Retame value for any pretame should be set to 0

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Retame value for any pretame should be set to 0

Post by nightshark »

Retame value for any pretame should be set to 0 - this applied to even dragons.

My horse went untame and I couldn't retame it.

On OSI, '99, you could tame anything on the first try that was previously tamed - even if you were not the previous master. You'd get the message "that wasn't even challenging".

AFAIK this has always been the case on OSI and may be in place on official servers to this day.
--------------
Another really small discrepancy, the gump for "do you wish to purchase" on a player-run vendor should not exist.

Also, when you buy something, the vendor is supposed to say your character's name in grey font.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Derrick

Re: Retame value for any pretame should be set to 0

Post by Derrick »

That is the case here, however the minimum tame skill requirement does not get zeroed, only the difficulty.
nightshark wrote:Retame value for any pretame should be set to 0 - this applied to even dragons.

My horse went untame and I couldn't retame it.

On OSI, '99, you could tame anything on the first try that was previously tamed - even if you were not the previous master. You'd get the message "that wasn't even challenging".

AFAIK this has always been the case on OSI and may be in place on official servers to this day.
--------------
Another really small discrepancy, the gump for "do you wish to purchase" on a player-run vendor should not exist.

Also, when you buy something, the vendor is supposed to say your character's name in grey font.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Derrick wrote:That is the case here, however the minimum tame skill requirement does not get zeroed, only the difficulty.
It should be zeroed.

I used to tame horses all the time on my characters, which had 0 skill. In the case of a wild horse (previously untame), you'd get the message "You have no chance of taming this creature".

Also, you couldn't transfer/command pets that had a space in their name... for example "a horse transfer" would not work. I really need to download the demo... but I hate my internet connection :(
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Faust

Post by Faust »

This feature you speak of didn't apply until out of our time frame of accuracy in early '00.

Server Publish Jan 24 2000 9:14AM CST - http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=2000_Patch_Notes
  • Pets will remember who their previous owners were.
  • Previous owners are defined as anyone who tames the pet or has the pet transferred to them.
  • The more previous owners a pet has had, the more difficult it will be for other players to tame it if it goes wild.
  • This also means that players who were not a previous owner to the pet can tame the pet for skill gain.
  • Any previous owner may retame the pet regardless of their skill.
The minimum value that is required to tame the creature doesn't drop but the difficulty in fact does(to prevent retaming the same creature over and over to macro skill gains) as Derrick stated previoulsy. This is the main reason non-tamers cannot retame a pet that abandoned them. The change above made it to where any previous owner of a pet could retame a creature that would ultimately keep lowering its difficulty skill in small strides instead of one huge leap to 0 if I am not mistaken.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

nightshark wrote: Also, you couldn't transfer/command pets that had a space in their name... for example "a horse transfer" would not work. I really need to download the demo... but I hate my internet connection :(
Actually, I think this is correct. I ended up naming most of my pets to single-word names out of habit, but was quite surprised when I was able to transfer "a horse".

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Faust wrote:This feature you speak of didn't apply until out of our time frame of accuracy in early '00.

Server Publish Jan 24 2000 9:14AM CST - http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=2000_Patch_Notes
  • Pets will remember who their previous owners were.
  • Previous owners are defined as anyone who tames the pet or has the pet transferred to them.
  • The more previous owners a pet has had, the more difficult it will be for other players to tame it if it goes wild.
  • This also means that players who were not a previous owner to the pet can tame the pet for skill gain.
  • Any previous owner may retame the pet regardless of their skill.
The minimum value that is required to tame the creature doesn't drop but the difficulty in fact does(to prevent retaming the same creature over and over to macro skill gains) as Derrick stated previoulsy. This is the main reason non-tamers cannot retame a pet that abandoned them. The change above made it to where any previous owner of a pet could retame a creature that would ultimately keep lowering its difficulty skill in small strides instead of one huge leap to 0 if I am not mistaken.
Actually, that patch made it harder to retame if you were not a previous owner (eventually to the point where even a rabbit would be impossible to tame at GM). I know for sure I used to retame horses at WBB in '99 (I quit playing Jap shards pre 2000), but it'd be a long shot to prove it... was kinda hoping other people actually remembered it.

