Possible solution to ghosting?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Possible solution to ghosting?

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Or you could stand out side in a mob near a Gankers/Ghosters dwelling where they gate themselves in and out at and put them all in stat.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

Malice has done that to me twice, and UOSAPlayer Once.

nonsence works!
[broken image]

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

platypus wrote:I don't understand, this is literally like the 10th post I've seen about ghosting. Here's what I think:

If you are bothered by people ghosting certain spawns, GO TO A DIFFERENT SPAWN TO FARM.

There are at least 50 decent farming locations on the shard, which I hardly ever see anyone at when I go to them. When I go to lich lords or bloods or elders or cove lich, I nearly always see a blue farming or a red PKing. These are also the only locations I have ever seen a ghost at. You newbs need to see the whole picture. You might get 10k less per hour while farming at say fire dungeon, but you make up with this loss in income by not getting PKed, having to run from PKs every 10 mins, etc. So in the long run, you're actually making MORE gold by farming at shitty spots. If you're gonna farm at a prime farming location, like bloods or lich lords, don't be a pussy and whine and ask admins to change rules just cuz you aren't skilled enough to get away from a PK.

Ghosting never has and never will change anything, all it does is save the PK 10 seconds of time and a couple recall regs. If ghosting was eliminated somehow, more PK guilds would have hidden characters at farming spots, accomplishing the exact same thing. A PK guild could also bring a blue character around to spawns as a "scout" and gate in all the reds when he finds a blue farming. There's so many ways of accomplishing this, so its completely pointless to make threads about or discuss ghosting further. Stop plz
qft
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Ifrit

Post by Ifrit »

Sandro wrote: The truth is that PK's run dungeons, every day. Whether or not they have a ghost in one particular area doesn't mean you aren't going to see/get pk'd in that area. We are playing on a server that doesn't even enforce the "Heat of Battle" flee-tag, so casting recall is a 100% guarantee, every time. If you can't even manage to cast a 4th level spell (or hide) before a red manages to recall in, locate you, and then engage in combat, run you down, AND kill you (keep in mind wep timer advances only while standing still) then you probably have no reason being outside of town, anyways.

There is no Era-Accurate way to "fix" this issue which isn't even broken. Somebody who is choosing to ghost is sacrificing 1 of their 3 available accounts just to ghost, anyways. I never ghosted when I trolled dungeons, and I managed to find/kill more farmers than a lot of people here do. I would rather choose to idle murder counts or run a macro to finish off a char as opposed to letting a ghost idle in a dungeon merely to farm vision on one spot..

The biggest reason people get so upset is because so much has evolved after so much time. In 1999 OSI, people went to farm in GROUPS. There were usually groups of at least 3-8 people at a time who would all hunt together, because nobody was a 7x gm Bard, who could tackle the entire dungeon by themselves. The risk of dying, whether to spawn or PK was a lot greater, because people knew a lot less and HAD A LOT LESS in 1999. On Atlantic in 1999, there were MASSIVE Anti-Pk guilds, most of which were farmers who banded together to hunt safely and discourage PK's. UOSA, we have no Anti-PK guilds. Why? Because everyone is independent and have learned the easiest way to perform maximum efficiency, while remaining solo.

Absolutely, 100% agree with everything said above ^
No matter how accurate this shard is, play style cannot be replicated 11 years later. I always was suprised that people don't hunt in groups here. But you're dealing with a 1999 server and ruleset with a 2010 MMO mindset. Same reason why GM smiths aren't the best moneymaking character anymore

Failivrin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Failivrin »

I see no issue with ghosting, belongs to second age, watch out someones allways watching! Stay Allert!
Dont like it? I suggest you go to trammel, ohh... wait, we have no trammel here on UOSA! Bummer....

Its not an unfair advantage, everyone can do it
Here exists only one rule, do what ever you want, using any means possible, welcome to UOSA.
- Regards, Failivrin aka Kheran, Nazgul, Falasquil

benny-

Post by benny- »

Every single thread about ghosting...those who favor it scream "Trammel!"

It seems you haven't followed this discussion or seen many of the others.

During the era, ghosting was not possible like it is here.

Look at the facts.

Accounts cost a monthly fee...having 3-4 accounts was something that the majority of people (Id bet well over 99%) simply did not have.

