Inappropriate Names?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Should there be some minimal effort by staff to prevent blatently offensive names from being used?

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes: 47

wyvern35
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Inappropriate Names?

Post by wyvern35 »

I was in the presence of a terribly classy individual this morning whose guild title “Cunt Punter,” really started me thinking about recent incidents within the game and potential era inaccuracies.

I know were not regulated like pay shards and I like the ability to do just about whatever we want without interference. I remember a time when players on Sonoma had to use “sex without consent” because “rape” was an instant ban word and I am in no way shape or form suggesting we head towards that path. Yet on that note I seem to think we are seeing an influx of either unintelligent, tactless, immature adults… (Who genuinely feel that dicklicker for their horses’ name or ifukdurmom on all the tamed polar bears near Deceit is funny) or that I’m surrounded by twelve year olds, who again think the above, is funny.

Look, I enjoy fart jokes jokes as much as the next guy, and I drop the F-bomb where appropriate, but am I the only person who thinks that maybe, just MAYBE, there should be minimal interference on the staff’s part to help protect 1) the integrity of their shard, 2) enforce era accuracy (inappropriate names like I mentioned above would never have made it through the filters, and would likely result in being banned) and possibly 3) remind some of us that were not the only person on this shard that’s over 20?

I am 100% aware of the obscenity filter, and I choose not to turn this on because I want to be able to see exactly what is being said when I am speaking to other players. To this point the language here is hardly unreasonable. My proposal of course would not be to have staff micro-manage players and their naming habits but rather implement a name filter, so Im not Copr Por-ing your horse "Ifukbabies" into oblivion after I kill you. :)

Derrick

Re: Inappropriate Names?

Post by Derrick »

This is already policy, although the specific limit of inappropriateness is a judgement call by the staff recieveing notice. There are about 30+ connects and disconnects per minute on UOSA and 10's of thousands of individual characters; more than we can comb through. If you notice something extremely inappropriate, the best course of action would be to bring it to our attention via the help system; however UOSA is for mature audiences; opinions may differ on what is actionable.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

wyvern35
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by wyvern35 »

I figured there was an available name filter for use...? I remember if you even tried to name your pet something that would otherwise be filtered you would receive a "thats not very nice" message and the name would not stay.

On that note, which help topic would be most appropriate for name reports? If we log out or no staff is online while the Other option is used, our query wont even be seen.

Gicod

Post by Gicod »

I remember that filter, wouldnt let me name a pet Osiris, likely because it started with OSI.

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

Gicod wrote:I remember that filter, wouldnt let me name a pet Osiris, likely because it started with OSI.
yea ... and i couldn't create a Character named Grape Ape .. because it contained the word Rape

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

benny-

Post by benny- »

Completely agree. Cursing is fine imo, I doubt any of us would want to play a game where we have to watch our language or the like so Im in no way trying to support all out censorship or trying to make the shard kid friendly. But some of the things Ive seen ingame.....do people really need to come up with the most offensive, graphic, and racist names possible just for shock value?...Are some of us really that eager for attention on the internet? I can completely understand not having to police ourselves and watch our language in something we enjoy during our free time...but why try to be offensive? Id be embarrassed to know any minorities that joined this shard and be forced to suffer seeing some of the garbage that I have ingame.
- Elisud

Homie
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Homie »

*notices all new names*

cunt punter.. LMAO

the last time someone made a thread and complained about obscene names, a whole guild established a "pvp-league" called milky bags vs soapy boners :mrgreen:

wyvern35
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by wyvern35 »

And its probably that bunch of people that I would round up and steralize first when I am in charge of the world. We dont need their genes...

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

What about house signs? Should people be allowed to have house signs like "Dead n*gger storage"?
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

wyvern35
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by wyvern35 »

Im thinking Derrick's official reply is to report it, though Im still not sure what the most effective way of doing this is. Like I mentioned above, "Other" is the only real option for some sort of interaction with staff. I dont even know if harrassment or any other option will even be directed to them and if "Other" IS the only means to bring something to the staff's attention, heaven forbid that you log out before one of them logs in and is feeling up to reading the queue. :)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

wyvern35 wrote:Im thinking Derrick's official reply is to report it, though Im still not sure what the most effective way of doing this is. Like I mentioned above, "Other" is the only real option for some sort of interaction with staff. I dont even know if harrassment or any other option will even be directed to them and if "Other" IS the only means to bring something to the staff's attention, heaven forbid that you log out before one of them logs in and is feeling up to reading the queue. :)
Other is sufficient. If you have seen that character talking though file it as verbal abuse, as that will make it easier to find the character after the fact.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

Homie wrote:*notices all new names*

cunt punter.. LMAO

the last time someone made a thread and complained about obscene names, a whole guild established a "pvp-league" called milky bags vs soapy boners :mrgreen:
This is Actually the name of a Guild .. not a character

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

Homie
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Homie »

can i join?

Pro

Post by Pro »

all the best names are innapropriate

platypus

Post by platypus »

There already is a name filter, both in character creation and pet status bars when you rename a pet. The filters are really messed up though: it wouldn't me make a character named "Adolf Hiter", "Ad01f H1Tl3r" or any combination of letters/numbers to spell out Adolf Hitler, but I was able to make a character named "Motherfu*kerCu*t" (without the censoring obviously). Same as with pet names, you can't name it "Fuc*", but "Fuc*You" is acceptable; you can't name it "Cu*t", but you can name it "a cu*t" or "Fuc*ingCu*t". So its more of a phrase filter I think, not a word filter.