what weapon to use? what skills to raise first?

Moderator: Support Moderators

dirt1

what weapon to use? what skills to raise first?

Post by dirt1 »

I like fencing the best because spears are cool. I like swords too beacuse I love viking sword, and also there are lots of magic swrods, a big drawback of fencing. Macing is fun too because there are lots of magic macing weapons. Any opinions? I think I will go with swords just because of the magic weapons, but fencing is my favorite... How much is a vanq spear, or vanq kryss, I plan on dying a lot...

Should I try to GM healing before I raise anat, is it easier? Same with magery, does eva int play any effect on it?

Also, how much are invis/tele/reflect items on this shard? Thank you.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: what weapon to use? what skills to raise first?

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Plan on using GM weapons mostly, DPed if bladed.
You'll come across a vanq every so often of any weapon, just dont make it obvious you have it in inventory when around strangers.

Macing is nice. On low dex opponents its devestating and on dexxers its very abusive to their armor. Alot of fights end with a recall might as well leave them a few bumps to remember you by if nothing else. But keeping them from running off and hitting you so much is what a macer does best.

Fencing at high dex can be a mages worst nightmare if you can keep up. Start off strong with a long spear then carry over to a kryss while downing a pot if you need to. If you want to thrash away quick to get a quick poison in this would be the way to go.

Swords are heavy hitters inflicting a higher average damage and I believe the weapons with hilts have the best defense. At least according to a book you can find in game which explains some weapons have better defensive capabilities they do.

Though hit and run with slow weapons using insta hit seem to be the norm with mage types. So if you cast alot you might want to go with wrestling with swords and use a hally for an insta hit.

Ask yourself what would be the best weapon to use with the combination of skills you posess.

If you open up with a powerful Archery shot or a powerful spell with eval you may want to run in with a fencing weapon in an attempt to keep them from recalling too quickly for example. Or follow up with a hally hit to bring their hits down considerably.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

JoshuaLee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by JoshuaLee »

Fencing - Very fast and very good especially against mages, if you run around with a vanq kryss your going to disrupt a lot of spells. I would probably say that vanq krysses are the most expensive one handed weapons in the game, and can run you anywhere from 10k-20k+ depending on the number of tactics bonus. I have seen some vanq spears do amazing damage at times as well, I've seen a vanq spear do around 40 sometimes but its very uncommon I think. But they are very fast nevertheless.

Macing - Macing can be very powerful and you may find yourself using nothing but quarterstaffs eventually. Good thing about them is they are fairly fast especially with 100 dex and the stam damage is remarkable. And definitely gives you an advantage when fighting mages since they for the most part have very low dex. Vanq staffs can sometimes be found as cheap as 8k even because of the fact that they cannot be repaired which is its biggest downfall. But even a GM quarterstaff will do some hefty damage and knock down that stamina. Regardless a quarterstaff is never to be underestimated because even if someone has a lot of refresh pots that stam damage totally factors in to the combat and can stall them if anything. Especially when all you need is that one final hit and they lose stam to give you enough time to finish the job. I mean war axes can be ok but.. to be honest you are only going to get the most out of macing with quarterstaffs. (and some very powerful vanq black staffs)

Swords - well warrior wise these are probably the least used. But does not mean you cant make them just as powerful as macing or fencing. A good vanq katana or vanq broadsword will do some nice damage for sure, and the katana's speed is very nice. To be honest swords are probably the easiest to obtain and the cheapest when it comes to vanqs. Of course it always depends on the vanq's tactic bonus, you can easily get your hand on some vanq broads for cheap to mess around with. I would say the best thing about swords is that they can be the cheapest weapons out of the three and all can be poisoned.

Of course swords mostly comes into play with tank mages for the bardiches and halberds but I am sure this isn't what your referring to.

Personally I cannot tell you which is the best, and imo opinion they can all be equal. I've seen them all dominate the other many times.

But I would refrain from using viking swords because they are so slow and you can almost do twice the damage by using a broad or katana because of the speed.

Well if I were you I would just work on getting your stats established very first thing. Get your strength dex int to where you want them. Then I mean it really doesn't matter. If your a warrior I recommend start out with 50 healing and 50 resist. Anatomy is easy and can macro that overnight. .

The only downfall to raising eval before magery is that youll do more damage to yourself which makes it harder to gain resist. I mean you can make it so you can't die but just easier to macro the eval till after you get your magery and resist situated.

Umm the reflect and teleport charges ive seen go from anywhere from 500-750go a charge. And invis 400-500gp? I could be wrong but definitely a good estimate.
Against all odds.WAR US
UOSA Music Video #6: The AMPA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfLoFkTtEEs
TDC Theme: Joshua Lee's Revenge
http://vimeo.com/7530389

dirt1

Post by dirt1 »

thanks for answers. Ill try fencing out, if I die too much which I plan to do, maybe ill switch to swords. Are there blessed runebooks on this shard? I want to be a pure warrior, no magery.

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

no rune books are not blessed .. keep them in your bank .. they are very keep a few bank runes on you .. one in main pack another in reg bag marked to a diff. tile . and if you have not already good idea to make a macro and hot key to recall out.

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

dirt1

Post by dirt1 »

What should be my seventh skill? So far I will look like this

GM fencgig
GM anat
GM tactic
GM healing
GM hiding
GM stealth

Magery is always good, but I plan on only having 25 int, maybe 35 tops, so I thgouth that would be a waste. I also thought archery might be ok, but from what I have read, archery is really slow. It would be good for pvm though, and I do like it. I was thinking about maybe taking macing as well, and having the choice of weapon. Is poisoning just a mule skill in this era? Any opinions? thanks.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Without resist you are asking for major trouble... without magery 35 intelligence is useless...

if you are certain you want this temp go at least 30 magery 70 resisting spells at the very least...scrolls act like you are casting two circles below the casting level. That being said you would still be able to recall off a scroll with 30 magery.( as recall is 4th circle and thereby needs 40 skill minimum to cast)

And quite frankly what you have here is a an oppurtunist killer, first striker in a PK Gank, or one for an anti PK squad. Make sure to pick up some poisoned weaponry. Keep in mind also you will not be wearing heavy armor when you stealth unless you want to fail all the time miserably.

Make a dress macro after you will no longer be stealthing before coming out and yelling "Bonzai" in order to wear heavier armor... (Which also affects succes at hiding by the way)
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Return to “New Player Help”