Creating a Dexxer/Warrior?

Topics related to Second Age
violator
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Creating a Dexxer/Warrior?

Post by violator »

Just curious about the approach others might take when creating a Dexxer/Warrior character.

Obviously we have:

STR: 100
DEX: 100
INT: 25

Skills:

Swordsmanship
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Resisting Spells

Any of these that you would change? What other skills?

What two/three skills would you start off with when distributing the starting skill points? Why?
Death smiles at us all, but all a man can do is smile back.

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Creating a Dexxer/Warrior?

Post by BobDobbs »

You definitely want to start with 50 healing. Its a pain.

Resist is super easy to get to 50, don't take that.

I'd go with healing and magery.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Look through the Guides... there are arguments for fencing and macing, especially fencing. But, swords is best for a new character. In the long term, I think fencing is best, but by the time you'll know or care about that, it will take you all of 10k and 24 hours to go from GM swords to GM fencing, which is no big deal.

I'd say healing and magery are the two to start off with.

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

If you're going against monsters, parry can be useful, as can magery for recalling places.
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

fencing instead of swords.

KydVicious

Post by KydVicious »

Fencing FTW then Swords then Macing, because speed kills.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Fencing
Poisoning
Resist
Magery
Anatomy
Healing
Tactics...

Might be rough getting poison Gmed if you are just starting out but once you do you'd be quite the pain in the neck
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Fencing
Poisoning
Resist
Magery
Anatomy
Healing
Tactics...
That's a very powerful template if played right. A lot of people will argue till the end of time about having poisoning on your fighter, but it lets you farm higher end monsters faster. It also lets you dominate over any other warrior you may have to fight against, as well as keeps a constant "high pressure" when you fight mages
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

morganm

Post by morganm »

Why waste skill on your warrior with poisoning? Have a mule poison up your weapons before you go?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

morganm wrote:Why waste skill on your warrior with poisoning? Have a mule poison up your weapons before you go?
Because you would switch out weapons too often. With Deadly poison it wears off fast. You'd be carrying way too many weapons and be a sitting/ fleeing duck for the second interval each time.

"Excuse me sir one moment, can we stop every third swing please" :lol:
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

violator
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by violator »

This is all awesome information! I appreciate the feedback. The Poisoning template is interesting... That skill was always in the back of my mind, but I never gave it a lot of thought.

One thing that makes the decisions interesting/difficult is that there are some skills that are not effective without others.

Anatomy and Healing

Any fighting skill and Tactics (an argument could be made for Anatomy as a necessity too)

Magery pretty much requires Meditation and Eval, and if you're going to go through all of that you may as well be doing Resist too, which you kind of need regardless of the others.

I don't do a lot of PvP, but it is nice to be able to survive if you have to, so this also has to be considered in the "big picture".

WOW! Quite a balancing act if you're going for perfection. Probably too much thinking about it (OCD) and not enough playing and having fun. :-)

Thanks again guys!
Death smiles at us all, but all a man can do is smile back.

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

I really don't see the point in a poisoning dexxer for PvM. The monsters that will be alive long enough for DP to matter aren't going to be the types you farm with a dexxer and in PvP deadly poison can be cured with a store bought cure. Its not like DP kegs are either cheap or easy to crank out. There's a big failure rate even at GM alchemy.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

Mad Max
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mad Max »

Healing 50 Magery 50 Int 25

This way you don't have to mess with magery/int at all and you can ultimately choose in the end how much magery you want exactly, because you definetly want magery unless you want to just scroll recall at 0 magery which can be time consuming sometimes. Everything else is easy to raise from skill bought, resist you just do fire field until you hit a wall at 55.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Yeah if I have Healing on my character or/and Magery those two skills are best to start with. Really tedious to raise them both, healing especially at low levels.

Hildigam

Post by Hildigam »

I have a character I'm working on, and is close to being done, that is:

100 Swords
100 Tactics
100 Resist
100 Archery
85 Healing
85 Anatomy
80 Hiding
50 Magery

This allows me to hunt most monsters in PvM (Archery opens up Poison Elementals and others) while still being fairly strong in PvP. My first character had Hiding to get away from PKs and the like and I've found it can be used quite effectively on offense as well. 85 Healing and 85 Anatomy is enough to resurrect and gives your attacks a bit more stopping power. 50 Magery is enough to get around and I keep a few scrolls on me for times when I absolutely need to get the recall off.

It's a fun build and wasn't very hard or expensive to develop. Archery and Resist aren't quite GM yet on my character, but they're close.