Curious about Windows 7 and UO

Zorce
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Curious about Windows 7 and UO

Post by Zorce »

Does anyone know of any issues with connecting and Windows7? I have been thinking of upgrading to 7 and want to see if there were any known issues.

Damascus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Curious about Windows 7 and UO

Post by Damascus »

i think you have to run razor as admin...
just like with vista

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by orionsune »

I think if you turn UAC off, that issue goes away because i've never had to run it as admin. I might test it tonite by turning UAC back on.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

I was running it in a virtual machine and didn't even need to run razor as admin.. so no problems.

I should have a live 64bit Win7 up soon and will see then too.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I'm now running the 5.0.8.3 client under Win7 64bit. It seems to lock up some times, may have to do with multiple monitors and application switching. Might be also my old Razor version using 1.1 framework. Beyond that, no issues.

If you install to an 64bit Windows OS, be it Vista or 7, be sure not to install to C:\Program Files\, but C:\Program Files (x86)\, or my personal preference: C:\
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

Also, Something to be aware of:

If you are running windows 7 "starter edition" that comes with some systems and new net books gives you a 3 application limit. However the, policy regarding what programs are actually counted towards the limit are still kinda uncertain, last time I checked.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Akanigit
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Akanigit »

I am running windows 7 64bit and it randomly crashes. It ran fine on vista 64 after killing the music, but 7 seems to be giving a few issues. I just installed xp on one of my other HD's and bing bang boom no issues.

its britney y'all

Post by its britney y'all »

Akanigit wrote:I am running windows 7 64bit and it randomly crashes. It ran fine on vista 64 after killing the music, but 7 seems to be giving a few issues. I just installed xp on one of my other HD's and bing bang boom no issues.
same here yall
anyone knows how to fix that?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Check this out for running application as if in WindowsXP under Win7:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

I haven't yet tried it, downloading now.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Derrick wrote:Check this out for running application as if in WindowsXP under Win7:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

I haven't yet tried it, downloading now.
It's just a virtual PC of Windows XP. I have it on my daughter's computer because some of here PopCap games will not run on Windows 7. They think its funny to be running Windows inside of Windows just to play some of their games.

I couldn't get the VirtualPC networking to run properly either, but I didn't spend enough time with it as I'm sure it is either a firewall issue with 7, or virtual IP issue.

Probably the only thing I'm disappointed with about Windows 7; the backwards compatibility just sucks like Vista. Shouldn't have to rely on virtual PCs to run older programs.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Natural

Post by Natural »

My wife is having the same problem with her Windows 7, she only got the Home so we cant even get the download for the virtual pc for her new comp, random crashes for her now too. Any tips or hints would be great if there are any out there.

Thanks!
<Derrick> son of a bitch

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Any updates on this? Im about to buy a new PC, the place I going to get it from packaged Vista, they are out of stock so I have tracked down the same model at another shop nearby but its packaged with Windows 7 Home Premium, I dont want to have a brand new PC and no UO, is the only serious issue admin & music?
?

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Caswallon, if it crashes for any reason, you can download Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 and run it through that. Shouldn't have any problem with the virtualization unless you have a really slow computer.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

How slow is "slow"? PC im purchasing has the following specs:

* Intel Celeron Dual-Core E3200 processor
* (2.4GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB Cache)
* Genuine Windows(R) 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* 2GB DDR2 memory
* 160GB hard drive
* NVIDIA GeForce 7050 integrated graphics

Will that be fine? I only want it for UO, course work and the occasional bit of Rome:Total War.
?

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

Personally, I wouldn't buy a PC with Celeron type CPU. Never ever.
  • Intel Celeron Dual-Core E3200 processor
Any other type of CPU's you can choose from?

Since you're only going to play UO and Rome:Total War, replace 64bit OS with 32bit.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO