AFK Begging macro

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mordalf
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

AFK Begging macro

Post by Mordalf »

It would seem to me that afk macroing begging would constitute as an afk resources gain, just like afk mining and afk lumber jacking.In this case the people doing it have completely skipped going for resources and gone straight for gold. I've noticed a large trend in this behavior and thought that maybe it should be addressed. Its getting so you can't even get to the farmer in the market in Moon Glow because of all the AFK beggars humping his leg.
GM editor (I've clicked edit enough times)

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: AFK Begging macro

Post by Hemperor »

Begging will only give you a portion of the gold the NPC has on himself, which is usually in the range of 100.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Mordalf
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mordalf »

which is exactly my point. If crafters arn't allowed to afk macro lumber jacking and mining, I'm guessing so they can't mass large amounts of resouces and kill the economy with a flood of goods, and resources, then isn't afk begging in effect doing the same thing?

It gives you the ability to mass a large amount of Wealth without actually having to do anything to earn it. It also then kills the economy by flooding the market with excess gold there by driving prices sky high.

Even though you can only get what the NPC is carrying this refreshes several times a day, so if say the npc only has 100 gold, that means you have the potential to get 100 gold from begging. Then when the next refresh happens the npc now has another 100 gold to give. I don't know the actual refresh rate on the server, I'm sure its faster than this but for the sake of argument lets say its once every four hours. So every four hours all NPCs gold, carried goods, and items for sale are refreshed. If I AFK macro for 8 hrs then I have the potential to gain 200 gold for doing nothing other than eating up server resources. Now take into account that most of the characters doing this seem to be doing it 24hrs a day...

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Mordalf wrote:which is exactly my point. If crafters arn't allowed to afk macro lumber jacking and mining, I'm guessing so they can't mass large amounts of resouces and kill the economy with a flood of goods, and resources, then isn't afk begging in effect doing the same thing?

It gives you the ability to mass a large amount of Wealth without actually having to do anything to earn it. It also then kills the economy by flooding the market with excess gold there by driving prices sky high.

Even though you can only get what the NPC is carrying this refreshes several times a day, so if say the npc only has 100 gold, that means you have the potential to get 100 gold from begging. Then when the next refresh happens the npc now has another 100 gold to give. I don't know the actual refresh rate on the server, I'm sure its faster than this but for the sake of argument lets say its once every four hours. So every four hours all NPCs gold, carried goods, and items for sale are refreshed. If I AFK macro for 8 hrs then I have the potential to gain 200 gold for doing nothing other than eating up server resources. Now take into account that most of the characters doing this seem to be doing it 24hrs a day...
I don't think that an npc's gold amount actually refreshes. The only way to make anything more than 100gp while afk with begging is by using EasyUO. It would be extremely obvious that you were doing it and also barely profitable at all.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

I don't Think anyone has gotten rich off of Begging,

I really don't think we have to worry about Beggers upsetting the economy!

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

Zane

Post by Zane »

I think it is technically AFK resource gathering, however it has virtually no impact on anything because of the inability to gather large quantities of gold.

All I can say is, if you find someone afk begging do what you would do for someone afk mining. Report them, if the GM paged tells you it's not resource gathering, there's your answer.

Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

DarkWing wrote:I don't Think anyone has gotten rich off of Begging,
Attachments
GMBeggar.PNG
GMBeggar.PNG (65.08 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
I'm a chemistry set that makes only firecrackers and smoke bombs.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

I wish I could wear a gnarled staff around my neck..
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

Nevermore wrote:
DarkWing wrote:I don't Think anyone has gotten rich off of Begging,
purty .. but are you rich?

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

Mordalf
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mordalf »

The only real way to determine what kind of effect begging macros can have is to test one and see what you earn. In an effort to gain that information so that we can make an educated debate, and the powers that be can make an educated decision I have taken the time to do some research.

Ok here are some results: I created a character with 50 begging, and put him to work in a shop in Brittan, he worked from 12:00am est till he got booted and earned 140 gold. I then put him to work while I was at work, from 8:00am est to 5:30pm est. During that time he earned another 190 gold. Not a fortune I admit, but for a few hours of afk not a bad haul.

So if he keeps up at this pace and I run him for the next 4 days, that would give me a 5 day total of 1650 gold for doing nothing but running a macro. Sure that's not a fortune, but if anyone rode past and dropped that amount I'm sure you'd stop and pick it up.

As I stated most of the people that are running this macro seem to be using a mule and leaving it on 24 hrs a day, or as close to it as possible. Take that I only ran it for approx 13-15 hrs (not sure when restart happened) and my begging is only 50 I'm sure they are making closer to 400-800 gold a day minimum. (If any good snooper wants to find out and post it, just go to the farmer in east moon glow.)

So as to my main point: Yes I make more with my Mage killing Harpies in covetous. Of course then I have to pay for regents, keep from dieing, worry about eq damage, and there is the threat of bumping into a murderer... oh and I have to be sitting at my PC to do all that, not sleeping, or working, or whatever... So unless its banned I guess I've found a good way to make some extra gold.

Being that this topic has been an issue of discussion within my circle of friends, I just thought it would be a good idea too bring it to the GMs attention, and seek their opinion. I assumed by the wording of the macro rules, paired with the fact that this macro didn't seem popular until about a week or two ago, that like myself the GMs most likely have never considered the possibility of this skill becoming a popular macro. Nor have they likely put much thought research into what it can do to deflate the value of gold.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

If someone is going to whine about someone else begging afk they have issues. :lol:
State your names here...
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Mordalf
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mordalf »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:If someone is going to whine about someone else begging afk they have issues. :lol:
State your names here...
I'm not whining. I'm stating facts and asking questions.
If you can't give an educated response, then you've shown your hand and need to leave the table.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

So serious...

Come on its begging.
This is a skill no one is going to use except maybe in either desperation or roleplaying.
An educated response? Is there a doctor in the house :lol:
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Mordalf
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mordalf »

apparently no one uses begging, being that they are doing it right now, in Moon Glow. to the farmer, or haven't I said this 3x already LOL

Did you read the forum, or just start posting to it based on the the title?

As for RPing begging on other players, being that the skill only works on NPCs, there is no need to take the skill up for that...

Mordalf
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mordalf »

Ahh, a response that means something. "AFK Begging is ok" as stated by Derrik. Derrik has given the green light to afk begging, looks like I have a new hobby...