future house changes?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

future house changes?

Post by son »

Can someone break down what we can expect in future house changes?

How are new players going to deal with walls if they cannot be co owned?
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: future house changes?

Post by fooka03 »

son wrote:Can someone break down what we can expect in future house changes?
Co-owners will eventually be removed entirely from the game. Only friends will exist.
son wrote:How are new players going to deal with walls if they cannot be co owned?
They can't. You'll nee to be a lot more careful with using your house key and/or come up with more creative security measures.
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

Lord Blaze

Post by Lord Blaze »

son wrote:How are new players going to deal with walls if they cannot be co owned?
Own one house for all you characters and let the home owner be a character you don't use much like a mule. Then you can co-own and be co-owned to as many houses as you want. Might get rid of a lot of the houses sitting vacant just being refreshed.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

This is huge news for new players, and now I hear D might be getting rid of co owners all together?
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

Doesn't matter who it's affecting, co-owners aren't era accurate. My hopes is that this will lead to improved housing utilization (as opposed to the tons of empty housing on the shard)
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

Faust

Post by Faust »

son wrote:This is huge news for new players, and now I hear D might be getting rid of co owners all together?
Are you not familiar with the housing controversy?

We are using '98 housing rules where co-owners did not exist until the November '99 patch that implemented them. However, going completely with the '98 housing creates many contradictions in itself. IE: runebooks, potion kegs, skill management, etc... were all a part of the November 23rd patch along with the housing changes. If the shard begins to finally transition itself to the '98 housing the rest of the November 23rd patch would need to be wiped clean too.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

You realize those "houses sitting empty" is the ONLY GOLD SINK IN THE ENTIRE GAME?
[broken image]

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

if people use detect hidden EVERYTIME they close the door behind them, this shouldnt be a problem.

Lord Cavewight of GL

Post by Lord Cavewight of GL »

Kingsley wrote:
tekai wrote:trust me this negatively impacts growth, i had a newb come up to me and sell a large brick to me for 20k he was so pissed he couldnt find a spot i doubt he even plays anymore.

How exactly does a lack of open housing space "negatively impact growth"? Ive seen this idea thrown around a bit and ive never understood the rational behind it.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Faust wrote:However, going completely with the '98 housing creates many contradictions in itself. IE: runebooks, potion kegs, skill management, etc... were all a part of the November 23rd patch along with the housing changes. If the shard begins to finally transition itself to the '98 housing the rest of the November 23rd patch would need to be wiped clean too.
I disagree accounting for the language of the patch notes.

Co-owners Nov 23 1999 2:50PM CST
All of the features for co-owners are currently available for testing on the Test Center Shard.

This was not live in era, so maybe it should be removed. However all the other Nov 23 patch items were live in-era.. that's where the difference is.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Faust

Post by Faust »

Dagon wrote:
Faust wrote:However, going completely with the '98 housing creates many contradictions in itself. IE: runebooks, potion kegs, skill management, etc... were all a part of the November 23rd patch along with the housing changes. If the shard begins to finally transition itself to the '98 housing the rest of the November 23rd patch would need to be wiped clean too.
I disagree accounting for the language of the patch notes.

Co-owners Nov 23 1999 2:50PM CST
All of the features for co-owners are currently available for testing on the Test Center Shard.

This was not live in era, so maybe it should be removed. However all the other Nov 23 patch items were live in-era.. that's where the difference is.
I beg to differ since the comment about test center could mean various things just to test the feature. For example, those that don't own a house(and there were plenty since space was very limited) can go on test center to test it out, etc...

Here is just one source that mentions co-owners with the patch only just a day after the November 23rd update was published...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... e518ede585

There are several other sources that discuss co-owners from the same patch.

Lord Cavewight of GL

Post by Lord Cavewight of GL »

Kingsley wrote:
Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:How exactly does a lack of open housing space "negatively impact growth"? Ive seen this idea thrown around a bit and ive never understood the rational behind it.

try playing this game without a place to store your crap, its pretty depressing
Every player who started OSI past early 98 had to "play this game without a place to store your crap" (because the bank box obviously doesn't count.) and the game saw some of the largest growth it ever had during this time.

Most of the posts and threads I have seen on this can simply be boiled down to "I want a house". :roll:

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:Every player who started OSI past early 98 had to "play this game without a place to store your crap" (because the bank box obviously doesn't count.) and the game saw some of the largest growth it ever had during this time.
I don't think the same applies here since (i) you are talking about a 12 year old game, (ii) that is not massively publiziced like other MMO's thus the influx of new players is not as fast, (iii) where you play for free, and if you decide to quit, the only thing you've lost is a bit of time, and finally (iv) because you now know there are other options out there.

Early '98 every gaming/pc and even news content magazine was talking about UO and it's phenomena and how there was nothing like it in the market. That was incredible publicity. 12 years later, only a very few of us "hardcore" UOers remember the game like it was.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay