Murderers! Let's add more conflict

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Fung

Murderers! Let's add more conflict

Post by Fung »

First off, I play a murderer. I don't speak for the entire community but often times things are pretty stale. This is partially due to the low numbers on the server and the lack of community. I've spent up to 30 minutes looking for someone to kill. Once I do find them more often than not they are not in the mood to fight. I'd like to suggest an idea to add awareness and hopefully more conflict to the Blue vs Murderer battle.

Every city bank (generally the most population area) will get either a new NPC or an existing NPC to broadcast murders that have taken place. Now these announcements can be as specific or vague as deemed fit. My example will be a red killing a blue in cold blood in a dungeon. You can always expand the scale to anywhere, for example the Britt graveyard.

Player X (Murderer) kills Player A (blue) in the Ice Fiend room located within Ice Dungeon.

NPC's (specified above) around the world fire off a rally call "The Great (Player A) has been slained by The Murderer (Player X) in the dungeon of Ice!!! This injustice cannot go unnoticed! Citizens of Brittania return the favor to Player X and bring me back his (XX)! Your bravery will not go unnoticed!"

(XX) = this can be very specific like the head must be returned or any body part, this might allow several people to get a reward instead of one. Also the location can be more specific, but I'm sure this depends on the technical limitations. The reward will need to be something worth the risk and urgency. The NPC won't keep repeating themselves and most of the time murderers don't stick around very long.

The main goal is to add more conflict and hopefully more epic battles. I can see this adding greater purpose for in game guild communication. Example:

Bob from the guild "CoT" is killing liches in covetous level 3 while Jeff, his guild buddy, is at the Britt bank trying to steal from people. Guildless Dan is then killed at the elder gazer room by Murderer Ted. The announcement is made! Jeff see's it and tells Bob within guild chat to distract Ted until he arrives with backup. Bob reaches the scene first to see Ted still looting poor Dan. The battle commences! A few moments later Jeff shows up, along with several other town folk that saw the announcement, to assist Bob, but at the same time Ted calls for back up.

This will hopefully turn into a really fun mini battle. I understand there are technical limitations and resources on a free server are limited, but I'd like to this hopefully snow ball into something that is feasible.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Murderers! Let's add more conflict

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I like this...the bounty posted could determine the length of time the crier would call out. Perhaps a minimum bounty would be in order though, like 1000 gp a minute or two.
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

GomerPyle

Post by GomerPyle »

yeah we need another way for people to ghost... oh and we also definitely need more pks...

its almost impossible to farm anywhere profitable for more than 15 minutes at a time on here

Fung

Post by Fung »

GomerPyle wrote:yeah we need another way for people to ghost... oh and we also definitely need more pks...

its almost impossible to farm anywhere profitable for more than 15 minutes at a time on here
Well you're in the right forum to make changes. I'm not sure what you mean by "another way for people to ghost" though.

I don't think this idea will add more pks, it should do the exact opposite. There's already the risk of dying in stat loss with the current system. This will put these players in even greater risk. The bounty put on their head should travel to anywhere for X amount of time. So for example:

Murderer A kills Player B in covetous. For the next 30 minutes Murderer A has a "super bounty" on their head. The time could be reset if he or she commits another cold blood murder within that time. If 20 minutes later Murderer A is in Destard and is killed his "super bounty" is still up for grabs.

Perhaps in the alloted "super bounty" time the murderer couldn't res. This should prevent people from farming rewards, but obviously more testing would need to be done. I think with constructive feedback it could work.

UO PvE is already completely trivial. I can farm the hardest NPC in the game as 1 person. If monsters were ramped up and a single mage or bard couldn't clear out a dungeon solo this would promote people to travel to dungeons in packs. Then it's much harder for a single pk to wreck any havoc.

As for farming I don't agree. Yes, there have been times when I was killed on my blue in Ice or Cyclops Valley after pillaging for 30 minutes. More often than not I go completely untouched and rarely see a soul. Generally I have more problems when I go into town and deal with local thieves. The system I'd like to implement isn't to promote pk's, but simply more world pvp like we used to see during peak years. Obviously without more people we have to make the world smaller. Right now it's like this post apocalyptic version of Brittania. With a little bit of town communication the names and guilds can grow.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

NEA
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

If we got rid of statloss ghosting/gank squads might be less severe and this would be a good alternative.
It could even bring people together that wouldnt normally having a common enemy and cause.
Then again it could attract as many reds as blues.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

?