Faust

Post by Faust »

That is how it works inside of the demo for the name alteration topic of controlled creatures.

When changing a pet's name the space character isn't an option if I remembering this correctly.

The only way to actually get a space character was to rename a controlled creature with one already in the name field. For example, "a polar bear" could be changed to "a bear" without eliminating the 'a'and 'space' character inside of the field.

It has been awhile since testing this a year or so ago but there is some sort of validation rule when naming a pet involving space characters.

Btw, you are right nightshark about that patch... I was thinking about it completely in reverse for some reason. This new style of taming was here back when I GM'd my tamer a very long time ago. I should have remembered this very well after all those tamed bulls...

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Faust wrote:That is how it works inside of the demo.

When changing a pet's name the space character isn't an option if I remembering this correctly.

The only way to actually get a space character was to rename a controlled creature with one already in the name field. For example, "a polar bear" could be changed to "a bear" without eliminated the a and space character inside of the field.

It has been awhile since testing this a year or so ago but there is some sort of validation rule when naming a pet involving space characters.

Btw, you are right nightshark about that patch... I was thinking about it completely in reverse for some reason. This new style of taming was here back when I GM'd my tamer a very long time ago. I should have remembered this very well after all those tamed bulls...
Hm, if it's like that in the demo, maybe I had vendor bought skill that gave me the minimum taming required. I was just always under the impression that retame value at 0 meant anyone could retame.

You're right, you could rename pets with the space inside the name, but I'm certain you could not control the creature using a name that had a space in it. The game would not recognise the string "a horse" when used as speech. That was a total RunUO thing.

Faust

Post by Faust »

That was the issue night, good job on that one.

The pet wouldn't take orders until the spaces were removed. There may be some more issues related to typing the spaces in too. I am not entirely certain on this one, but the response with name commands using spaces definitely didn't work. I will try to verify all of the validation rules surrounding this issue with the name alteration after work later tonight.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I recall people using "all transfer" to get a pet to transfer with the spacd name intact, but I cant remember what era this was.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The "all" function may have simply bypassed the validation process since you are not actually saying the pets name in the command. There is no way to actually test the "all" command on the demo since it didn't exist until almost a year later after it was last compiled. So there is really no way to be certain one way or the other on that part of it.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Faust wrote:The "all" function may have simply bypassed the validation process since you are not actually saying the pets name in the command
This is how I remember it. Also how I recall getting my newly-tamed "a dragon" to follow me out of places until I could think of a cool name (I wouldn't delete the space unless I had something specific in mind already). But, this was past T2A anyways.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

It's funny, I'd encourage people to keep posting things that feel a little off to them. Stuff like this space-name stuff, for example, always seemed a little off to me. Something in the back of my head thought it was weird that I could do "a horse transfer" and have it work. I just never said anything about it here. I'm sure there's tons of little things like this elsewhere in the game. It is amazing what we remember, subconsciously. It sure wasn't something I remembered consciously, just something that "didn't feel right".

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I recall people using "all transfer" to get a pet to transfer with the spacd name intact, but I cant remember what era this was.
all transfer never worked, you're probably thinking of a RunUO shard. At some point they introduced those things where you could click on the pet and it would bring up a gump with "transfer", "kill", etc. That was the first time it was possible to transfer pets with a space in the name.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Btw, tested the "spacing issue" with pet names while doing some testing for something else on the demo this past weekend...

1. You cannot physically type the space character in the name field.

2. It is possible to use a previous space character in a follower's name field.

3. A pet will not respond to any command when a space character exists under any circumstances. This can't be tested for the "all" command since it doesn't exist in the demo though.

I would suggest someone to make a new topic about getting this issue fixed.