Event Suggestions (REVISED)

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Event Suggestions (REVISED)

Post by Mens Rea »

1) Allow ressurection in team duels.

- This would put an emphasis onto the winning team to ensure that they do not allow their opponent the opportunity to get 61 mana to res and heal, and for dexers it would require them to stand still for a long period of time to ressurect their teammate. I think it would also allow for some rather exciting comebacks from the brink of defeat.

- In terms of negative results to this change I can't think of anything too dire, other than people who can't handle 2 vs 1 becoming annoyed. I don't see this as a problem, actually.

2) Create more dueling pits, with less quasi-static tiles, less/no viewing room and have them spread further across the shard.

- The lag caused by people talking, running around, mounting and dismounting animals combined with the large custom area creates lag. While it is not unbearable, it is problematic. I think having a semi-closed door dueling system whereby there are only the participants in a small area is preferable in terms of countering the lag produced by the factors mentioned above.

3) If people leave the dueling area, take away their invulnerability.

- If they die, hard luck, out of the duelling ^^

Derrick

Re: Event Suggestions (REVISED)

Post by Derrick »

Number two is a big one that's been planned for some time now. I know the lag can be bad in there for people on slow connections. We plan to significantly reduce the item count.

Number 3, is also a huge problem. Working on it.

On number one, need more feedback. I don't really want to increase the time of these matches, and it seems like this might do that, but in the end it's up to you guys on this one.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Derrick wrote:...On number one, need more feedback. I don't really want to increase the time of these matches, and it seems like this might do that, but in the end it's up to you guys on this one.
You never fail to impress me Derrick. Best freeshard GM ever.

I think the lack of rebuttal to my notion suggests it is not an idea with much contention. In the unlikely event during a team duel that a teammate has the time/mana/skill to begin ressing their teammate, it would be an awfully hard task- probably resulting in death. I think it would shorten team duels more than elongate them, simply because healing someone else who has no ability to heal/protect you back opens a large vulnerability on the part of the person ressing.

It would make things a bit more interesting if the team who is ahead doesn't take advantage of their advantage, allowing their opponent to ressurect.

BloodyBandage

Post by BloodyBandage »

not a bad idea in theory Mens Rea but I think you answered it for yourself; you would res your teammate with no health and you would be almost dead by then making ressing a teammate a bad tactic. If you or your teammate are going to die in a 2 on 2, as he's about to die you need to make sure you at least get a kill hit on one of their guys. Makes for good fun when both teams go for the kill rather than blue healing their own guy ;).

About number 2. Would this take away the ability for the crowd to talk to the duelers or vice versa (kinda like that hehe)? Would these pits be just for events? Sounds interesting.

venox

Post by venox »

two archers could just sit next two each other and apply aids. if ones dies the aids would already be half applied and resurrect the team member in a instant.
but im not sure how effective x-healing with aids is in events???

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

venox wrote:two archers could just sit next two each other and apply aids. if ones dies the aids would already be half applied and resurrect the team member in a instant.
but im not sure how effective x-healing with aids is in events???
That would be a good tactic whether or not there was ressurection...
BloodyBandage wrote:not a bad idea in theory Mens Rea but I think you answered it for yourself; you would res your teammate with no health and you would be almost dead by then making ressing a teammate a bad tactic. If you or your teammate are going to die in a 2 on 2, as he's about to die you need to make sure you at least get a kill hit on one of their guys. Makes for good fun when both teams go for the kill rather than blue healing their own guy ;).
I see what you're saying, in that allowing ressurection may be a red herring. BUT, if the opponents are standing around, not meditating, and generally doing a piss poor effort of defeating a single opponent, then it should be the right of the remaining teammate to at least try to res their teammate. In my opinion allowing ressurection in team duels would not tip the scales any which way, it would simply be an option which may sometimes be useful.

I don't see how it could cause significant problems, other than to incompetant 2vs1ers :p

Arcanus

Post by Arcanus »

With regards to the problem of spectators lagging the dueling pits , what one shard (xxxxxxx) did was make spectators invisible to the people dueling.

alatar

Post by alatar »

Allowing ressurection in events does apply stat-loss for those players with 5 or greater counts.
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Aye, good point. This is still up for debate, we could disable that but I see more complexity to the issue now.