Dungeon Spawn, Macroing, and Era Accuracy.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Lothain

Dungeon Spawn, Macroing, and Era Accuracy.

Post by Lothain »

Dungeon spawns are going to be reduced, and are being reduced presently.

Yet skill gain is still very fast compared to what it was, and macroing is allowed, whereas it was not in era. I doubt, at least, that the second of these will be changed.

The overall effect, I think, is that while dungeons will be "on paper" more accurate, they will feel far less dangerous and challenging than they were - because it's a viable option to not do *much* hunting until your character is mostly done. It was not a viable option, for the most part, on OSI.

So, imho, either dungeon spawns should be heavier than they were in T2A, or skill gain should be made slower; because without changing both terms of the ratio (dungeon spawn: player skills) you're going to make, I think, the experience inaccurate.

Just a thought.

ironfistmax

Re: Dungeon Spawn, Macroing, and Era Accuracy.

Post by ironfistmax »

Skill gain as I remember was about the same. The reason it seemed longer back then is because none of us knew how to bring up a skill the most time efficient way. Now most of us know how to make characters, bring up skills, and if we don't....someone out there has made a guide. People did macro back then too using programs like EZMacro.

Most of the UO players have mastered the fastest skill gain and slowing it down more would hurt more than help imo.

As far as dungeons being fixed, well they aren't taking away much. Just little stuff. Also keep in mind respawn rate was pretty fast back then. So maybe there won't be as many monsters, but the respawn is pretty fast and efficient.

And by the way, dungeon "difficulty" will always be there when you have active pks, the most dangerous monster in UO :twisted:

Mazer

Post by Mazer »

ironfistmax wrote:And by the way, dungeon "difficulty" will always be there when you have active pks, the most dangerous monster in UO :twisted:
Nuh-uh, poison ele's way worse than any PK. Sorry.

ironfistmax

Post by ironfistmax »

Mazer wrote:
ironfistmax wrote:And by the way, dungeon "difficulty" will always be there when you have active pks, the most dangerous monster in UO :twisted:
Nuh-uh, poison ele's way worse than any PK. Sorry.
I dip my halberd into posion elementals before I go out and PK, therefor, I am more dangerous!

qtip

Post by qtip »

Seeing the difference in the Deceit spawn I'm all for making the rest of the spawns how they were. Deceit was so full of shades and spectres before. I know its suppose to be hard but I shouldn't be getting blocked when i open a door; if you know what i mean.
ironfistmax wrote:I dip my halberd into posion elementals before I go out and PK, therefor, I am more dangerous!
lol :lol:

Lothain

Post by Lothain »

ironfistmax wrote:Skill gain as I remember was about the same.
I'm pretty sure Derrick has told me it is still much faster than it was.

I recall respawn being faster, but that's old memory - do you know if there are plans to increase it from what it is presently?

Sauron

Post by Sauron »

They base everything on DOCUMENTED resources :wink: And when was macroing not allowed during t2a?

ironfistmax

Post by ironfistmax »

Sauron wrote:They base everything on DOCUMENTED resources :wink: And when was macroing not allowed during t2a?
Unattending macroing was never allowed on OSI or EA. However they didn't have the resources or technology at that time to really catch an afker. The GMs would spot check people. And that rarely happened.

Kasimir

Post by Kasimir »

ironfistmax wrote:
Sauron wrote:They base everything on DOCUMENTED resources :wink: And when was macroing not allowed during t2a?
Unattending macroing was never allowed on OSI or EA. However they didn't have the resources or technology at that time to really catch an afker. The GMs would spot check people. And that rarely happened.
Lol, to think I could just get on everyday and head to each city's bank and jail about 50 people before the day is over...that'd kind of be like "Daily End-Game Quests" from WoW - it'd get old but still be rewarding. :P

brandonsantacruz

Post by brandonsantacruz »

Lothain wrote:Dungeon spawns are going to be reduced, and are being reduced presently.

Yet skill gain is still very fast compared to what it was, and macroing is allowed, whereas it was not in era. I doubt, at least, that the second of these will be changed.

The overall effect, I think, is that while dungeons will be "on paper" more accurate, they will feel far less dangerous and challenging than they were - because it's a viable option to not do *much* hunting until your character is mostly done. It was not a viable option, for the most part, on OSI.

So, imho, either dungeon spawns should be heavier than they were in T2A, or skill gain should be made slower; because without changing both terms of the ratio (dungeon spawn: player skills) you're going to make, I think, the experience inaccurate.

Just a thought.
I don't recall ever running into as many mobs in lvl 2 cove, but it could be that the players just kept their numbers low by running through all the time.

Sauron

Post by Sauron »

ironfistmax wrote:
That was an OSI rule. It didn't stop people just like they couldn't stop people from using foul language. Doesn't have anything to do with the accuracy of the game.