Possible solution to ghosting?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Sum_Mors

Possible solution to ghosting?

Post by Sum_Mors »

I know ghosting has been kicked back and forth forever by the community, but Derrick has said in the past a few things:

1. Ghosting IS an issue about inaccuracy.
2. It will not be fixed in a way that supports ones play style over another.

To these I ask two questions:

Was it illegal in T2A to be on 2 accounts at the same time? (Being caught or not is a different issue)

What are the exact rules involving insta-logging? (Where is it possible to insta-log? What is the time duration if you fail to insta-log?)

Edit: People have posted that (in era) you could only multi-client using a 3rd party program. Third party programs were illegal (not going to combat use of razor, that can't be done). Thus, multi-clienting on one computer should be wrong.

Furthermore, I propose the insta-log rules be spread to apply to an IP as opposed to an account. Thus, unless the person has multiple computers, they cannot ghost and roll a character at the same time. In addition to this, if somebody was running a ghost for a 'gank squad', at least the person doing the ghosting wouldn't be able to quickly log and join the fight. Thus, hopefully nobody would want to actively do the ghosting as they would just get to watch and go OoooOoooOOO.

This wouldn't go against accuracy in the multi-clienting aspect. Indeed it would agree with era accuracy.

There are two problems with this plan though:

1. Detecting and enforcing no multi-clienting on the same IP.
2. If it is at all possible to spread the insta-logging rules to apply to an IP instead of an account.
Dagon wrote:so whether you could legally run a program to run two clients as once doesnt matter, the mechanics of ghosting with multiple accounts were possible
And in my suggestion, ghosting would still be mechanically possible, just not nearly as beneficial to the person doing the ghosting.
Last edited by Sum_Mors on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:59 am, edited 5 times in total.

Dignan

Re: Possible solution to ghosting?

Post by Dignan »

you had to use multi uo to open two clients. any unsupported 3rd party programs were illegal. But you could dial up on two different computers and have a ghost.

Insta log= house that you own/friended to, inn or tavern if you have not been in combat.not sure how long the combat timer is but not more than a couple of mins.

Sum_Mors

Post by Sum_Mors »

Dignan wrote:you had to use multi uo to open two clients. any unsupported 3rd party programs were illegal. But you could dial up on two different computers and have a ghost.

Insta log= house that you own/friended to, inn or tavern if you have not been in combat.not sure how long the combat timer is but not more than a couple of mins.
But was multi-clienting (dual computers or not) considered illegal? And what is the timer if you are not in a house/inn?

Dignan

Post by Dignan »

i do not think it ever said anywhere that you could not multiclient. But like i said they made it so you could not open two clients without a third party program.

not sure on exact time but it seem like it takes 3-4 mins to log out.

But razor lets you do alot of things that the old client/uoassist did not.
Last edited by Dignan on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

regardless of the policy of OSI, it's also been stated here that it's pretty much impossible to replicate policy and thus the only intention is to replicate the mechanics of t2a .... so whether you could legally run a program to run two clients as once doesnt matter, the mechanics of ghosting with multiple accounts were possible, and as long as you were paying for each account why wouldnt you have been able to use them all at the same time.. thats what you were paying for.
also, well i dont recall the specifics of osi policy, but did the whole third party policy limit itself to programs that interacted with the client in some way? using a 3rd party program that simply allowed you to run another copy of the client has nothing to do with the server or gameplay.. not that it matters now.

logout time is something like 4 minutes

Sum_Mors

Post by Sum_Mors »

Dagon wrote:regardless of the policy of OSI, it's also been stated here that it's pretty much impossible to replicate policy and thus the only intention is to replicate the mechanics of t2a .... so whether you could legally run a program to run two clients as once doesnt matter, the mechanics of ghosting with multiple accounts were possible, and as long as you were paying for each account why wouldnt you have been able to use them all at the same time.. thats what you were paying for.
also, well i dont recall the specifics of osi policy, but did the whole third party policy limit itself to programs that interacted with the client in some way? using a 3rd party program that simply allowed you to run another copy of the client has nothing to do with the server or gameplay.. not that it matters now.

Well, since the posters so far only know "something like" and "i dont recall" I'll go ahead and edit the OP with my idea.

Dignan

Post by Dignan »

i dunno some of the early speed hacks did not really mess with your client but more your computer and they were deemed illegal because it interfered with game play

Dignan

Post by Dignan »

Sum_Mors wrote:
Dagon wrote:regardless of the policy of OSI, it's also been stated here that it's pretty much impossible to replicate policy and thus the only intention is to replicate the mechanics of t2a .... so whether you could legally run a program to run two clients as once doesnt matter, the mechanics of ghosting with multiple accounts were possible, and as long as you were paying for each account why wouldnt you have been able to use them all at the same time.. thats what you were paying for.

Well, since the posters so far only know "something like" and "i dont recall" I'll go ahead and edit the OP with my idea.
sorry many did not think you need it down to the second. but if thats the case get out your stop watch and check

Sum_Mors

Post by Sum_Mors »

Dignan wrote:sorry many did not think you need it down to the second. but if thats the case get out your stop watch and check
Sorry for being short, but I've been up a while and have been dealing with a medical problem. I've been grumpy as of late.

