Slow Gains?

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Vile

Slow Gains?

Post by Vile »

Right now I am macroing wrstleing on one of my characters by using my main character as a "punching bag" and the gains are really slow in 3 hours I only gained 3.2 points going from 27-30.2 is there a better way to do this perhaps im doing it worng?

the punching bag character is not hitting my character back (to make heals easier) while my character trying to gain is just well punching him over and over...

is this right or should i have a weapon equipped on my punching bag? to make him harder to hit? or does this not matter?

tried both ways gains were both extremeley slow....

Malaikat

Re: Slow Gains?

Post by Malaikat »

Got to use a mob or NPC. I don't recall pc to pc gains being gimped on OSI, but for some reason that's how it is here. Hire a fighter and tell him "all gaurd me".
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Yes, use an NPC to train your melee skills.

You can use a fighter from Jehlom or Brit, but I actually prefer Paladins from Delucia. Go hire one, then trap him with boxes, say all guard me, attack, say all follow me, and without tabbing out, run about a screen away. When you come back you should still be hitting him, be he should not be hitting you. If you are not hitting him, start over and run closer. If he's still hitting you, just run a bit farther.

Or, you could do the same thing, and insteaed of running cast invis on you, that should do the trick.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Vile

Post by Vile »

Pirul wrote:Yes, use an NPC to train your melee skills.

You can use a fighter from Jehlom or Brit, but I actually prefer Paladins from Delucia. Go hire one, then trap him with boxes, say all guard me, attack, say all follow me, and without tabbing out, run about a screen away. When you come back you should still be hitting him, be he should not be hitting you. If you are not hitting him, start over and run closer. If he's still hitting you, just run a bit farther.

Or, you could do the same thing, and insteaed of running cast invis on you, that should do the trick.
I just set my healer up to heal both the pally and my char trying to gain... might as well gain a few points in healing while i macro this even thou im at 98.5 but i did just gain .1.... lawls.... But thanks a lot gains are great now in about 2 hours i have gaines 20 points compared to the 3 points i got eariler today in 2 hours.. lawls... thanks for the help again guys!

blister

Post by blister »

I don't know what's up with melee gains here.

On OSI I was macroing all my melee skills in my house on my other character.

I don't understand how this could be forgotten

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

blister wrote:I don't know what's up with melee gains here.

On OSI I was macroing all my melee skills in my house on my other character.

I don't understand how this could be forgotten
I did the same, but gains seemed painfully slow no matter where you were training, or with what, on OSI.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Sparring has been deemed NEA (not era accurate). I too remember quite clearly GMing swds, wrestling and tactics sparring with guildmates, however evidence apparently points to it being in another era.

morganm

Post by morganm »

Pirul wrote:Yes, use an NPC to train your melee skills.

What's with the running off screen and stuff?

I just say 'all guard me', tab to War Mode, attack... they don't attack back or anything.

I also find I need several healers to keep regular fighters alive. One guy just dedicated to healing the fighter plus the guy attacking to heal the fighter. Now these characters only have ~70 healing so they do fail now and then.

Usually just let this setup go over night and they rage on until the cloth runs out!

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

morganm wrote: What's with the running off screen and stuff?

I just say 'all guard me', tab to War Mode, attack... they don't attack back or anything.
Wrong. They most certainly attack back, even after issuing and all stay or all stop. I find attacking while hidden works perfect.
I also find I need several healers to keep regular fighters alive. One guy just dedicated to healing the fighter plus the guy attacking to heal the fighter. Now these characters only have ~70 healing so they do fail now and then.
That can't possibly be correct. Were you using a gm weapon or something? I've gmed swords and I've currently got >90 macing on another char who's macroing right now at Jhelom bank. My heal macro is set to pause for 200 seconds ATM.

morganm

Post by morganm »

I know you say it's wrong but I've done it 3 nights in a row now... perhaps there's a difference in method but I'm certainly not making this shit up. I'll explain what I'm doing and you can compare that to how you do it to see where there may be a difference.

I go to a tavern, hire a fighter, and say "all guard me"... he turns grey and follows me everywhere. Gate everyone to the tower, run upstairs, equip a store bought dagger, tab into war mode, and attack the fighter. The character which hired the fighter is now attacking him and running a macro to use bandage on him every 6 seconds. The fighter twitches into war mode and then out again instantly and proceeds to just stand there getting pummeled by the guy that hired him. Quickly I have to fire up my other healer to use a bandage on the fighter every 6 seconds.

If I don't have two guys healing him he's dead in about 15 seconds. This is because one healer fails some times, then the fighter's hits get so low that the next heal attempt has even higher chance of failure, heal fails again, and the fighter is dead. With two healers (both a few points over 70 healing) at least one of the two will likely have a successful heal. I can't have two healing attempts fail in a row or the fighter is dead. Thus I need more than one healer since my healers skill is still rather low.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

What's your fencing? Maybe a paladin would be better? They have more skill and I would assume more hit points. Also, why use a store bought dagger doing 3-15 damage when your starting/newbie dagger should do 2-4? That right there is likely your problem, but I gmed swords using a skinning knife (1-10 dmg) and never had more than one healer. My healing was <70 at the time too.

morganm

Post by morganm »

Malaikat wrote:What's your fencing? Maybe a paladin would be better? They have more skill and I would assume more hit points. Also, why use a store bought dagger doing 3-15 damage when your starting/newbie dagger should do 2-4? That right there is likely your problem, but I gmed swords using a skinning knife (1-10 dmg) and never had more than one healer. My healing was <70 at the time too.
What are you doing that's different than me? I don't understand why you have to hide or invis.

Fencing / Tactics went from 30 to 100; I started needing two healers around 50 fencing / tact (plus my anatomy is high too so that's causing more DMG =)

I don't claim what I do is better or efficient; but what I've explained isn't wrong. I just didn't understand what was with all the running / hiding / invis. Seemed rather straight forward to me... "all guard me", tab, attack, and keep the guy alive with out taking any damage yourself.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

morganm wrote:What's with the running off screen and stuff?
That this method can actually be used in town with less chance of being griefed. If people see a grey NPC, they'll be all over it.

Granted I have not used the "all guard me" comand for this in a while, but at least that's how it last worked when I did.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Pirul wrote:
morganm wrote:What's with the running off screen and stuff?
That this method can actually be used in town with less chance of being griefed. If people see a grey NPC, they'll be all over it.

Granted I have not used the "all guard me" comand for this in a while, but at least that's how it last worked when I did.
That's how it works now. You have them guard you, attack, and they most certainly attack back regardless of stop or stay command being issued. You've got to hide or run to get them off aggro.

morganm

Post by morganm »

I see what you mean now.

Yes they aggro on you but they don't actually fight back causing damage to you.

I never worried about them being grey since I'm not in town.