Resist Session, Part II

benny-

Re: Resist Session, Part II

Post by benny- »

As I said before, we're the only group (to my knowledge) to have held a resist session since the patch. After our last session, we received very little feedback to develop conclusive data. It's all mere speculation at this point.

What is known....

We had participants going from 40's to the 80's during our last session.

Gains are (partially) dependent on dmg received.

Therefore I'm rather skeptical that sessions are effective at all for higher end gains (gming)...to me, considering gm'ing is so hard even with 40 or so hit flamestrikes...I somehow doubt getting hit by 5-10 hit meteor swarms is gonna do it....I'd really hate to discourage people from attending in the hopes that we can get a few last skill points for a handful of people.

To me, Id much prefer getting a dozen people from practically no resist, to a considerable amount (80's)...at least to a level where the chars can now stand a chance against pks.

Again, it could be debated the cost effectiveness of doing a resist session compared to individual macroing. But considering the cost of getting said dozen people from 40's - 80's and considering the time and resources it'd take (very few of our members have gm mages to macro off of for example), I still think this is by far the better approach.

I'm estimating around 10-12 targets for this session again, most with a modest amount of resist...I think it'll work out fine.
- Elisud

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hey this is Karl Franz (the new guy) ;p I'd like to join as well :) I have 98.8 resist and would like to knock the last 1.2 off but if you need casters instead then I'd gladly do that as well :)

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

Kraken wrote:I have 98.8 resist and would like to knock the last 1.2 off but if you need casters instead
If your resist is that high, I would suggest that you donate a caster instead of be a target. At the last resist session, which took place the day after the patch, I had a char which was at 96.6 resist and I got absolutely no gains at all. Basically, all I was doing was taking damage away from other characters thereby reducing their gains. After about an hour or so of 0 gains, I took my target away and was only there as a caster.

This time, I am bringing a caster and a target.

The basic idea after the patch is less targets-more casters. The more people we can get to come as caster only, the better gains our targets are gonna get. Therefore, in your case, it would be much more helpful to the group as a whole if you came as a caster only.
|| Atx Mini Mall | Atraxi's Great Real Estate ||

IRC: Atraxi on @#bpd +#NEW #SecondAge #C^V

<GreenPlastic> I want Five Guys inside me right now
Millerisfuntoplay wrote:Atraxi pwned me =(

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Caster it is! I'd be more then happy to help cast.

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

Kraken wrote:Caster it is! I'd be more then happy to help cast.
Thank you. I'm just afraid that people won't come unless they can gain resist. Anyone who participates has the chance to gain something (unless they are GM on that skill already, of course)

I mean, casters can gain Magery, healers can gain healing, etc.

And like I said, the higher the caster:target ratio, the more gains the targets will have.

As benny and I both said, to the best of our knowledge, we are the only group that has held resist sessions since the patch. This whole thing is an experiment. Nobody even knows if resist sessions are even worth it anymore.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Is this ONLY open to C^V and allies or can I bring a caster?

benny-

Post by benny- »

Sorry Laz, it is indeed for members and allies only.
- Elisud

Maleus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Maleus »

bradleycabbie wrote:the higher the caster:target ratio, the more gains the targets will have.
I'm not sure that this is true. Regardless of how many casters you have, each M.S. will only do a set amount of damage that is dependent on the number of "gainers." All I can see additional casters doing is making the session go faster.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

benny- wrote:Sorry Laz, it is indeed for members and allies only.
OK. I was hoping to bring a caster but its ok.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Maleus wrote:
bradleycabbie wrote:the higher the caster:target ratio, the more gains the targets will have.
I'm not sure that this is true. Regardless of how many casters you have, each M.S. will only do a set amount of damage that is dependent on the number of "gainers." All I can see additional casters doing is making the session go faster.
Weeeeeelll kinda. It will go faster, but only because there will be more individual MS casted, which in turn means more spells have been received by targets, which means more oportunity to gain (IF the damage is there), which means more gains.

I do agree that the number of targets will define the max resist you can gain. And, the more I think about it, I also believe this might not be the most efficient method to GM. The reasoning being that you would need to have at the most 3 targets (which we do not know with certainty). Let's assume you need to go through 10k MS regs to get from 93 to GM (which is also mere speculation). 10k MS regs = 140k gold = 23.3k FS regs = 7.7k FS regs per participant, which is more or less what you would need to GM anyways from 93.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

The session already started, but I forgot to put my starting Resist. My Target Davros started at 44.1.

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

Okay, I guess I'll go 1st. If anyone knows why everyone died, I'd be interested in finding out. Also, If anyone knows how many targets and casters we had, lemme know.

Davros Skaro started at 44.1 and ended up at 75.5, for a gain of...31.4!!!

Wow, not bad. I guess they do still work!!

CrackMayn7

Post by CrackMayn7 »

@Bradley I said it like a million times last night, but the reason your macro kept fouling up was for some reason (atleast for me) you had to retarget the bandies every so often.

Im not positive but I think everytime someone added to/removed from/or even moved the bandie pile it mucked up the target. I had to retarget several times throughout the night.

Ullic started with 56.9 and ended with 80.8 (logging around 3am). So yeah they defiantely still work.

Thanks to the casters/healers and everyone who organized this. Really appreciate it.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Baldric began at 50, and ended at 80.6.

Next time I think we need bandies in a bag. Having then loose like that was messing up everyone's restock macro.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Astinus

Post by Astinus »

I think I got kicked sometime in the middle of the night. I went from 85.2 to 87.3, though I don't think I was there for much longer than 3.5 hours, which is around when I went to bed. Probably 4-5 hours. Still, not that big of a gain in that amount of time.

It seems that normal resist sessions now only work effectively until early-to-mid 80s.