Accuracy in the face of stupidity.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Xaelin

Accuracy in the face of stupidity.

Post by Xaelin »

Has anyone else wondered why in the quest for accuracy that the shard utilizes broken and stupidly inconvenient systems that add nothing to the game except mild irritation?

For instance, the vendor sell five limit. Yes, this is era accurate. But is it an intelligent and well thought out system or idea? I would argue that it's completely pointless and repetitive. We all use Razor, we all set up sell agents for bulk goods. It makes selling some craft items take about a half of a minute.
Completely pointless, yet completely accurate.

Bandages, who will honestly say cutting one bandage at a time is entertaining, useful, or important to the long-term success of the shard? If anything it's just one more dumb thing you have to do on the path to successful character building. RunUO by default I'm fairly certain has a pile of cloth entirely consumed into bandages with one use of a scissor.

I'm sure there are many more accurate yet retarded things that will come to me in time from playing again. But in the mean time feel free to add any other completely accurate, yet entirely repetitive and broken systems that you've loathed in your Ultima careers.

Derrick

Re: Accuracy in the face of stupidity.

Post by Derrick »

Accuracy is the goal.

I can speak to your question about the sell limit, there's a very logical reason for this one, here as on OSI; vendors adjust their prices based on their inventory.

What side effects that cutting bandages one at a time may have it not for us to say. The goal is accuracy, at the expense of vanity.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Coloram
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Coloram »

If you start to change elements of the game mechanics because they are inconvenient, then you open the door for other people to say "well I don't like something else so you have to change it too"
Aldarian - DG

Xaelin

Post by Xaelin »

It's interesting that you chose the wording accuracy against vanity. Mostly because it makes absolutely no sense.

Vendor issue aside, it's hardly a vain act if bandages were to cut an entire pile at once. Nor is it somehow more of an accomplishment if I simply loop Razor with three accounts to hasten it.

If anything, it would alleviate bandwidth costs in small amounts as people like me won't do things like multi-client task it.

Accuracy is great, for things that actually matter. For simple little tasks, making them a pain in the ass is just making them a pain in the ass.

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

One-at-a-time bandages creates a niche for people to sell bandages to those who don't have the time/motivation/knowledge to macro out stacks themselves.

That's one more small thing that can increase player interaction = good for the shard. imho.

Faust

Post by Faust »

When cutting bandages one at a time was mentioned by me to be inaccurate over a year ago several people ranted with frustration asking what purpose would something like this have outside of the sake of being era accurate. One comment that I mentioned was a market for bandages to be sold. Those same people said that this would never happen. However, you see people selling and buying bandages on player vendors to this very day. These sort of little changes, in some shape or form, does have an impact on someone or somewhere however minor they may seem.

Xaelin

Post by Xaelin »

Faust wrote:When cutting bandages one at a time was mentioned by me to be inaccurate over a year ago several people ranted with frustration asking what purpose would something like this have outside of the sake of being era accurate. One comment that I mentioned was a market for bandages to be sold. Those same people said that this would never happen. However, you see people selling and buying bandages on player vendors to this very day. These sort of little changes, in some shape or form, does have an impact on someone or somewhere however minor they may seem.

I fail to see how that wouldn't occur with single cut piles. You could argue that bandages being sold in bulk is solely the result of making bandage cutting tedious and repetitive. But that's to ignore the already repetitive and tedious process of gathering either the wool or cotton, to spin into thread or yarn, and then to apply to a loom.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Xaelin wrote:It's interesting that you chose the wording accuracy against vanity. Mostly because it makes absolutely no sense.

Accuracy is great, for things that actually matter. For simple little tasks, making them a pain in the ass is just making them a pain in the ass.
This is something that you are clearly wrong about on many levels. Who decides what matters when it comes to accuracy? Are you the person that decides this? Should this be Derrick's little playground of development based on his views of what the era was? How about the elite special interest groups that lobby for their changes that happen on all other shards? What about taking the opinion of everyone on the shard that may change a year later?

Why do you think all other shards that "claim" to be accurate or based off of the Pre:UOR, T2a, or whatever version of the game timeframes end up failing?

