Need some tips for Treasure Hunter!

Moderator: Support Moderators

uofuntime

Need some tips for Treasure Hunter!

Post by uofuntime »

Hey there. I thought I'd try a class I've never played before. I'm quite confused but have been reading a lot on the types of treasures that can be found. How does this template look? I just copied it from someone else.

100 - Cartography
100 - Lockpicking
100 - Magery
100 - Meditation
100 - Musicianship
100 - Provocation
100 - Hiding

I want to concentrate on land treasures, save the SOS for a fisherman. I have a few questions though:

I realize that monsters spawn, but is there a need to kill them? Can I hide, use remove trap, unlock, and loot the chest? If so maybe I can drop the barding. Do the magical monsters reveal you by any chance?

Also for treasure maps, are the chests found in the same few spots? Because stuff I've been reading suggest that (example: marked runes for treasure map spots).

Lastly, what are some monsters that drop treasure maps?

Thanks!!!

Downs

Re: Need some tips for Treasure Hunter!

Post by Downs »

Looting the chest makes you unhide.

This will be a huge help:
http://uo.stratics.com/thb/info/maparch ... ive1.shtml

And so will this:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/basics/treasure.php

The 2nd one is fairly accurate (minus all the new monsters). And I'm sure someone will post an era-accurate link
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

uofuntime

Post by uofuntime »

thanks for the links!

and say I wanted to toy with that template... what skills are absolutely essential to the treasure hunter? must be cartography and lockpicking right? Are fighter treasure hunters useful?

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

You need cartography and lockpicking.

I play a template with stealth, so I can also easily get at any dungeon chests, also have a bit of track to prevent the occasional pk-camping-the-chest routine. Magery and Med are nice, you can kill most anything with a couple EV scrolls. The only downside to this, is that it's not nearly effective vs monsters resistant to poison (p.ele, d.spiders), but it works just fine either way. Item ID can be nice to have on the character as well. Wrestling is great for avoiding the monsters. If a balron pops out on you, getting hit 100% of the time can be deadly.

Bards do come in handy here, but I dont like them simply because, after the main spawn, monsters spawn in singles while you remove items. If you have nothing to provoke it against, well, guess you better sit there at the chest and keep moving things until another combatant shows up to make the pair. You cant really lure off the tmap monsters either, they pathfind back to the chest location fairly quickly.

This honestly seems like one of the few times that peacemake can come in handy. Dig the chest, peacemake and walk away. Come back and toss some EVs in there, provoke ect. That's always a possibility. I usually just dig and then gate myself away from the spawn point though.

It seems like most people here just have a carto/lockpick throwaway character that pops the chest, and then they bring in their main PvP'er. I think that's sort of cheating personally though. A warrior style cartographer (dexer) is limited due to the duration of time it takes to heal, the (most likely) slower travel time (due to mana ect), as well as map levels. That sort of template is limited to level 3 and lower, mabye some 4's if you single out each monster and lure it off, can forget about level 5's.

Coloram
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Coloram »

Hello

Just a note on using provoke for chests - I find that if I provoke the initial spawn, then start looting the chest, the initial monsters are still there fighting when the next ones spawn. I then just provoke a few of them onto the new one and continue. If you are quick enough at looting the chest you can get all the singles spawns provoked to the others.

Coloram
Aldarian - DG

TheEttinKing

Post by TheEttinKing »

I don't kill the monsters on level 1s cause its a waste of time also i don't do level 1s anymore i do kill the monsters on all other levels cause they pay better then the chest most the time.

Jed Clampett on drugs story By the EttinKing.

Let me tell ya story bout a man named Jed poor man barley kept his family feed then one day he was smoking on a joint and zedd hit him with his truck...Twice.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Coloram wrote:Hello

Just a note on using provoke for chests - I find that if I provoke the initial spawn, then start looting the chest, the initial monsters are still there fighting when the next ones spawn. I then just provoke a few of them onto the new one and continue. If you are quick enough at looting the chest you can get all the singles spawns provoked to the others.

Coloram
Prezactly!!!

My T-Hunter:

Music
Provo
Magery
Lockpicking
Carto
Hiding
Stealth
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Return to “New Player Help”