Dignan

Post by Dignan »

its cool but i do not really get how insta logging comes into play most people ghost with there 2 accounts and play on the third.

plus on a shard with 500 people which is acutally less because it counts clients when you die its hard to find a gate if i could not log on to my other account and gate my char off a island after i die it would be a major pain. plus transfering houses to other accounts would not work.

Sum_Mors

Post by Sum_Mors »

Dignan wrote:its cool but i do not really get how insta logging comes into play most people ghost with there 2 accounts and play on the third.

plus on a shard with 500 people which is acutally less because it counts clients when you die its hard to find a gate if i could not log on to my other account and gate my char off a island after i die it would be a major pain. plus transfering houses to other accounts would not work.
Which, while inconvenient, would add to era accuracy. Yes, it was possible to transfer between multiple accounts (with two different computers), but was illegal to do with a 3rd party program (one computer).

Edit: In addition, I'm not sure on all of the insta-logging rules yet, but you could still gate your ghost out. It would take you a bit to log off your ghost and onto your other account (assuming you don't just 'help function' out). But once you've gotten on the other account (or same account) you could open a gate, and then insta-log that character at an inn/house and then relog on the ghost.

Dignan

Post by Dignan »

Sum_Mors wrote:
Dignan wrote:its cool but i do not really get how insta logging comes into play most people ghost with there 2 accounts and play on the third.

Which, while inconvenient, would add to era accuracy. Yes, it was possible to transfer between multiple accounts (with two different computers), but was illegal to do with a 3rd party program (one computer).
well macroing is illegal as well and its allowed. alot of people used multi uo.

Ghosts and alive players have different body values it should not be hard to just script it so ghosts can't see alive players after like 10-15 mins. Though staff most likely use the ghost body value but im sure you could just put a check in if account access= higher than 1/player or something like that

Dignan

Post by Dignan »

People just need to get out and vote.With more people on the shard the pks will be alot more scarce. Truth be told people have always had ghost spys. It just was not well known or used/abused because of slower connections and slower computers.

Sum_Mors

Post by Sum_Mors »

Dignan wrote:well macroing is illegal as well and its allowed. alot of people used multi uo.

Ghosts and alive players have different body values it should not be hard to just script it so ghosts can't see alive players after like 10-15 mins. Though staff most likely use the ghost body value but im sure you could just put a check in if account access= higher than 1/player or something like that
Macroing has become a necessary evil to accept with Razor, but I concede that 3rd party macroing was illegal then (except UOAssist), but legal here. However I appeal to the staff that while OSI policy cannot always be enforced, there surely is the ideal to try and uphold fairness and accuracy when possible as it relates to the policies that OSI ran.

Next, while those values could be changed, those changes would not be era accurate, and can alter game play. How would a ghost get a res if it couldn't see living players other to reveal itself and hope something it can't see comes by? The changes I submit would be fitting with era accuracy, I believe.

Edit: To the above post: Unfortunately that is not true with the current state of UO and shards. Most people who reminisce about UO and still want to play it, enjoyed the combat. They are PvP players primarily. Yes, people who want to play craftsmen, or RP, or roll as PvE item hunters do exist, but the loudest and most prominent factors of the game will be the PvP players, with their murderous alt characters. I believe you can find many, many threads about PvP accuracy as compared to anything otherwise.
Last edited by Sum_Mors on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

Currently on my 7th MMO where i've owned and used multiple accounts.

I did it in UO, Everquest, SWG, World of Warcraft, COH, AC, and now EVE.

It has always been allowed. In UO computers were so crappy that you could not multi client. By the time everquest came out it was "Common" gameplay. People found that they were bored of only playing one charecter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-boxing If you read the wiki, it explains a bit more.

The website http://www.duel-boxing.com came out in 2005, and I have been a member ever since.

When I was playing UO i was 16 years old and working at Wendys. I made plenty of money in order to buy my 3 computers, and pay for 3 UO accounts.

I'm sorry that you were not old enough, well off enough, or a big enough geek that you could not multi client. But many many people did.

Friends in RL allowed thier friends access to accounts too, and whyle this was not an allowed policy, people did do it. every single day.

I would no longer play an online game that I couldnt run multpile charecters. Game developers know this, games like eve not only support multi clients, but advertises it, and give deals for cheaper accounts on the same CC.

I do not like ghosters, i think its silly and wastes time. Most real PK's go through every dungeon every time they PK. I don't understand why a ghost is even all that usefull. When I log in olmanriver for some pk action, i go to every place people go. Why a ghost makes this any easier is beyond me.

Hemp made a sig about this for some reason, so ill repeat myself.

"Derrick knows that many of his players enjoy "Botting" and won't change anything. (The oringinal term for multi-client, or duel box, it's definition has changed to mean "Afk-Macroer" but it used to just mean "alt charecter" "slave charecter" ect.)

So no. you will not get your wish, or you would be supprised how many people just wouldn't play.
[broken image]