Brush should stop movement in woods

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
tenduil

Brush should stop movement in woods

Post by tenduil »

I'm trying to find references for this but searching 'brush' comes up with alot of RP stuff.

During T2A didn't underbrush, bushes, whatever you want to call it stop people from running? When running through the woods there are brown brushes quite frequently that used to stop a player from running but was changed sometime after the introduction of trammel. I remember as in trammel brush would not stop movement whereas in Felucca it would.

Any help here or am I off my rocker?
Faust wrote: Why are you questioning everything when you are too lazy to find this stuff yourself?
The whole approach on your part is rather ironic. Refuse to do the work in finding the information yourself but rebute anything that is presented to you.
Awesomeness

Lonebob

Re: Brush should stop movement in woods

Post by Lonebob »

I miss fur

Faust

Post by Faust »

Client side.

This is fixable on the server side but it will produce a rubberband effect instead of a flat out blocking effect like trying to walk through walls, mountains, trees, etc...

Heskey

Post by Heskey »

That's a shame, I remember those annoying tumbleweed style brambles always blocking movement.

[quote="jono1994"]ok i really think that u should add on the Elves race but still keep the original format of the game and also put in Necromancy :D[/quote]

Sinatra SUN-FoW

Post by Sinatra SUN-FoW »

I say we get a mass group of people to go place a bush over top of every static bush. No rubber band and you get blocked instantly.... haha
Exaggerated Personalities for Exaggerated Times

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Sinatra SUN-FoW wrote:I say we get a mass group of people to go place a bush over top of every static bush. No rubber band and you get blocked instantly.... haha
This could be automated (pretty sure) and is a good idea

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Van Raily

Post by Van Raily »

I don't miss brambles blocking movement at all, but it is era-accurate, and the above suggestion seems pretty good in my opinion.
Gone to greener pastures.

tenduil

Post by tenduil »

Van Raily wrote:I don't miss brambles blocking movement at all, but it is era-accurate, and the above suggestion seems pretty good in my opinion.

Ya I feel the same but I brought it up as it's something that I always considered a part of the game.
Faust wrote: Why are you questioning everything when you are too lazy to find this stuff yourself?
The whole approach on your part is rather ironic. Refuse to do the work in finding the information yourself but rebute anything that is presented to you.
Awesomeness

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I think Derrick pointed out that he could enable brambles to block movement, but it results in a rubber-band effect like when you try to move over a keg, and people complained.

Van Raily

Post by Van Raily »

If they were replaced with client-synonymous features that block movement, that would block movement, right?

I know there have been "invisible wall" features before on other shards, particularly certain areas in Ilshenar and such on OSI. Any way to make invisible barriers, by tile or whatever, to put on/under these brambles (and saplings, as I think they no longer block movement, though I could be wrong)?
Gone to greener pastures.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I think Derrick pointed out that he could enable brambles to block movement, but it results in a rubber-band effect like when you try to move over a keg, and people complained.
I'm pretty sure these rubberbanding would be accurate, actually. Even the tiny little trees would make me rubberband. Killed me a number of times back in the day when I was being chased by an angry ratman.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Mikel123 wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:I think Derrick pointed out that he could enable brambles to block movement, but it results in a rubber-band effect like when you try to move over a keg, and people complained.
I'm pretty sure these rubberbanding would be accurate, actually. Even the tiny little trees would make me rubberband. Killed me a number of times back in the day when I was being chased by an angry ratman.
Yeah, for the longest time rubberbanding was happening on OSI servers.

They're called "brambles"
Van Raily wrote:If they were replaced with client-synonymous features that block movement, that would block movement, right?

I know there have been "invisible wall" features before on other shards, particularly certain areas in Ilshenar and such on OSI. Any way to make invisible barriers, by tile or whatever, to put on/under these brambles (and saplings, as I think they no longer block movement, though I could be wrong)?
Yes, definitely possible. It would take a bit of effort to go out and block every single bramble tile though. I'm sure there would be an easier solution.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

A few pieces of information regarding blocking movement:

First, brambles, some types of rocks, and most saplings (not all) blocked movement on OSI server before the introduction of AoS. This was subequently removed during Publish 19 and a preparation client-side] patch created the rubber-banding effect for those items for a short period of time. The reason for this rubber banding effect is because the client expected to be able to run through these items, yet the server disallowed that kind of movement.

Second, RunUO is not set up to handle pre-AoS packets. This limits the client version that we can use to 4.0 or greater clients (essentially at the same time that foliage blocking was removed), which pretty much means that we would experience the rubber band effect on every bramble, sapling, and passable rock that exists on the server right now. Since that would create a condition that was never around on OSI servers, we have chosen to forgo adding this on the server.
Mikel123 wrote:
As I mentioned above, the client was aware of these items that blocked movement and would attempt to move around them or would simply stop before attempting to move forward, depending on the direction that you came at the obstacle from. This can be verified by taking an unpatched T2A client and starting up the demo. If you run at any rock or bramble, you will not rubber band off of it.

However, what is also apparent in the demo (and is something that you all should recall), is that various land tiles that had outcroppings of land called patches would sometimes block movement. These patches of land were particularly if they were on a hill because they would cause a rubber band effect (for anyone who played during UOR the same effect was felt with twigs in Fellucia). It is likely that this is the rubber band effect that you are remembering.

-------

On a related note, the housing rules from T2A disallowed house placement where certain map items were within 1 tile of the foundation of the house. This included impassable objects such as rocks and trees. If we were able to make these items impassable as was the case during the era, it would diminish the number of housing spots available on the server (not saying that we won't do it because of that, its just an interesting point).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Teucu

Post by Teucu »

This is not so hard to prevent. The only thing that should be changed is a simple file on the client side, which could be put to download or came with the installer already. I have all those filenames, although I can't remember right now, it is rather easy for me to find out which file controlled the clientside "rubberband effect" on passaing small rocks and bushes.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Heheh, yea I remember when brambles and what-not would rubberband you all the time; was extremely obnoxious, but certainly made chasing people down / running away more interesting & more player-skill driven ;).
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)