pvp hotkeys (coming from divinity)

Topics related to Second Age
Gilgamesh

pvp hotkeys (coming from divinity)

Post by Gilgamesh »

I'm finishing up my pvp tank mage and wondering how to optimize my hot keys. One thing that is probably different here from divinity and the other inaccurate t2a servers is that harm probably plays a smaller role, if any, in pvp. Anyone have any tips?

Sandro

Re: pvp hotkeys (coming from divinity)

Post by Sandro »

Easiest way to pick up info on how pvp works would probably be to just spectate a few tournaments.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

kwhiz73
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kwhiz73 »

Or....better yet go fight some lich lords solo for a little while.

Edit:

Harm plays a big role in pking from what I've seen, but I doubt it's utilized too often in consensual pvp--I stand to be corrected on this if I'm wrong.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Harm is used to disrupt

morganm

Post by morganm »

About hotkeys....

You really should tailor them to your play style. That being said; I've really been happy with utilizing ALT + home row keys for my most quickly accessible commands. This is coming from someone who spent the last 11 years using F keys for everything... they are just too far away and not enough of them. ALT+A, ALT+S, ALT+D, ALT+F, ALT+G are all accessed with great speed; just a slip of the thumb from SpaceBar to ALT and start mashing some keys.

My other quickly accessed hotkeys are on the mouse; sadly I have a pretty basic mouse but SCROLL UP is Target Self, SCROLL DOWN is Last Target, Click Scroll Wheel is Set Last Target and ALT + Click Scroll Wheel is Clear Target.

From there I expand to ALT + Q,W,E,R,T and Z,X,C,V.

Further away are ALT + 1,2,3,4,5,6 (anything past 6 is hard for my index finger to reach)

Finally the furthest away, and least important, are the F keys... F1 - F12 all do something. Usually spoken commands for pets, NPCs, and houses.

Why ALT and not CTRL? To use CTRL I have to use my pinky which takes it away from Q,A,Z... I do use CTRL + keys but for less important commands. Yeah; I could use my right hand but honestly I've used my left pinky for CTRL, SHIFT, CAPS, and TAB for 20 years... I'm not even going to try and break that habit... it was hard enough switching from F keys. =P

CTRL SHIFT ~ is Resync client =P Gots to have that one!

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

You don't have to use ALT+, CTRL+, SHIFT+, or anything else like that. you can simply use the letters or numbers. That's why during events, you will see people saying what looks like garbled nonsense. That's their hotkeys. I'll often say something along the lines of "pxoxiMZNZ LZKZmznz mznz m".

"What if I wanna talk and don't wanna shoot spells while I do it?" Easy, set a hotkey for "disable Razor hotkeys".

For me,
Offensive hotkeys are bottom right row (m, n, b, etc), targetting hotkeys are bottom left row (z, x, c, etc), buffs are top right row (p, o, i, etc), debuffs are middle right row (l, k, j, etc), equip hally is space bar, med is caps lock, and random other things are scattered around the keyboard in strategic places.

JUST DON'T FORGET TO TURN OFF YOUR HOTKEYS BEFORE YOU TALK! I've hit myself with an explod-ebolt combo before because I forgot that.

I do have some hotkeys that are CTRL+, or ALT+, but that's just cuz I've had them since before I learned about the "disable" hotkey and they are second nature at this point. For my pvp hotkeys, I wanted to be most efficient. Hitting 2 keys at once for every spell, target, etc, didn't seem very efficient to me.

The thing about my hotkeys is, I usually use a laptop (with the touchpad, not a mouse), so my hotkeys are tailored to be convenient to reach from there.

You just have to look at how you play and figure out what works for you. Almost any key can be a hotkey, so be creative.
|| Atx Mini Mall | Atraxi's Great Real Estate ||

IRC: Atraxi on @#bpd +#NEW #SecondAge #C^V

<GreenPlastic> I want Five Guys inside me right now
Millerisfuntoplay wrote:Atraxi pwned me =(

Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

Ya I have a disable hotkey and use regular keys all over the board for hotkeys, saving alt and ctrl for less important stuff (non pvp). My only question was if harm was important, cause my most important hotkeys from divinity were harm and arm, e-bolt explo g heal etc. But if harm isn't used much here I would move it down to less important location.

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

Gilgamesh wrote:Ya I have a disable hotkey and use regular keys all over the board for hotkeys, saving alt and ctrl for less important stuff (non pvp). My only question was if harm was important, cause my most important hotkeys from divinity were harm and arm, e-bolt explo g heal etc. But if harm isn't used much here I would move it down to less important location.
Yeah, harm is definitely important. It disrupts spells, which (needless to say) is important in mage vs mage combat.
|| Atx Mini Mall | Atraxi's Great Real Estate ||

IRC: Atraxi on @#bpd +#NEW #SecondAge #C^V

<GreenPlastic> I want Five Guys inside me right now
Millerisfuntoplay wrote:Atraxi pwned me =(

Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

Atraxi wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:Ya I have a disable hotkey and use regular keys all over the board for hotkeys, saving alt and ctrl for less important stuff (non pvp). My only question was if harm was important, cause my most important hotkeys from divinity were harm and arm, e-bolt explo g heal etc. But if harm isn't used much here I would move it down to less important location.
Yeah, harm is definitely important. It disrupts spells, which (needless to say) is important in mage vs mage combat.
Ya I can see that, but in divinity you used harm every time you did an explo/ebolt combo, here with the recast delay that doesn't really work. I guess I should just watch some tourny's and then try to remember how real t2a pvp worked from that. My memory is hazy but I remember using low circle spells very little and mostly going off of 6th and sometimes lightning, timing combos with hally well, and working disruptions and recast delays on the other person to stop their g heals rather than relying on low circle like harm for that.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

-
Last edited by Kabal on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Kabal, do you use query last target? I'd imagine you would run into issues with target last being macro'd to wheel up.

Also, where's your target self?
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

For target self I usually just click my life bar, but I would like to find a handy spot for that. And, nope, dont run into issues with last target on mouse wheel. One thing I would like to do is figure out a less awkward spot for my potions.

what is query last target?

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Sorry, meant queue last target...

Why not use some other function keys for your pots? You using F5-F8 for anything?
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

f5 equip magic reflect item, f6 unequip magic reflect item, f7 teleport ring,

I just never used que last target, I suppose I'd have to start using it to decide on a good place for it. :/

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Kabal wrote:f5 equip magic reflect item, f6 unequip magic reflect item, f7 teleport ring,

I just never used que last target, I suppose I'd have to start using it to decide on a good place for it. :/
que last is an option under the "options" tab in razor. As the name suggests, it will target something before you actually have a target cursor. I asked if you have it disabled because I could easily see that you would wheel up 2 or 3 times, which may que your next spell to hit your target even if you didn't want it to...