Gaining resist

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
lotus39

Re: Gaining resist

Post by lotus39 »

nightshark wrote:
LNP wrote:Yeah, the FF stops gaining resist at 55 for sure, which is what I'm at right now. Also, does it matter what the person's magery level is at when gaining resist? Like, I'm at 80 magery casting Lightning on myself. Would it be better if I had someone at 65 magery casting lightning on my self ?
It doesn't seem to make much difference, but now gains are partially based on damage, so I might even think the higher magery would help.

There have been changes lately and I would reccommend GMing eval before starting your resist gains. I recently made a tamer who does not use eval, and 50-GM magery didn't even get me to 90 resist (30 eval). Other people report gaining up to 95-96 resist by the time they GM magery, with GM eval.

I started with 50 resist and 50 magery GM eval 2 days ago

Currently at 97.3 magery
83.6 resist

the spread started with lighting bolt and got worse through ebolts.

Soemthing is fuxxored with resist

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

lotus39 wrote:
nightshark wrote:
LNP wrote:Yeah, the FF stops gaining resist at 55 for sure, which is what I'm at right now. Also, does it matter what the person's magery level is at when gaining resist? Like, I'm at 80 magery casting Lightning on myself. Would it be better if I had someone at 65 magery casting lightning on my self ?
It doesn't seem to make much difference, but now gains are partially based on damage, so I might even think the higher magery would help.

There have been changes lately and I would reccommend GMing eval before starting your resist gains. I recently made a tamer who does not use eval, and 50-GM magery didn't even get me to 90 resist (30 eval). Other people report gaining up to 95-96 resist by the time they GM magery, with GM eval.

Currently at 97.3 magery
83.6 resist

Wow, that's even worse than how mine went with 30 eval. I was just short of 90.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

lotus39

Post by lotus39 »

nightshark wrote:
lotus39 wrote:
nightshark wrote:

Currently at 97.3 magery
83.6 resist

Wow, that's even worse than how mine went with 30 eval. I was just short of 90.

The gap is closing 97.7 magery

84.7 resist

LNP

Post by LNP »

I just had my GM healer/anatomy char heal every 45 seconds for EB and FS and that took very few bandages. Also, I put an If statement for if health <=50 do not cast, right above the cast spell line in Razor. This is perfect for macroing in houses, even in small houses if both characters stand in the center tile.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I want to add my recent experiences with gaining resist.

I've recently started 2 new characters, one of which is to be used as a future PKer character (has GM eval), and the other is my animal tamer (had 30 eval).

The animal tamer (30 eval) began by casting lightning with 1000 regs, and went from 55-65 skill with those 1000 lightning regs. This was consistent with the pre-patch gains. He is at 99.8 magery now, I never bothered to finish off the last 2 points of magery as I haven't used him for anything yet. When I finished up my magery, he was at about 91 resisting spells. It's taken me roughly 2500 FS regs from that point, with a GM eval caster to reach 93.5, roughly 1 gain per 100 FS regs.

My new PK on the other hand, started from 55 resist/50 magery and used about 1500 lightning regs. His resisting spells is only at 61.5 at this stage. I believe that the high eval only helps progress at high levels of resist, and before that having eval will HINDER your progress. There are obviously certain levels of eval that will help your progress as you progress through the stages of resist. Simply GMing eval from the start is not the most efficient method.

Update: 13/8/10
Casted 2500 ebolts last night on GM eval caster,
magery went from 65.3-83.4 real skill (+18.1)
resist went from 61.5-74.5 (+13.0)

Definitely slower than before, I'm gonna thoroughly test this and come up with the best levels of eval to gain.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Vilenarios
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Vilenarios »

I went from 91.4 to 91.6 resist with 500 FS regs, casting on the top of my tower. I have 100 Magery and 100 Eval Int.

Is this the rate at which resist is supposed to be gaining? Is there something I am missing other than cast FS on yourself over and over?

BlackLeaf

Post by BlackLeaf »

Vilenarios wrote:I went from 91.4 to 91.6 resist with 500 FS regs, casting on the top of my tower. I have 100 Magery and 100 Eval Int.
same here .4-.5 gains per 1000 fs,im at 96
actually,gains was faster before i swiched to 100 eval (at around 92),i remember 1-2 gains per 100 fs at that case.i think somthing is fuxxed with this.
"The single most important PVP spell,however,is Recall."
-T2A official strategy guide

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

If someone wants to help me with testing this on test center, we can nail it down and find the best way to macro resist. I've done a little testing so far but haven't had the opportunity to macro lately.

Hypothesis 1:
Varying levels of eval are more efficient than simply GMing eval.

Hypothesis 2:
Eval has no effect on gains.

Or, as people currently say (based 100% on speculation), GMing eval immediately is the best way.

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

For what it's worth, this is how I got GM resist on Napa. I've got what looks like 2 GM healers bandaging me on the boat, and 2 GM mages/stoics summoning the daemons using scrolls (used scrolls since you're guaranteed to succeed). Works similar to the mage hirelings, but you don't have to wait for them to get their mana back. More expensive, too.
Attachments
Jan. 6, 2002
Jan. 6, 2002
gmresist.png (71.83 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
A conversation during character creation:
Me: Do you think I should use my old character name..?
Him: I think you overestimate how famous you are. I doubt anyone remembers you anymore.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Some numbers if anyone still cares:

GM mage(s) with 0 eval took resist from 95.1 to 100 in 6529 FS casts.

Prepatch, I had a GM mage take it from 94.3 to 100 in ~5900 casts.

A difference, but not so huge I'd rule out chance -- or worry much about it.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

i know this is a bit old but- I use about 30 white wyrms, place them out of guard zone on a boat or what have you and have the target in the guarded area (guard zone) obviously on land. Have the wyrms all guard the tamer, have him go grey and then have the person who is to gain resist attack the now grey tamer.

In the macro i have him walk back a step out of cast range every now and then to clinch the deal on mana regen for the wyrms. I just recently tested this again today. went from 50 to 72.9 resist in 2 hrs so far, and no reg cost yay for lamer tamers :)