Those shards that don't actually replicate the era as a whole like that end up crumbling with in after a few years if they even manage to last that long. The staff, players, lobbyist, or whatever end up altering it so badly that it resembles something that is completely different. When you immediately venture off into another direction that isn't accurate the flood gates open with the moaning, complaining, whining, and anything else to do with griping from each and every single person that wants the shard to be their way.

The process here is simple, non-era accurate, no.

This shard does not aim to develop the t2a era into something that it wasn't and making even the smallest modification would create a game of an era that never existed.

PS
Bandages cutting one at a time makes the process slow and tedius. Why would someone spend more money on a player vendor when they can go to an npc and buy it for cheaper with one slice when there are well over 10-20 vendors in the world selling 20-80 bolts(2000-8000 bandages) at any given time? There would be no point in selling the bandages on a player run vendor if there was no profit to be made. This is common sense economics.
Last edited by Faust on Wed May 19, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

punk

Post by punk »

Xaelin wrote:I fail to see how that wouldn't occur with single cut piles. You could argue that bandages being sold in bulk is solely the result of making bandage cutting tedious and repetitive. But that's to ignore the already repetitive and tedious process of gathering either the wool or cotton, to spin into thread or yarn, and then to apply to a loom.
The goal is complete 100% objectivity on a particular era. That way no one can whine and lobby for a particular change, everyone knows exactly what the end result should be. The minute one group of whiners gets their little inaccurate change put in (cutting bandages in a stack), another group will say, "well that group got their change in despite accuracy, we demand our change." At the end of the day, it shouldn't be subjective, its not a democracy, its not one admins/founders vision of what he wants UO to be, or what the majority of people think they want, its T2A to a T plain and simple.
Erik [Hu]

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Xaelin wrote:It's interesting that you chose the wording accuracy against vanity. Mostly because it makes absolutely no sense.
Vanity was in reference to trying to redesign the game. I do not think I can re-design UO better than it was in 1998-1999. No one else has been able to.

That belief is the core basis of this shard.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Xaelin

Post by Xaelin »

When one attempts to go against the slippery slope argument, one must first realize that it's a straw-man argument. For every positive reason I could argue this change would bring, you can argue an infinite number of negatives as to why if this change were implemented it would result in horrible changes and modifications that would somehow destroy the integrity of the entire world.

So with that said, I'm ignoring all of that.

If you buy a bolt of cloth it results in a fraction of 2.4 gold pieces per bandage. The current rate at which bandages are sold in bulk is approximately 2-3gp. For the same reason a player would be too lazy to manufacture bandages on their own accord, a player would still buy bulk bandages from a player.

See, I'm not lazy, I go out, I harvest my materials and then convert them into the goods I need whenever I can. So my bandages only cost me time.
I'm the kind of player regardless of any change made, will never be lazy enough to purchase bandages from another player.

Thus I'm still unconvinced this change would have any negative consequences. Although I see any ideas that veer from purely era-accurate will not truly be considered.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

While there is room for suggestions outside the realm of strict "it wasn't on OSI so it can't be here", it's the core mechanics, i.e., the way items, skills, mobiles, combat, etc work that we hold that it is critical to preserve.

I can say there were a lot of changes outside of our cutoff date that I personally think it'd be neat to have, but it's not what UOSA is.

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

Xaelin wrote:Although I see any ideas that veer from purely era-accurate will not truly be considered.
Good! There are things that I would like to see changed from the T2A period, but they weren't that way then so I know they won't happen and don't bring them up. Worst thing you have to do with this issue is use your 3 accounts to cut cloth. When my red is wearing off short term counts, he gets some scissors and cloth to cut.
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

Derrick wrote:While there is room for suggestions outside the realm of strict "it wasn't on OSI so it can't be here", it's the core mechanics, i.e., the way items, skills, mobiles, combat, etc work that we hold that it is critical to preserve..
Reading that I have to ask - Would there ever be any chance of player craftable archery butts? Or obtaining them through rewards? They are effectively just that skill's training dummy, and they are already in a lot of places around the world so it's not a new item.

Or am I way off on what might be in or out?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

We would not ever add this (or anything) to crafting, but this would definately be a cantidate for a "unique item" under the silver/trophy turn in thing.