Sparring to gain skill.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Sparring to gain skill.

Post by MatronDeWinter »

This thread has a link to a guild website with a few pictures (Almost all show the players using the in-game chat!). Anyway, there are quite a bit of them sparring eachother for skill gain. I know that I definately did this in-era, which makes me question why it gives a decreased gain on UOSA?

What is EA?

Sissypants

Re: Sparring to gain skill.

Post by Sissypants »

I recall sparring for skill gain. One of the guilds I was in on GL would hold big old skill gain orgies at the guild house. One guy would dress up in full plate. Then he'd be surrounded by people who would beat on him with daggers, smith hammers/wands, butcher knives and fists.

Memory is fuzzy, but I remember the skill gains being very good, much better than doing it the "old fashioned way".

Faust

Post by Faust »

Gaining combat skills/stats was made to be different from fighting npc's in late '97 with this following patch.
12/9/97 - http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=1997_Patch_Notes wrote:Stat and skill advancement for fighting other players has been drastically reduced.
This feature was implemented on UOSA way before the demo was ever decompiled. The word 'drastic' was used literally based on my recollection when Derrick put it on the shard. However, the exact nature of this mechanic could be extracted from the demo now days.

There was no doubt that npc's offered better gains even up until the UOR era when players would hire npc fighters for macroing over night instead of doing it with another player.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

I remember GMing my fighting skills by sparring...without healing macros and 100% attended. When I got here and proposed a sparring session, I got a very low turnout due to the gain by sparring here. :roll:
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Faust wrote:Gaining combat skills/stats was made to be different from fighting npc's in late '97 with this following patch.
12/9/97 - http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=1997_Patch_Notes wrote:Stat and skill advancement for fighting other players has been drastically reduced.
This feature was implemented on UOSA way before the demo was ever decompiled. The word 'drastic' was used literally based on my recollection when Derrick put it on the shard. However, the exact nature of this mechanic could be extracted from the demo now days.

There was no doubt that npc's offered better gains even up until the UOR era when players would hire npc fighters for macroing over night instead of doing it with another player.
Yeah, I think we need to look into the demo for this. Reduced from what is the question I'd ask. For all we know, it could have been enhanced prior to 12/9/97, and then "reduced" to be equivalent to sparring with NPCs.

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

Pirul wrote:I remember GMing my fighting skills by sparring...without healing macros and 100% attended. When I got here and proposed a sparring session, I got a very low turnout due to the gain by sparring here. :roll:
Bone Knights was faster. That's where I used to go, but that was in part for the entertainment factor when the mad bombers would show up.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Bone Knights was good too, but it was so crowded it made it a griefer fest.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

Pirul wrote:Bone Knights was good too, but it was so crowded it made it a griefer fest.
I used to step back and hide or invis when I saw them coming, and then watch the festivities. Good times!

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

I doubt anything would be gained from the demo since it was on the live server when it was eventually changed, past the demo.

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

I remember sparring for combat skill, too. Sure, you could probably do it faster fighting other things, but this was safe and convenient, especially for wrestling.
Last edited by Reena Dae on Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A conversation during character creation:
Me: Do you think I should use my old character name..?
Him: I think you overestimate how famous you are. I doubt anyone remembers you anymore.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Dagon wrote:I doubt anything would be gained from the demo since it was on the live server when it was eventually changed, past the demo.
??? it was changed in '97, demo is late 98.

i would also spar players for skill occasionally, though most my gain was done on harpies/bone knights. harpy gain would get so slow by about 90 skill that bone knights were obviously the way to go. here you can just gain from a llama 0->GM faster than if you went llamas->harpies->bone knights
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Faust

Post by Faust »

Dagon wrote:I doubt anything would be gained from the demo since it was on the live server when it was eventually changed, past the demo.
The penalty was implemented in '97 almost a year before the demo's last compilation so it definitely shoudl be there without a doubt.

meltedmantis

Post by meltedmantis »

I gm'ed fighting skills many many times way way after 97... like 98 and 99. its significantly lower here then it was in t2a

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

:shock:
Dude let me guess you just wasted a thousand single cut bandages :lol:

Be careful you might ressurect Josh Lee digging in these old posts :lol:
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

meltedmantis

Post by meltedmantis »

hehe, luckily no. But me and a friend ( the same friend whom I used to spar/train with back in 98 & 99 ) got a small house, and thought we would do a little training... he has gm weapon skill, I am new to this shard so I had 55 skill. Unfortunately, 20 bandages worth of cleaver fighting and I gained .2 . at this skill I can gain nearly .5 killing most random animals lol.