Boomland Jenkins wrote:This caters 100% to PvPers. We are not interested in catering purely to one type of player base with events. PVM events can bring PVP, but these PVP events do not open the door for non-PVP players.
I think the point is being missed here. These PvP events cater to population.
Everyone benefits from more population, pvpers and non pvpers alike.

Assuming the "non pvpers" want someone to sell to, buy from, play with etc they need people.

The fact is.. PvP events do more to help the population than non PvP events.
(side note.. you notice the type of players that stick around? I don't see too many veteran pvmers hanging around.)

"100% PvP events" are catered more towards the non pvper than any PvM "gem entrusted wraith" type event ever will be (even if they don't realize it) because it brings them more people to play with/grief/sell to etc.

(both type of events would be best. PvP events to grow population and PvM events for people to fight their super duper blue mongbats or whatever, and bring the community full circle.)

Please don't let "purple pots and animal bombs" stop forward progress. Those are relatively minor issues to work through/deal with. Revive the almighty...
The mental gymnastics that is takes to make an argument that catering to a specific group of players is the way to do things, because others get trickle down benefits, is astounding. It is a patently absurd form of doublethink to believe that creating specialized & isolating content for a particular group of players is somehow a benefit to those left outside of that content (other servers have operated under this belief, and it drove off anyone who wasn't part of the "in" crowd).

PvPers are not a special group, and are not deserving of special treatment. The world of UO is not centered around them, with all other styles existing as a ripple effect from its existence. There will be no automated event system.
Boomland Jenkins wrote:(because honestly, this is just the "bring them back" thread in a new form)
You're right, this is really just a relabeled thread.

From this point forward, posters will refrain from using this thread to request the return of the automated event system. Another thread exists for that topic, just 4 threads below this one (at the time of this post), and players are free to discuss their desires in that thread. Our answer on the subject has been given, and the discussion will now center on other related topics such as the ones talked about in this post. Expect warnings and board suspensions if this is ignored.

Enough is enough.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Treysta

Post by Treysta »

Kaivan wrote:From this point forward, posters will refrain from using this thread to request the return of the automated event system.
I don't blame you for stating this. I just ask that, if someone indeed brings up automated events, please either delete their post or forumban them instead of locking this thread. I feel as though this thread has been helpful for both staff and players and it would be a shame if it were locked solely because of one smartass.
^

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

I've created a poll, hopefully the start of something new (we'll see how the poll+thread goes first) on how I'll take community input and requests for in-game content. This poll is purely for scheduling purposes to help me understand when the vocal forum posters are in-game.

Take a minute to complete the poll, read the post, and leave a reply. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=60286
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Myrnae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Myrnae »

I am not sure if this was mentioned or not.. but players giving counts to reds during events. You say you want some PvP? Well stop fucking counting the reds you want to fight against. I am only talking about counting during the events.. I got my red out of statloss for the event but when I got my 5th count, I logged out for the night. After the rest of the group got their 5th count? Guess what happened? We logged and you blues had the event to yourselves. Don't bitch about lack of PvP if you are actively fighting us then counting when you die. Let us get up and come back then you can gank us and loot our shit and we'll restock and come back.. rinse and repeat.. all night fun for everyone.

I think I beat this horse well. I think I am feeling the way the old URK's did and see why they left.. well other than not getting their own blessed town.. but the point remains.

Myrnae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Myrnae »

Treysta wrote:
Kaivan wrote:From this point forward, posters will refrain from using this thread to request the return of the automated event system.
I don't blame you for stating this. I just ask that, if someone indeed brings up automated events, please either delete their post or forumban them instead of locking this thread. I feel as though this thread has been helpful for both staff and players and it would be a shame if it were locked solely because of one smartass.
What's the reason for not having automated events again? Is it because they were originally written for an older version of RunUO and need to be modified and with Derrick being absent, no one can do this?? If it is, send me the code and I'll load it on my shard, fix it, test it, and send it back so you can test and implement it.

24 hour suspension for quoting the text that gave the warning and then responding with the suggestion that you'll fix whatever technical issues are wrong with the automated event system so long as they are implemented again. Make no mistake, this is a request for us to reintroduce the automated event system.
Last edited by Kaivan on Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Next time will be permanent.