But I can see the argument that it was possible to own more than one account, so while issues and exploits revolving around owning multiple accounts really didn't occur, I'll move on.

You could not run more than one account from a computer. Forget about the little gump pop-up?

"Another copy of UO is already running!"

Running more than one client at a time was clearly an open door for exploits....OSI took measures to prevent this by having the client detect other instances running....even players who paid out the extra cash for secondary accounts (thus benefiting OSI) were stopped from multiclienting by this feature. Allowing every single user to run four clients at once is no way era accurate.

There were methods for getting around this...third party apps that would get around this client detection, but they were illegal....again OSI took measures to prevent exploits that would come with multiclienting. So as some say "I used to multiclient all the time back in the day with this program..." is a moot point. Yes if you used illegal third party apps and paid the 40$ or so a month you could, but that is clearly not the same as what we have here. If we're going by the logic of what we could do during the era then we should also implement speedhack, gold duping, and bugs for creating black tubs in razor, for everyone to use.

Even if you played illegally during the era, had illegal third party apps, and paid the monthly bill to maintain 3-4 accounts, you still had game mechanics that would force you to log out after a few mins of idling. Meaning anyone who went through the pain listed above in order to ghost would then have to continually tab through every client in order to keep them from logging out. Doing any kind of pvm or pvp without your 3 alts logging out would've been impossible.

Ghosting was simply not an issue during the era.

How is it Trammel to want the same gameplay that existed in the era that was pre renn?

In the end, ghosting allows cowardly pks to sit in their towers, where no one can hurt them, wait for an easy target, gate in, drop, gate out, with no risk of dying themselves. How is enabling inaccurate gameplay so that pks can get their kills while playing safely and easily Trammel?

The reason why so many of us are opposed to ghosting is not because we're all pvmers who are sick of being killed, its because it kills field pvp, interaction and reduces pking to sitting in a tower.
- Elisud

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I used to think people here ghosted, but honestly I don't anymore. You may park a stat loss ghost in a dungeon hotspot, and I guess you can check to see who's there if you have another PK character... but it's mostly just an annoying artifact of having to wait out some time in stat loss. It's slightly more useful to put them in a dungeon hotspot than it is in your house.

99% of the reds on this shard that actively PK will just recall/gate around and run around each spot looking for people. I spend a fair amount of time hidden in dungeons and it doesn't look to me like they somehow know ahead of time where people are.

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

multi-clienting is bigger than just ghosting

it hurts the entire world.

all of you who threaten quitting if you cant have your multi client (or whatever you may be crying about) is straight up sissy shit. hope it happens and you do lil crybaby sandro... and take all your people with you. I'm sure it's an empty threat anyway. its funny cause you dont see any of us quitting or even talking about quitting if we dont get our little crybaby way. it aint about trammel or farming safe.

A minority percentage multi-cliented.. end of story. not just the well off or geeky people lol.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Biohazard wrote:multi-clienting is bigger than just ghosting

hope it happens and you do lil crybaby sandro...
lol :lol:
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

Sandro wrote:lol :lol:
yea little cry babies who threaten to quit if things arent how they want them are pretty funny aren't they

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

I've played here since 2008, a lot of things aren't how I want it but im still here.. :/

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

Sandro wrote:I've played here since 2008, a lot of things aren't how I want it but im still here.. :/
so why you postin threats then? you know how it goes apparently...

Sum_Mors

Post by Sum_Mors »

I wish Derrick would reply to the issue at least of era accuracy and the relation to multi-boxing the game.

It is clearly era accurate to only be allowed one client per computer.

Okay, so we have 15 characters per IP (3 accounts) but that doesn't necessarily give the right to be on all of them at once. Hell, usually the only reason shards like this allow 3 accounts is for households with routers and 'I've got a brother who also wants to play'; the former of which is much, much more common than it was in the era we're replicating.

Once again, nobody has posted anything near coherent combating the era accuracy of this issue.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I know just who to call about this
GhostbustersPoster1.jpg
GhostbustersPoster1.jpg (19.17 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

Sum_Mors wrote:I wish Derrick would reply to the issue at least of era accuracy and the relation to multi-boxing the game.
Go to search and in the author section type "Derrick" and in the keywords section type "ghosting"

it will bring up all he has stated so far.