Fung

Post by Fung »

Not entirely sure what NEA means.

I was hoping to get constructive feedback, not just UGH NO DO NOT WANT. Do others feel there isn't a problem with community and conflict on the server? Is PvE not trivial to others? Are more bounty rewards not interesting?

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Cool idea. Not sure I'm really that into it, but I think it's a fun idea for a recurring event. Can't be permanent though.

Fung

Post by Fung »

Mikel123 wrote:Cool idea. Not sure I'm really that into it, but I think it's a fun idea for a recurring event. Can't be permanent though.
I understand not everyone plays for PvP. Some people trade skills, PvE, and all the fantastic little things UO has to offer but special events would be cool and this could be exactly that. I'll start a new thread.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

1. Its not anywhere accurate, and I dont think it falls under the "event" banner. As Mikel said maybe the occasional day would be ok but not permanent.
2. Reds dont want "epic battles", "fair fights" or "more PvP action", they want the least risk, easiest kill. Ghost spawn, wait for oppertunity, gate in, drop mark, loot, leave. Pretty sure they dont want their locations broadcast either. There is a difference between PvPs and PKs, your bracketing them together which is a mistake imo.

Thats why. Its a nice idea but its not suitable. A better idea would be for some of our leet PKs to actually start playing antis, you will find action that way, but its not cool to be blue...
?

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Fung wrote:Not entirely sure what NEA means.
Not Enough Asshats
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Fung

Post by Fung »

Caswallon wrote:1. Its not anywhere accurate, and I dont think it falls under the "event" banner. As Mikel said maybe the occasional day would be ok but not permanent.
2. Reds dont want "epic battles", "fair fights" or "more PvP action", they want the least risk, easiest kill. Ghost spawn, wait for oppertunity, gate in, drop mark, loot, leave. Pretty sure they dont want their locations broadcast either. There is a difference between PvPs and PKs, your bracketing them together which is a mistake imo.

Thats why. Its a nice idea but its not suitable. A better idea would be for some of our leet PKs to actually start playing antis, you will find action that way, but its not cool to be blue...
As I said I play a murderer and only speak for myself. Yes there are times when I want to pk and not pvp. My apologies for clumping them as a whole. I completely agree with you though, not every murderer would like this or thinks the way I do, but I've played mmo's for over 14 years and it's impossible to make everyone happy. I know plenty of players you described and hate them equally, but I love how they can exist in UO. However like any world, it evolves. Over a period of time people would figure out new ways to communicate things happening outside of their safe zones.

You know I'd love to play an anti-pk if the game play was more feasible. I'd still get the satisfaction of pvp and the ability to loot a player. Problem is searching for reds is a lot harder than searching for blues because of the lower numbers. I'd like to think my suggestion would promote more anti-pks. Maybe at some point it makes it so hard for murderers to exist Order vs Chaos would be more popular. However if that were to happen offensive spells should work in town.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Fung wrote:I completely agree with you though, not every murderer would like this or thinks the way I do, but I've played mmo's for over 14 years and it's impossible to make everyone happy.
The difference with UOSA and other shards is that UOSA is not out to please everyone or make everyone happy, but to provide an accurate image of T2A, whether it be good or bad. This comes down to even the most minuscule things like cutting bandages one at a time.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Fung

Post by Fung »

hiicha wrote:
Fung wrote:I completely agree with you though, not every murderer would like this or thinks the way I do, but I've played mmo's for over 14 years and it's impossible to make everyone happy.
The difference with UOSA and other shards is that UOSA is not out to please everyone or make everyone happy, but to provide an accurate image of T2A, whether it be good or bad. This comes down to even the most minuscule things like cutting bandages one at a time.
Did spells work in town and were PvP tournaments broadcasting to the entire server in T2A?

I'm not trying to change game mechanics, or balance melee vs magery, or remove the ability to kill people in houses but help improve community and player interaction. If a 1000 users were online during peak times we would be having a different discussion. I'd like to work within the limitations of server resources to evolve, that's all.