Windemere woods spawn level

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
rsuperior

Windemere woods spawn level

Post by rsuperior »

Hi everyone. First let me mention that I'm very new here, but I *love* the era accuracy so far, and I agree with T2A being the most fun era of UO, so I think this is going to be a very fun place to play.

The only weird thing that stands out for me so far is the lack of animal and monster spawn in the forest north of the north road from Minoc to Vesper. That whole corner of the continent seems curiously devoid of life to me. I don't remember it being that way.

Here's what I do remember (unfortunately my memory of T2A on Chesapeake is mixed with much later memories on Drachenfels, but then this is mostly low- and mid-level monsters and plain animals, so why would it have really changed much?):

1) The main body of woods north of the Minoc-Vesper road (but before you get all the way north to the fingery peninsulas) had Lizardmen. Not a huge number, but if you ran a straight line (well, as straight a line as possible) from Minoc bridge to the east coast of the continent, you'd definitely see a few. There would also be (even fewer) ogres and ettins, but definitely there were some.
2) The little, round copse of woods just south of the Minoc-Vesper road near Minoc bridge had a fast skeleton spawn and occasional mongbats. Good for brand-newbies.
3) Out on those fingery northern peninsulas, there would be a few harpies, ogres, ettins and trolls (more out here than inland), and there would even be the occasional elemental right near the coast.
4) The general trend in difficulty/number of monsters would increase the closer you got to Sacrifice.
5) There would be wandering healers and priests of Mondain. There would also be just a couple of gypsy or brigand camps.
6) There were, of course, deer / cows / goats / sheep / typical animal spawn.
7) There were reagent spawns.

Now since I've started playing here, I haven't made an *exhaustive* search of the area (didn't actually go all the way to Sacrifice) but I did notice a very large empty area, so I thought I'd share what I remember it being like.

Does this sound about right to others? I hope I'm remember the era correctly.

Thanks again to those that are keeping this era of UO alive!
Last edited by rsuperior on Wed May 12, 2010 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

rsuperior

Re: Sacrifice forest, or woods north of vesper and east of minoc

Post by rsuperior »

Hi everyone. Well, I made a more complete survey of the area I'm talking about. It not quite so devoid of monsters after all. I eventually saw one or two of almost every monster I originally named after working my way from Minoc to Sacrifice, plus brigands and orc camps.

Still, I remember the monsters being a little more dense than this, and I definitely remember there being ordinary animals and reagents, too. If people feel that the monster level is right the way it is, well, that's no big deal I guess, but I'm pretty certain about the animals and reagents. And a healer here and there?

Anyway, thanks again.

Derrick

Re: Windemere woods spawn level

Post by Derrick »

Fixing this, and sorry for the trouble. Windmere woods spawns were turned off on Monday night and never got turned back on. We were experiance some server side lag and Windmere Woods is a good candiate for reducing server load due to it's size, it turned out that wasn't the problem, but i forgot to turn it back on.

Welcome to Second Age!

I appreciate the notes on those spawn areas, i'll compare to what we have.

Thanks!
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Ahh, that area near sacrifice (and around treasure map locations 30-33) has been on & off with spawn for a long time... mostly off.

I had a rune in my castle that was marked for somewhere near T-map spot 33. And on my murderer character, I would recall to a rune library and then recall to that spot to be "picked up" with a gate by my alt, inside the castle. It was a great setup... because while I also had a rune inside the courtyard that I kept in my bank, Buc's Den was often teeming with people - red and blue - looking to make sure one never had time to access their bank in between ebolts.

Anyways, treasure map 33 was the perfect spot, because I could recall there from a rune library, and anyone else in the library would have no idea which spot I recalled to - there's 200 or so. And I could take my time switching to another character to gate, and not have to worry about ALT-Tabbing back to my murderer to find an air elemental kicking the crap out of me.

rsuperior

Post by rsuperior »

Derrick,

That makes sense. Thanks for the quick response and the welcome! And you're welcome for the list of the spawn that I remember.

Mikel123,

Neat. I can imagine how the general quietness of the area comes in handy for people. I saw lots of houses in nice spots, as well as a player town on one peninsula.

Well, see you out there!

CandyStar

Post by CandyStar »

Ooh, I had a house here on Europa. An awesome tower. This thread brings back memories :D